SONY NW-ZX500
Mar 25, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #8,071 of 8,642
True - however I would argue that much of what makes that magic Sony sound comes from the DSP.
Much of it comes from the DSP, however your hardware itself must be capable of handling the increased dynamics and provide pin point accurate imaging and soundstaging. In my opinion, the Sony magic comes from both having a stellar hardware design and construction, excellent signal processing implementation and as well as the dedicated craftsmanship of the audio engineers.

Trial and error:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #8,073 of 8,642
Any chance we'll see an update to Android 10?
Only Sony know for sure. The new NW-1AM2 runs the same processor etc at the a105/zx507 and packs android 11 so it’s at least capable of the upgrade, whether Sony give us it is another thing entirely. Here’s hoping!

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #8,074 of 8,642
The money is well spent in my opinion.

The Sandisk extreme pro turned my 5BA IER-M9 which other have described as boring sounding into Mega bass cannons with very aggressive transient delivery, this aggressiveness is even more pronounced with ZX507’s DSEE HX on. It’s like my IER-M9 is on Savage beast mode instead of dancing like a ballerina in the past.
Coming back to your past post as I am looking for THE sd card for my incoming 1AM2. Now using Sandisk Ultras in all my Walkmans. I am thinking of Extreme or even the Extreme PRO. Is it really that step up to choose the PRO f.e.? Did you have a chance to compare that? Thanks!

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #8,075 of 8,642
Only Sony know for sure. The new NW-1AM2 runs the same processor etc at the a105/zx507 and packs android 11 so it’s at least capable of the upgrade, whether Sony give us it is another thing entirely. Here’s hoping!

Sony is the only DAP I own that routinely has received Android security updates, so maybe Android 11 will come, especially since it's already developed for the hardware. Fingers crossed.

Mar 26, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #8,076 of 8,642
Coming back to your past post as I am looking for THE sd card for my incoming 1AM2. Now using Sandisk Ultras in all my Walkmans. I am thinking of Extreme or even the Extreme PRO. Is it really that step up to choose the PRO f.e.? Did you have a chance to compare that? Thanks!
Sorry I didn't have chance to compare to the extreme. But I would give my recommendation for the Sandisk Extreme Pro as per what I am using now.

Mar 26, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #8,077 of 8,642
May be wrong here but as a photographer I’ve always used the Pro series, something to do with higher quality meaning longer reliability rather than being any faster. For a critical photo shoot I can’t afford any lost images, for music where I have it backed up to SSD it’s less of an issue and I go with whatever is more cost effective. I think my DAP is using a Sandisk ultra

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #8,079 of 8,642
Sony is the only DAP I own that routinely has received Android security updates, so maybe Android 11 will come, especially since it's already developed for the hardware. Fingers crossed.
Yep, it would be great if Sony released Android 11. Heck if they released the battery care feature from the 1Z/1A M2 that would be appreciated.

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #8,080 of 8,642
Just for info, you can get bit perfect playback for Neutron Player with Sony android Walkman. This is the two settings you need to apply:

Settings > Profile > Bit Perfect (toggle this)

Settings > Audio Hardware > Generic Driver > Custom Format (toggle this) > mode > offload (toggle this)

If you have done the above correctly. While playing back a 44.1khz music file. Go to settings > audio hardware

Frequency will show 44100

If it’s not done correctly, it will show up as 192000.

Mar 28, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #8,081 of 8,642
Just for info, you can get bit perfect playback for Neutron Player with Sony android Walkman like the WM1ZM2 and WM1AM2. This is the three settings you need to apply:

Settings > Profile > Bit Perfect (toggle this on)

Settings > Audio Hardware > Generic Driver > Custom Format (toggle this on ) > mode > format > 32-bit Int (toggle this on)

Settings > Audio Hardware > Generic Driver > Custom Format (toggle this on ) > mode > offload (toggle this on)

If you have done the above correctly. While playing back a 44.1khz music file. Go to settings > audio hardware

Frequency will show as 44100

If it’s not done correctly, it will show up as 192000.

from what I am hearing on my zx507, the Neutron Player sounds more transparent(as in less processed sounding) than the Sony Walkman Music app. It has a softer, more calmer sound as compared to the sharper, crispier sounding USB Audio Player Pro.

Is it worthwhile buying neutron? It’s really up to you if you want to experiment with a different sounding player.

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #8,083 of 8,642
I have question about synergy ZX507 with IER-Zr1, no there is too little power and sound? I have DTR1 and very liked this.

Apr 7, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #8,084 of 8,642
Whats the point of making them so sensitive? I think 535 has 36 ohm, why not the same ohm on 846?
Just to elaborate, sensitivity is a measurement of dB/mW, i.e. the volume you would get per 1mW power input. SE846 has a sensitivity of 114dB/mW, while SE535 has 118dB/mW, so SE846 is less sensitivity than SE535 despite lower impedance. These figures implies the current needed to drive the IEMs. SE846 needs greater current from a source than SE535 to achieve the same volume.

But anyway, portable sources are adaptive to headphone impedance, as long as the output power matches the sensitivities, unless the headphone specifically mentions it requires a amplifier. While since amps are designed to drive low sensitivity headphones, they may be picky on the minimum impedance it can support.

Apr 9, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #8,085 of 8,642
Hello

I have brought the new Sony NW-WM1AM2 :)

I have the UK zx507 black with original case. I am going to sell and wondered the best place for this. I still have the box and it’s in perfect condition.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back