SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #331 of 2,824
Will 03rd party coverage be able to repair niche product like Sony signature series?
Probably not so it’s basically money back or buy a new - which is my gamble with it. They’ll have to pay me money or get me a new one, unless they have an agreement with Sony or something for other products and will send it there to get fixed anyway. The latter might be very likely too.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #332 of 2,824
Order total $3,988.76

Then later I got a ~$42 invoice from FedEx (US customs) since the device is more than $2,500 that's when they will hold it and ask for your SSN, and you have to register some forms.

Included in the above pricing:

MTSD1T0AKC7MS 1TB SDXC Micro SD Micron with adapter $200.00 + $15 shipping

2-Year Allstate Protection Plan (MP3 $2500 - $2999.99 (cover everything..)
$520.99

2-Year Allstate Protection Plan (Electronics $200-250)
$18.99

Texas Tax $304.00 (for everything, including the protections - it’s something eBay always charges no matter what)

And I had a couple more smaller things like a IEM cable etc,

Seller paid some fees and insurance for shipping etc that was passed to me, but all of this factored in is what a dealer in the US would charge me - but I have a 100% 2 year guarantee.

I thought about getting your’s but for this amount of money I wanted something for coverage which is why I went this route and I also wouldn’t have the time/experience to deal with out of warranty repairs/sourcing of parts etc.,
Allow me to share what I think and what I usually would do.

Encompass is the main carrier of Sony parts, and if they don’t have it here in the NA, no one will do. There is no need to source them anywhere else. Sony parts are very easily obtained. If there were anything ever wrong with the Walkman, such as batteries, connectors, internal wires, antennas, screen cracks….etc, I can always take care of them, if the $$ was paid to me rather than buying Allstate insurances whom don’t even know what you are talking about lol!!!

I, myself, dislike insurance claims generally, even when buying new cars, or appliances, they are just horrible all around. The only one I would pay additional insurance to is the local hardware store where I personally know them that they sell warranty by themselves and hire local workforces with proper trainings and properly equipped with different personnel and different dedications. It had been here locally owned for more than 3 generations and whenever there is something wrong, they always take good care of their own stuff that they sold.

For all that said the way I look at what you described and if I was in your shoes, I would have saved that $520, and if something happened down the road, I would take into account of depreciation and add more $ to buy the next device. Assuming the deal for 1Z was $2800. Your insurance costed 18.5%.

Now, if something was to happen to it, you would need to pick up the phone, call around and waiting about, get transferred, waiting for call back…etc…waiting for approval…seeing what they can do to reimburse you. In case that they could and would sent it for repair, you would need to wait around for shipping, then waiting some more, and if it ended up “non fixable due to parts availability” then you would need to wait for a new device sending to you. How long are all of those waiting, phone calling…etc…is worth it to a person ? I have no clues, but I personally hate it when I have to deal with it.

So, when sheets hit the fan, I rather pay out of my pocket, within %20 and ask for a known person, service place, to work on my stuff. If not, I would just take that was my “luck” and so I would just use that 20% + some more and buy new product. (Depreciation + my luck + new device) usually worth it in the end lol.

Back to this high gain stuff, why the Japan devices has no restrains ? But the rest of the world ? What in the blue sky ? If that was what it would be, people would be just buying from Amazon Japan, import it ? Also, I would think Amazon warranty would be worth it, because they sell all kinds of stuff and is almost a world monopoly, if something happened, they would either refund 100% or replace to new device with no questions asked. That is what I would think ? But then again, as I mentioned above

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #333 of 2,824
Allow me to share what I think and what I usually would do.

Encompass is the main carrier of Sony parts, and if they don’t have it here in the NA, no one will do. There is no need to source them anywhere else. Sony parts are very easily obtained. If there were anything ever wrong with the Walkman, such as batteries, connectors, internal wires, antennas, screen cracks….etc, I can always take care of them, if the $$ was paid to me rather than buying Allstate insurances whom don’t even know what you are talking about lol!!!

I, myself, dislike insurance claims generally, even when buying new cars, or appliances, they are just horrible all around. The only one I would pay additional insurance to is the local hardware store where I personally know them that they sell warranty by themselves and hire local workforces with proper trainings and properly equipped with different personnel and different dedications. It had been here locally owned for more than 3 generations and whenever there is something wrong, they always take good care of their own stuff that they sold.

For all that said the way I look at what you described and if I was in your shoes, I would have saved that $520, and if something happened down the road, I would take into account of depreciation and add more $ to buy the next device. Assuming the deal for 1Z was $2800. Your insurance costed 18.5%.

Now, if something was to happen to it, you would need to pick up the phone, call around and waiting about, get transferred, waiting for call back…etc…waiting for approval…seeing what they can do to reimburse you. In case that they could and would sent it for repair, you would need to wait around for shipping, then waiting some more, and if it ended up “non fixable due to parts availability” then you would need to wait for a new device sending to you. How long are all of those waiting, phone calling…etc…is worth it to a person ? I have no clues, but I personally hate it when I have to deal with it.

