SONY NW-ZX700
Feb 4, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #496 of 2,676
DAPs1.jpg

So lets compare how I see it. Mostly I do listen to techno/dance music, have used the same EQ settings on all of them, tested with IER-M9 (Kimber Kable).

NWZX707 vs. NWZX507 (burnt in I guess)
Its hard even to compare these two. ZX707 seems much better to me soundwise, it does sound richer, has much wider soundstage and overall feeling is just amazing compared to its precedor. Also the SW experience is very very good. As of the build quality, I think this is the best DAP Sony has made yet. Its just beautiful. Feels snug in my hand (I have small hands), but still its too heavy to carry around. For my walks, I guess I still will go for ZX507. I also got the original case, which is simply perfect. Even the ZX507 original case is way better than the bent crappy one for NWWM1AM2.

NWZX707 vs. NWWM1AM2 (burn in 44h)
Yes, NWM1AM2 has wider soundstage, overall it sounds better then NWZX707, but its not a big difference to my ears as ZX707 compared to ZX507. It seems to me that ZX707 has more bass, it slams better at some points. It gets really hard here comparing this two. It feels better to hold the ZX707 then the brick, so here, it really is hard to decide for which one to go as they both are not really to be taken for walks outside (I am not the guy putting stuff in my pockets, rather jacket).

I try to put it on a scale as I see it:
NWZX507 - 1
NWZX707 - 7
NWWM1AM2 - 10
(not meaning ZX507 is bad, but to point out the difference how i feel/see it)

If I would have to decide which one to keep, I would keep NWZX707. Sounds great, is snuggy, nice case - premium combo. Yes, NWWM1AM2 sounds better! And the NWW1AM2 with IER-M9 is my best Sony combo. I will get back to try with IER-Z1R.
Nice comparison. Have you had time to measure battery life yet? Is it anywhere close to what Sony has stated? TIA

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #497 of 2,676
Hey, actually i was about switching from M11 plus but the ESS version to ZX707. Just coincidence that your previous DAP is M11 plus too (although yours is AK).
And for same purpose to be paired with Z1R.
Can you tell me more about their comparisons?
Thanks in advance man
TL;DR : Go for the ZX707.

As standalone DAPs:

Coming to the comparison of M11Plus LTD VS NW-ZX707 as standalone daps running Z1R via Balanced PO, I'd pick the ZX707 over the M11Plus LTD any given day. The major factor that works against the M11Plus LTD is the amp section IMO. The THX AAA78 implementation (atleast on the AKM version) is weak. It almost flattens the dynamic range and has a very mid centric presentation, this makes the music sound quite soulless. It kills the emotion impact of a track and often ends up softening and de-emphasizing bass and treble extensions.

The ZX707 on the other hand is a bit darker in tone with a holographic presentation, this really brings the music to life. Sounds with the most lowest of lows can be heard clearly. Personally, the most important factor that works in favor of ZX707, is the DSP options (DC Phase Linearizer and Vinyl Processor). These options help me manage the SQ (particularly the bass response when it comes to the Z1R), based on different genres / moods.

DSD Upsampling:
Even the DSD remastering option on the ZX707 seems to be more enhanced than the "All to DSD" option on the M11Plus LTD. Although, I don't use DSD upsampling usually, it helps when I wanna understand an IEMs capability in terms of resolution / detail retrieval (for reviews).

With portable amps:
The M11Plus has more power, but it didn't necessarily bring out more details per se. Adding an amp like HUM-MA1B or Gryphon (4.4mm Line input), indeed improved detail retrieval with both the DAPs. However, the ZX707 sounded a lot more engaging and enjoyable in comparison.

Reference tracks (used for this comparison)

1. Azeem O Shaan Shehenshah (AR Rahman) [Hi-Res Lossless]

2. Tangerine Thumri (Prem Joshua)

Hope this helps, and sorry if I bored you with this long reply. 🙃

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #498 of 2,676

As standalone DAPs:

Coming to the comparison of M11Plus LTD VS NW-ZX707 as standalone daps running Z1R via Balanced PO, I'd pick the ZX707 over the M11Plus LTD any given day. The major factor that works against the M11Plus LTD is the amp section IMO. The THX AAA78 implementation (atleast on the AKM version) is weak. It almost flattens the dynamic range and has a very mid centric presentation, this makes the music sound quite soulless. It kills the emotion impact of a track and often ends up softening and de-emphasizing bass and treble extensions.

