SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #4,306 of 8,639
I’m seriously considering the zx507 as a true upgrade to a Shanling m0. I only use IEMs. I primarily listen to music via my flac collection on a large capacity sd card, so streaming is just a bonus. The reason I’d go with the 507 over the 105 is the better battery and the reason I’d go with the 507 over the zx300 is the audio quality is supposedly far superior on the 507 (plus usb-c).

Can anyone confirm it’d be totally fine to buy the zx505, since it can be bought new cheaper? It’s just a matter of changing language from Chinese to English, correct? No other differences?

Also, Sony’s firmware support is typically really solid and lasts for years, right? Should only expect improvements, additional features, etc?

Lastly, has anyone used an Etymotic IEM with the 507? How’s that pairing? I have and really enjoy the er2xr. Thank you!

The A105 actually has slightly better battery life than ZX507!

Pick ZX507 if you need balanced and the extra power. The ZX507 is noticeably better than A105 if using balanced but similar if using SE.

Its Android 9 so should be supported for a while. ZX505 if you want to mess with firmware and likely no warranty support (unless in China).

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #4,307 of 8,639
Between WM1A and ZX507:

ZX507:
Lighter, more pocketable
Firmware cannot be downgraded and there is no custom firmware. You have to rely on Sony Sound signature tuning.
Battery life is only good for 12 to 14hours with use of DSP and up to 18hours with mp3/AAC files.
Can be charge really fast in 1.5hours
You can enjoy DSEE HX AI function on your YouTube and other Streaming Apps.
Balanced power output is limited to 200mw
No tone control
Has search function in music app
User interface is much faster due to powerful 1.8Ghz quad core arm processor
Has improved FTCAP2, likely to provide better bass response.

WM1A:
Ability to use custom firmware and upgrade or downgrade firmware as you like. There’s hundreds of firmware to tryout with different sound tuning.
Battery life is anywhere from 20hrs plus to 30hours.
Standby time is significantly better.
Unit is much heavier.
Slower charging
Can act as USB DAC for your pc. Also Bluetooth dac for your smartphone.
More power output 250mw for balanced
Tone control: bass mid high

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #4,308 of 8,639
Thanks for replying so quick! I just want to confirm that I will not part with my MDR-Z1Rs. These will be following me for years to come. And when it comes to spending money that is not an issue as long as there’s good return for the investment. That’s why I was so confused with the Hugo 2 not giving me either good sound nor “feeling”. 😊
If Sony has enough power its more lush, musical and simply enjoyable than many others IMO.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #4,309 of 8,639
The A105 actually has slightly better battery life than ZX507!

Pick ZX507 if you need balanced and the extra power. The ZX507 is noticeably better than A105 if using balanced but similar if using SE.

Its Android 9 so should be supported for a while. ZX505 if you want to mess with firmware and likely no warranty support (unless in China).

Only difference between A105 and zx507 is the extra power? I don’t use balanced and only use IEMs so likely don’t need the power...

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #4,310 of 8,639
Between WM1A and ZX507:

ZX507:
Lighter, more pocketable
Firmware cannot be downgraded and there is no custom firmware. You have to rely on Sony Sound signature tuning.
Battery life is only good for 12 to 14hours with use of DSP and up to 18hours with mp3/AAC files.
Can be charge really fast in 1.5hours
You can enjoy DSEE HX AI function on your YouTube and other Streaming Apps.
Balanced power output is limited to 200mw
No tone control
Has search function in music app
User interface is much faster due to powerful 1.8Ghz quad core arm processor
Has improved FTCAP2, likely to provide better bass response.

WM1A:
Ability to use custom firmware and upgrade or downgrade firmware as you like. There’s hundreds of firmware to tryout with different sound tuning.
Battery life is anywhere from 20hrs plus to 30hours.
Standby time is significantly better.
Unit is much heavier.
Slower charging
Can act as USB DAC for your pc. Also Bluetooth dac for your smartphone.
More power output 250mw for balanced
Tone control: bass mid high
The search is just great on ZX507/A105.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #4,311 of 8,639
Only difference between A105 and zx507 is the extra power? I don’t use balanced and only use IEMs so likely don’t need the power...
Then A105 will be great for you if not too small. The larger size of the ZX507 is really nice in the hand. What ever you do do not buy the capped EU/UK one. I had a red Japanese import A105 before my Japanese ZX507.