So, when sheets hit the fan, I rather pay out of my pocket, within %20 and ask for a known person, service place, to work on my stuff. If not, I would just take that was my “luck” and so I would just use that 20% + some more and buy new product. (Depreciation + my luck + new device) usually worth it in the end lol.

Back to this high gain stuff, why the Japan devices has no restrains ? But the rest of the world ? What in the blue sky ? If that was what it would be, people would be just buying from Amazon Japan, import it ? Also, I would think Amazon warranty would be worth it, because they sell all kinds of stuff and is almost a world monopoly, if something happened, they would either refund 100% or replace to new device with no questions asked. That is what I would think ? But then again, as I mentioned above
I know all this and I never buy these when I buy something in the US… this still saved me money compared to a US dealer - if it hadn’t I would not had done it. And it’s a drop protection/water damage etc so not just a warranty.

And yes if I had to send in for repairs (online claims) and it took a long time I’d just get something else in the meantime most likely. It was to have something than nothing. The full coverage also means that if they start to mess around and send me into a spinning orbit… a lemon can be squashed quicker under such a warranty than a regular one as carelessness is also covered…

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #335 of 2,824
What I find strange is that it's 29th, 2 days post launch, and there's no English review at all :laughing: I already watched all the Japanese ones....
Well portable audio is not a big thing in NA as it is in Asian country
Headphones, speakers, DACs, amps get more attention in NA.
Even signature series doesn’t have many English reviews.
If you search, you will find more video reviews of MDR-Z1R than that of Walkman.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #336 of 2,824
Order a JP version with original case at Ebay, was shipped today through Fedex, estimated delivery 2/3/2023 before 6:00 pm.
As usually, I believe the customs themselves in this banana republic will take longer :)) Lets see what drama and cost it brings this time.

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #337 of 2,824
Maybe Sony is righting the ship for North America? I already ordered a JP version, but for others I hope Sony does the right thing here. Here's my reply to a post in the A300 thread.

I ordered my A306 from Sony USA on Jan 26. Yesterday the 28th it was out for delivery, but it never came, now the delivery date is showing as Pending. I hope it comes soon.
I hope the delivery delay is caused by Sony's sudden 'discovery' that they bungled the output power for North America units (A306 and ZX707) and they are on the path to correcting their mistake. Hopefully you'll receive a unit with 35mW per channel output instead of the crippled 1.1mW output. Fingers crossed Sony is fixing their debacle.

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #338 of 2,824
I'd love to do a teardown, of both models, but I can't afford either of them right now, and any teardown would have to be on a second unit, since I would like to use one for my own use.
I wasn't implying a teardown by you. Sometimes you have teardowns by 52Audio... of course I don't expect a teardown from them either.

Jan 29, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #339 of 2,824
Is the volume limited only for the headphone jack, or does it also limit output via Bluetooth? Isn't it true that in a Bluetooth connection, the Walkman's amp isn't used, offloading amplification to the headphones?

Jan 29, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #340 of 2,824
Is the volume limited only for the headphone jack, or does it also limit output via Bluetooth? Isn't it true that in a Bluetooth connection, the Walkman's amp isn't used, offloading amplification to the headphones?
No crippling of BT.

Not just amp but DAC too so might as well feed out of your Android phone unless you want to apply Sony DSP/EQ tricks etc.

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #342 of 2,824
Order a JP version with original case at Ebay, was shipped today through Fedex, estimated delivery 2/3/2023 before 6:00 pm.
As usually, I believe the customs themselves in this banana republic will take longer :)) Lets see what drama and cost it brings this time.
not if the value is under $2,500 and the seller has filled in the right details, mine spent 2 days in customs and that was because I had to fill in custom papers due to the higher value.

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #343 of 2,824
Why “tear down” ? If you don’t mind me asking ?
@Ascariss replied to me about a possible future battery replacement for ZX707. He has blogged about some Sony earphone teardowns by 52Audio which show the method of disassembly of the entire earphone and charging case (WF-1000XM4 as an example). So I asked if there would be a teardown of the ZX707 on the Walkman Blog which would show the disassembly method. That's all. I don't want anyone to crack open a near kilobuck DAP for this purpose unless it was totally dead and no possible repair could be made. You know what I mean...

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #344 of 2,824
@Ascariss replied to me about a possible future battery replacement for ZX707. He has blogged about some Sony earphone teardowns by 52Audio which show the method of disassembly of the entire earphone and charging case (WF-1000XM4 as an example). So I asked if there would be a teardown of the ZX707 on the Walkman Blog which would show the disassembly method. That's all. I don't want anyone to crack open a near kilobuck DAP for this purpose unless it was totally dead and no possible repair could be made. You know what I mean...
Walkman has soldered on battery packs, the user can not change it, unless they are experienced in these matter as soldering close proximity battery terminals can easily bring a short and blow it up (very dangerous stuff)

Jan 29, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #345 of 2,824
Walkman has soldered on battery packs, the user can not change it, unless they are experienced in these matter as soldering close proximity battery terminals can easily bring a short and blow it up (very dangerous stuff)
Agreed. Not easy to do at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back