The ZX707 on the other hand is a bit darker in tone with a holographic presentation, this really brings the music to life. Sounds with the most lowest of lows can be heard clearly. Personally, the most important factor that works in favor of ZX707, is the DSP options (DC Phase Linearizer and Vinyl Processor). These options help me manage the SQ (particularly the bass response when it comes to the Z1R), based on different genres / moods.

DSD Upsampling:
Even the DSD remastering option on the ZX707 seems to be more enhanced than the "All to DSD" option on the M11Plus LTD. Although, I don't use DSD upsampling usually, it helps when I wanna understand an IEMs capability in terms of resolution / detail retrieval (for reviews).

With portable amps:
The M11Plus has more power, but it didn't necessarily bring out more details per se. Adding an amp like HUM-MA1B or Gryphon (4.4mm Line input), indeed improved detail retrieval with both the DAPs. However, the ZX707 sounded a lot more engaging and enjoyable in comparison.

Thanks for detailed reply bro! The M11 plus is indeed more neutral DAP without adding punch nor crispness while Sony's sounded more warm and fun at the same time. Guess the ZX707 is more towards fun similar like DX160 / DX240.
I will reconsider getting ZX707 then (which previously let me down with that no high gain issue).
Gonna look for one with high gain function

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #499 of 2,676
It seems ESG Singapore took on this new regulation due to a complaint by a 3rd party company/society. Do enquire more to find out.
Hello, have you managed to contact ESG Singapore? If so, have you received any reply?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #501 of 2,676
Nice comparison. Have you had time to measure battery life yet? Is it anywhere close to what Sony has stated? TIA
I didnt, but I am playing with ZX707 since ytd here and then and the battery dropped from 90 (i think there stopped charging at battery care on) to 56, with wifi still on. I was iOS raised using iPhone ever since, but this android version is a beast compared to the one in NWWM1AM2.

Feb 5, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #502 of 2,676
I didnt, but I am playing with ZX707 since ytd here and then and the battery dropped from 90 (i think there stopped charging at battery care on) to 56, with wifi still on. I was iOS raised using iPhone ever since, but this android version is a beast compared to the one in NWWM1AM2. I wouldnt compare NWZX707 with its precedor, but rather put it little behind WM1AM2.

Feb 5, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #503 of 2,676

As standalone DAPs:

DSD Upsampling:

With portable amps:

The ZX-707 has line out?

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #504 of 2,676
I didnt, but I am playing with ZX707 since ytd here and then and the battery dropped from 90 (i think there stopped charging at battery care on) to 56, with wifi still on. I was iOS raised using iPhone ever since, but this android version is a beast compared to the one in NWWM1AM2.

Beast in what way? Quicker?

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #507 of 2,676
Yes it does respond way better then NWWM1AM2 with its Android version. To me, ZX707 is not just an upgrade to ZX507, but rather a better alternative to WM1AM2. Anyway, no gain (JP version) slamming at 106/120 with IER-M9 (4.4..) cant get more… I should get the EU version finally :)
I listen at about 85-90 low gain 4.4mm with my M9 using WM1AM2.

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #509 of 2,676
Is the 1AM2 a big step up from the 507? And from the original 1A if you've heard it, thanks.
Didn't have 1A but did have ZX507 and it is an improvent over that IMO. Not sure I'd use big in any of this hobby.

Feb 5, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #510 of 2,676
Didn't have 1A but did have ZX507 and it is an improvent over that IMO. Not sure I'd use big in any of this hobby.

I'm tempted to get a 1AM2 or 707 (uncapped) but have read once or twice there's little improvement over the original. The 707 design doesn't really grab me like the other players, that's one thing the 507 had over others imo - the form factor, the size was just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back