SONY NW-ZX700
Mar 12, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #2,596 of 2,641
Mar 12, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #2,597 of 2,641
This is something... new

How can a language setting impact SQ?
On my WM1Z in the past, changing the region code via a software tool, would change sound signature to cater for local taste diifferences. Seems something similar is going on here when changing language, at least I do notice it myself with my gear.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #2,599 of 2,641
I tried it but can't hear a difference (both direct and non direct source)
There is no. Never was. That is a myth that keeps on going strong since years.

I (and others) debunked it several times by even uploading recorded samples using several language settings (i did it back on the WM1Z i owned two years ago)

I still have them, if you want to hear for yourself how big the difference between Japanese and Mexican is. But don't hold your breath, there is non

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #2,600 of 2,641
There is no. Never was. That is a myth that keeps on going strong since years.

I (and others) debunked it several times by even uploading recorded samples using several language settings (i did it back on the WM1Z i owned two years ago)

I still have them, if you want to hear for yourself how big the difference between Japanese and Mexican is. But don't hold your breath, there is non
Well to me there is. And I am not alone in that opinion. Regarding the WM1ZM2 however no difference that I can hear, again, unlike some others in the AM2/ZM2 thread:)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,601 of 2,641
Well to me there is. And I am not alone in that opinion. Regarding the WM1ZM2 however no difference that I can hear, again, unlike some others in the AM2/ZM2 thread:)
This kind of changing random things in the settings and claiming to hear differences is nearing manic religious belief at this point, just claiming to hear a difference doesn’t mean anything, is there any evidence? Any blind testing? Literally anything basic that would prove that this is fact?

This is my issue with most threads on this forum and especially the Am2 thread, that entire active user base sounds like I’m entering some secret underground cult.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #2,602 of 2,641
This kind of changing random things in the settings and claiming to hear differences is nearing manic religious belief at this point, just claiming to hear a difference doesn’t mean anything, is there any evidence? Any blind testing? Literally anything basic that would prove that this is fact?

This is my issue with most threads on this forum and especially the Am2 thread, that entire active user base sounds like I’m entering some secret underground cult.
Perception is reality. What someone "hears" isn't just how their eardrum vibrates, but the mental processing that occurs on that input. All sorts of things can truly be heard, because hearing occurs in the brain, not the ears. Changing languages to optimize sound is too far out there for me, but I don't mind people who are enthusiastic about tweaking and tinkering. For me, "thanks, but no thanks".

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #2,606 of 2,641
Same at my office the other day. My Walkman raised questions like "what is this?".

About the whole changing language changes the sound thing, I'm not too sure. Seems a little far fetched to me although I haven't tried.
Just tell them that it is a mood changing device, if you tell them it is streaming music player, they probably look at you like you are a sect member of a secret cult.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #2,607 of 2,641
Same at my office the other day. My Walkman raised questions like "what is this?".

About the whole changing language changes the sound thing, I'm not too sure. Seems a little far fetched to me although I haven't tried.
You must try it. Here’s a reference of the difference tunings.

US English - Rock, Metal
UK/Europe - Pop, Hip hop
Italian - Jazz
Indian - Classical

So on .. Please note that you need a phone with camera as you’ll most probably need to use Google translate to operate your DAP.

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #2,608 of 2,641
Wow, I switched the DAP language to Italian and played As Tears Go By from The Rolling Stones. Mick Jagger is serenading me beautifully in Italian.

1710372100674.png

Afterwards, I changed the language again to German and Marvin Gaye (How Sweet It Is) and The Beatles (She Loves You) both sang these classics in German! This DAP is amazing. Of course, these are just my humble impressions so YMMV!

1710372169360.png
1710372191123.png

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #2,609 of 2,641
:laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back