SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 16, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #8,581 of 8,639
Quick question, that I hope somebody will take the time to answer. I used autoeq to set my settings for the eqalizer. What I'm wondering is what reference do I look for in jumping up or down because it may be off due to driver differences or preferences? And also what are tuning differences really? Also why do we shoot for that harman dude?
Only thing I look for in eq is if it sounds good to me. It can definitely change depending on what monitors you use. I don't feel like there is a one size fits all when it comes to eq. I take mental notes to the eq setting with what I'm using in comparison to the genre of music.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #8,583 of 8,639
If anyone wanted a Sony Premium Sound SD card (but can't get one since they are discontinued), these are a similar or better replacement:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/SanDisk/SDSDQED-064G-XI?qs=gZXFycFWdAPuTpJ2z5SQUA==

The reason the sd card is so expensive is because it uses industrial grade SLC nand flash instead of MLC or TLC which most SD cards use.

The difference is that each memory cell only stores 1 bit of information instead of 2 bits (MLC) or 3 bits (TLC).

This means each memory cell only needs 2 different voltage states to store either a 1 or a 0 (1 bit of information).

While MLC needs 4 different voltage states per memory cell to store either a 00, 01, 10 & 11 (2 bits of information).

TLC needs 8 different voltage states per memory cell to store either a 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111 (3 bits of information).

TLC is cheapest to produce because you can store the most information per memory cell, and this is what 95% of micro sd cards use.

SLC is best because it has the lowest electrical noise due to minimal voltage states, thicker cell walls, and longest lifespan per cell, among other advantages.

Sony was producing such an SD card but people saw it as a money grab (it was not), people just didn't understand it.

I personally own one of the above linked cards and it sounds a touch cleaner than Sandisk Extreme Pro and Samsung Evo Plus.

Not recommended for people that cannot hear minor differences though.

I also don't want to start an argument with anyone about "it's all digital ones and zeroes so none of this matters". Not interested.
I can confirm microsd card matter. Last year I bought kingston canvas microsd because of flashsale in marketplace (official store) and my music sounds dull and very veiled. It is so noticable. After that I tried and found out my internal storage sounds clearer, so much better. That day following I bought Sandisk ultra, extreme pro, sony, vgen, to compare. If any of you dont believe what I said try to buy kingston canvas and compare it with your current microsd. It is the worst sounding from the few microsd I tested

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #8,584 of 8,639
I can confirm microsd card matter. Last year I bought kingston canvas microsd because of flashsale in marketplace (official store) and my music sounds dull and very veiled. It is so noticable. After that I tried and found out my internal storage sounds clearer, so much better. That day following I bought Sandisk ultra, extreme pro, sony, vgen, to compare. If any of you dont believe what I said try to buy kingston canvas and compare it with your current microsd. It is the worst sounding from the few microsd I tested
I keep using Tidal as my go to and albums keep corrupting themselves if they're lodged to deep in my downloads. Do you think this might fix this? Or is it just for SQ? Also I totally believe you here my man that it does improve. And I'm tempted to pull just for that but I can't really use my dap like I want to until I figure out how to get Tidal downloads to not corrupt. SanDisk 256GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA is what I currently use right now, how close am I to paydirt?

I'm really commited to this hobby, I hope somebody can help me. :)

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #8,585 of 8,639
I keep using Tidal as my go to and albums keep corrupting themselves if they're lodged to deep in my downloads. Do you think this might fix this? Or is it just for SQ? Also I totally believe you here my man that it does improve. And I'm tempted to pull just for that but I can't really use my dap like I want to until I figure out how to get Tidal downloads to not corrupt. SanDisk 256GB Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA is what I currently use right now, how close am I to paydirt?

