SONY NW-ZX700
Feb 1, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #406 of 2,664
Sony could have implemented a HIGH GAIN (HG) function access through completing certain/complicated steps that are found in the manual with WARNINGS ⚠️.

I'm sure the average user wouldn't do this and can stay on the default LOW GAIN setting.

It's just sad state that some of the biggest markets won't have the HG. They should get sued for false advertising and drop the price by 50%.

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #407 of 2,664
Sony could have implemented a HIGH GAIN (HG) function access through completing certain/complicated steps that are found in the manual with WARNINGS ⚠️.

I'm sure the average user wouldn't do this and can stay on the default LOW GAIN setting.

It's just sad state that some of the biggest markets won't have the HG. They should get sued for false advertising and drop the price by 50%.
Not worth it at 50% off.

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #408 of 2,664
Updating so far for NX707 variants :
Buyer Beware!

EU version : NO high gain
US version : NO high gain
Japan version : High gain
Singapore version : NO high gain
Malaysian version : High gain
Hong Kong version : High gain
Canada version : NO high gain
India version : High gain
Pure stupidity. No way I will even consider this then.

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #409 of 2,664
There are Japanese Ebay sellers selling the zx707 for less than US Amazon's 899$. Are they knock offs? If not how are they able to sell for less than MSRP?
It’s MSRP in the US, not global. Even in India if you convert the INR to USD, it’s cheaper.

Amazon JP prices

Sony Zx707 - 754$
Sony Zx707 + Leather case - 824$

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #410 of 2,664
It’s one thing to have volume limiter in place as default shipped settings to prevent hearing loss but it is another thing to blanket reduce power out and remove high gain all together.

Sony could have implemented a more targeted approach to hearing loss prevention by allowing the Walkman owner to key in the sensitivity and ohm rating to allow for a more targeted approach to loudness control for the amplifier output. If the user chooses to key in incorrect data then the responsibility of hearing loss is no longer Sony’s legal responsibility.

let’s see if future Sony products like Bluetooth headphones and iems released in Singapore, USA and Canada will also affected by this new IEC standard.

This is really disappointing for the way which they implemented this hearing loss protection. This is going to reduce the transient dynamics of more power hungry audiophile headphones. Music is a dynamic signal that swings from moment to moment and to be limited to 1.1mW is likely going to make your iem/headphone not able to reproduce sound details with enough energy. That powerful drum beat or that cymbal clash of a live concert would be strictly limited to under 90db. A short duration of 95db transient sound is not going to damage your ears long term. You are exposed to more longer duration louder noises outdoor like when you take the metro.

I would like to see if they would implement this stupid IEC standard for Movie Theatres. Let’s see if movie explosion sounds are strictly limited to under 90db would be great for protecting hearing too?
Good point, but who knows? Some lady driving around with a hot cup of coffee between her legs (McDonalds), is $600k richer from winning a lawsuit. Apparently the lid popped off, and bingo a new house...

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #412 of 2,664
Just received mine. Good going so far. Still early days. Synergy between these two very good. Z1R, obviously needs more power. But as a pair, these two are very good.
EA7C8C00-7317-4AA2-8E53-3DA607299313.jpeg

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #413 of 2,664
For those who already bought the Zx707, did you guys find any screen protectors ? I’ve searched everywhere and found none !
I bought these https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0BS3DZHHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Unfortunately, they are behind my ZX707 which already came yesterday. So unpacking has to wait as I dont use the DAPs without screen protector.
I bought the DAP through an Ebay reseller at 1069 EUR for DAP & orig. case + 23% VAT at clearance. So the price is the same as I paid last year for the same package of WM1AM2 (with Case) through Amazon JP.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #414 of 2,664
I bought these https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0BS3DZHHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Unfortunately, they are behind my ZX707 which already came yesterday. So unpacking has to wait as I dont use the DAPs without screen protector.
I bought the DAP through an Ebay reseller at 1069 EUR for DAP & orig. case + 23% VAT at clearance. So the price is the same as I paid last year for the same package of WM1AM2 (with Case) through Amazon JP.
Thank you. I’ve ordered it now, no estimated delivery date yet.
Same for me. I don’t use my gadgets without a screen protector and I’m afraid my DAP will also arrive first !

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #415 of 2,664
Just received mine. Good going so far. Still early days. Synergy between these two very good. Z1R, obviously needs more power. But as a pair, these two are very good.
EA7C8C00-7317-4AA2-8E53-3DA607299313.jpeg
Z1R need more power on this ZX707? Are you using high gain?
Initially I wanna buy for pairing with Z1R too, but then this IEC thingy made me think twice, and if the ZX707 can't drive Z1R so no point of getting it.
And I like to hear IEM in loud volumes maybe louder than average user

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #416 of 2,664
Initially I wanna buy for pairing with Z1R too, but then this IEC thingy made me think twice, and if the ZX707 can't drive Z1R so no point of getting it.
On my M6 Ultra, mid gain, my volume level will be 20. On this, High Gain, Volume at 50 is loud enough for me. Was using Apple Music, DSD On. Has good staging, details, separation, bass slam. It has good synergy. Just opened it and listened for 15-20 mins. Will do an extended listening later.

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #417 of 2,664
Loudness isn't a problem at all when it comes to Z1R on the ZX707. It is pretty loud at 75 / 120 in high gain (balanced out). The Z1R scales brilliantly with power. Hence, I personally felt that some of the detail was lost on ZX707, especially when compared to the xDSD Gryphon or Questyle M15.

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #418 of 2,664
Just tried singapore version of 707 and can confirm no high gain 😥
I brought my ier z1r for a test and ended up getting the Wm1Am2 instead 🤦🏻‍♂️

The zx707 with z1r, i set the volume to 120/120 but still not loud enough

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #419 of 2,664
I am looking to buy one from Japan, I have a family member living there, however they all seem to be sold out on Sony and Amazon??

Also anyone got any advice on doing this and then posting it to me? never done this before. I am assuming import taxes would be £60ish if I bought from Amazon.co.jp would it be free if they sent it to me in a package? Cheers

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #420 of 2,664
Just tried singapore version of 707 and can confirm no high gain 😥
I brought my ier z1r for a test and ended up getting the Wm1Am2 instead 🤦🏻‍♂️

The zx707 with z1r, i set the volume to 120/120 but still not loud enough
250mW of the WM1AM2 should provide more than enough loudness for the IER-Z1R, even on low gain, you probably only need like 90/120 or less for most music mastering. I think at this point, Sony might as well refer all Singaporeans to their Malaysia retail store for the ZX707. Why sell a crippled audiophile device that cannot power your own iem adequately. It’s pure stupidity beyond comprehension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back