I also made mistake of getting a UK ZX507 before returning with 24hrs!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #4,313 of 8,639
Are you saying that these are more or less “useless” (EU/UK versions) even when paired with MDR-Z1R if you use them on lower volumes levels?

I'd say yes. Don't know what power Z1R needs.

I only have easy to drive SE846 & K10U and had to have volume at 100/120 and not high gain option on EU one either.

The Japanes umport A105 was louder than a UK/EU ZX507, 85/120 vs 100/120.

With Japanese ZX507 on balanced its more like 70/120 and thats without high gain, 55/120 on high gain.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #4,314 of 8,639
I would still think that the magical Sony house sound signature is best experienced with the 4.4mm balanced.

If you want to experience music with sound that is true to life with each band member having its own distinct position in the wide soundstage, you have to go balanced.

In my opinion, I would skip the A105 and just get the ZX505 if Budget is limited.

4.4mm balanced sound quality is worth the money if you are a true audiophile.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #4,315 of 8,639
Reviews fo
Then A105 will be great for you if not too small. The larger size of the ZX507 is really nice in the hand. What ever you do do not buy the capped EU/UK one. I had a red Japanese import A105 before my Japanese ZX507.

I also made mistake of getting a UK ZX507 before returning with 24hrs!

Reviews for the A105 all talk about the terrible battery life.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #4,316 of 8,639
I would still think that the magical Sony house sound signature is best experienced with the 4.4mm balanced.

If you want to experience music with sound that is true to life with each band member having its own distinct position in the wide soundstage, you have to go balanced.

In my opinion, I would skip the A105 and just get the ZX505 if Budget is limited.

4.4mm balanced sound quality is worth the money if you are a true audiophile.

For what reason would I get a 507 over 505? I’m going to be using an sd card so aside from the included 16 vs. 64gb storage, any other difference?

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #4,317 of 8,639
For what reason would I get a 507 over 505? I’m going to be using an sd card so aside from the included 16 vs. 64gb storage, any other difference?

ZX507 comes with Google playstore straight out of box.

ZX505 will require firmware flashing to international firmware in order to have Google playstore. It’s not too difficult to do this if you are tech savvy enough to download a file and place it on the root directory of your Walkman.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #4,318 of 8,639
Reviews fo

Reviews for the A105 all talk about the terrible battery life.

Its poor for live streamed music but then so is the ZX507.
General figures:
Walkman app 14-18hrs dependant on file type
Offline Tidal around 9hr
Streaming Tidal about 5hr

I don't live stream. WiFi only used when syncing music for me and I only use the Walkman as a music player, not a general Android device.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #4,319 of 8,639
If Sony has enough power its more lush, musical and simply enjoyable than many others IMO.

To my ears:

Sony S-Master HX is able to deliver the same level of timbre and tonality as a good R2R and also able to sound as fast as Delta-Sigma DACs in transient delivery but without the subtle pink noise distortion that plague some DS designs.

Some DACs like chord and most Sabre have transient delivery that is way too sharp. While others (AKM, Wolfsen, Burrbrown) can sound too laid back/soft. Sony manages to strike
a balance on transient delivery and smoothness. And you can adjust it by choosing between direct source and DSEE HX.

It also sits perfectly at the threshold between treble glare and not enough treble detail. Vocals on the S-Master HX is perfectly imaged and has its own unique position in the soundstage(especially on balanced).

I would use one word to describe the Sony S-Master HX and its a Chameleon. Throw whatever genre or subgenre of music at it, it just synchronise with the music perfectly, you don’t feel as if the Walkman is over-doing or under-delivering the sound. This is something very rare to find.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #4,320 of 8,639

None other than risk if importing a Chinese market DAP and likely issues with warrantly. Think you also have to keep manually updating firmware or auto one will revert back to Chinese version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back