I'm really commited to this hobby, I hope somebody can help me. :)

Might be or might not mate. Im still looking for microsd too. Im confused which one is better, between SLC and 3D pSLC which one has lower electrical noise

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #8,586 of 8,639
1A and 1Z are amazing when it comes to sound quality (even if I prefer AK), interface, battery life and build quality but I remember that there was no search function which is insane when you know how many songs these devices can hold nowadays ...
I moved away from my iPod six years ago, switching to the Sony NW-ZX300, which has been fantastic. Three years ago I made the mistake (imho) of buying the NW-ZX507. Probably should have done more research, because for my primary purpose (having my full music library available when walking and travelling) I didn't streaming and other functionality; I did like the bigger screen, USB-C interface, and the expectation of some improvement to audio quality. In reality I found that (for me) the drawbacks heavily outweighed the benefits. The Android interface is clunky and awkward to navigate.
1A and 1Z are amazing when it comes to sound quality (even if I prefer AK), interface, battery life and build quality but I remember that there was no search function which is insane when you know how many songs these devices can hold nowadays ...
I moved away from my iPod six years ago, switching to the Sony NW-ZX300, which has been fantastic. Three years ago I made the mistake (imho) of buying the NW-ZX507. Probably should have done more research, because for my primary purpose (having my full music library available when walking and travelling) I don't need streaming and other functionality; I did like the bigger screen, USB-C interface, and the expectation of some improvement to audio quality. In reality I found that (for me) the drawbacks heavily outweighed the benefits. The Android interface is clunky and awkward to navigate. My home computer is an iMac. and Sony no longer has any media transfer app for MacOS, and the 507 doesn't have a Mass Storage mode. Android File Transfer and ActiveSync (via USB or Wireless) are both awkward and over-complicated, so I have reverted to removing the SD card from the 507 and updating it directly from the iMac - not ideal because the card tray is quite fragile and also the card can shift and get trapped if care isn't taken. The battery life on the 507 is less than that on the 300. That's partly because the 500's battery is smaller (1285mAh v 1500 on the 300), the Apps on the 507 consume a lot , and also as far as I can tell the 507 isn't fully turned off using the "OFF" button
I ran a back-to-back test with both - same music files and levels, same wired earphones. Claimed battery life for the 500 with MP3s is 19 hours - in my test I got 20 hours. Under same conditions I got 27 hours with the 300, which claims 30 hours (older battery, so may be starting to degrade). Results were with all apps (except Music), Bluetooth and Wireless disabled on the 507, and Bluetooth disabled on the 300.
Other minor items - matte screen on the 300 is overall better than the larger but very reflective screen on the 507 (but that was easily solved with a Brotect Airglass Matte screen protector (3 years on it still looks like an original Sony screen). Bluetooth connection to my Bose QCII earbuds (and others) is messy - although the buds have been paired with the 507 they won't connect until I go into the Android settings and select them.
For a while I used the 507 as my primary DAP, with the 300 relegated as a spare, occasionally updating the content. I've now flipped back. Updating content via my iMac just needs the 300 USB cable plugging in. The 300 powers up, the SD card mounts, Bombich CCC automatically updates the music library and dismounts the SD card, and I unplug. I've ordered up a replacement battery for when the 300 needs it (Service Manual shows it to be a pretty straightforward swap).
Jus to reiterate, if you need the additional functionality the 507 looks pretty good, but for me, not ideal...

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #8,588 of 8,639
Might be or might not mate. Im still looking for microsd too. Im confused which one is better, between SLC and 3D pSLC which one has lower electrical noise
Did you ever settle on a Micro SD? To my understanding I need one with a 1 in the U symbol. I just don't have a website to scroll and pick one though that I can find.

Jan 10, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #8,594 of 8,639
I do wish the battery was longer, but for how it sounds and its size it is a bit understandable. I do hope Sony revisits this form factor again in the future.
I just think pocket size is the goal here. I mean nothing else other than a DAP and iem’s on the go for a bit is hard to argue against project wise.

Jan 10, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #8,595 of 8,639
I enjoy using this DAP, but the battery life is terrible!!!!
I used to carry mine with a 5000mah battery. Still smaller than your average FAP by itself. Battery life only short with Android apps though. If running your own library, easily pulling 10hrs or so out of this small DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back