SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 28, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #3,946 of 8,639
Walkman app does indeed sound better than Neutron app in terms of resolution but this time the gap has been far reduced. Soundstage seems to be about the same for both apps.

I feel this firmware's Direct Source Mode is especially resolving, there's gobs of details in the sound, with a sound field that extends super wide.

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #3,947 of 8,639
short review of the official Sony leather case.

the fit is perfect for the Walkman, as expected, since it's the only model it would fit. the front and back are hard-backed, with two small magnets the the corners of the front cover. there Walkman does not wake on Open... I suppose they can make it so via the light sensors but will probably waste battery.

IMG20200628142150.jpg

if you look from the top or bottom, it is not balanced, with the cover having a slight overhang.

IMG20200628143831.jpg
IMG20200628143900.jpg

as others have mentioned, the buttons are not covered. on the opposing side, you have to leave the case open to charge... with the case on, it's about as thick as an iFi iDSD Micro, and 80% the length

IMG20200628144057.jpg

pictured with the IER-M9

IMG20200628144709.jpg
IMG20200628144458.jpg

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #3,949 of 8,639
There's a media monkey app from the play store that allows you to edit music id tags directly.

Do you guys have any Android app that you use to do music sorting and relabeling?

Jun 28, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #3,950 of 8,639
@Sonywalkmanuser : thank you for your continuing effort of updating your android tweak guide!

I think I found a few new settings you could consider adding into your guide:

Settings -> System -> Languages and Input -> Virtual Keyboard -> Gboard -> Advanced
-disable "usage statistics" and "Improve voice and typing for everyone"

Settings -> in the search type "assistant" -> Assistant Settings -> Assistant tab -> scroll down, under assistant devices select "phone" -> disable "google assistant"

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #3,953 of 8,639
i think you have to name the jpeg exactly the same as the Album. it does not do cover.jpg as most other DAPs. or, you could embed into song.

Yes, I am aware of the naming requirements. I am referring to the type of jpeg file. The ZX300 and WM1 series do not support progressive jpeg files, which are the most common. In order for the artwork to display, you must use standard baseline jpegs. I am wondering if the new ZX507 only supports baseline jpegs as well.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #3,954 of 8,639
Yes, I am aware of the naming requirements. I am referring to the type of jpeg file. The ZX300 and WM1 series do not support progressive jpeg files, which are the most common. In order for the artwork to display, you must use standard baseline jpegs. I am wondering if the new ZX507 only supports baseline jpegs as well.

From Sony: https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzx500/v1/en/contents/TP0002432943.html?search=cover art
  • Refer to [Supported formats] for details on compatible file formats.
  • You can add cover art images for albums manually so that the image will appear on “Music player”. First, rename the image file with the same name as the folder for the album. (Do not change the extension for the image file at this time.) Then, add the image file to the folder for the album.
    “Music player” displays the following files for cover art images.
    • Baseline JPEG
    • Progressive JPEG
    • Non-interlaced PNG
    • Interlaced PNG
What I manage to do was to fix up my music library and tags first and all the redundant problems such as this one I had went away. I came from iTunes (many years ago) so my library was a total disaster. iTunes is much better at covering the problems than actually solving them! :)

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #3,955 of 8,639
From Sony: https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzx500/v1/en/contents/TP0002432943.html?search=cover art
  • Refer to [Supported formats] for details on compatible file formats.
  • You can add cover art images for albums manually so that the image will appear on “Music player”. First, rename the image file with the same name as the folder for the album. (Do not change the extension for the image file at this time.) Then, add the image file to the folder for the album.
    “Music player” displays the following files for cover art images.
    • Baseline JPEG
    • Progressive JPEG
    • Non-interlaced PNG
    • Interlaced PNG
What I manage to do was to fix up my music library and tags first and all the redundant problems such as this one I had went away. I came from iTunes (many years ago) so my library was a total disaster. iTunes is much better at covering the problems than actually solving them! :)

Thanks so much! I guess I should have read the guide before asking the question. My apologies! This is good news!

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3,956 of 8,639
I do believe it supports progressive too.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #3,957 of 8,639
Have you all compared the sound from tidal/Qobuz/amazon HD vs Walkman app?

I felt that android layer upsampling using neutron/USB Audio app is almost as good as Walkman app on this update.

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #3,958 of 8,639
Objectively speaking the FR measured using an Etymotic with the ZX507 before and after the last firmware did not show any differences at all, nor was anything different in harmonic distortion, phase, or impulse response. I used an IEC-60318-4 coupler and measured ER3XR with ZX507 before and after installing the update. I also don't hear any differences myself. I dont use any of the dsp filter stuff besides EQ typically.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #3,960 of 8,639
Objectively speaking the FR measured using an Etymotic with the ZX507 before and after the last firmware did not show any differences at all, nor was anything different in harmonic distortion, phase, or impulse response. I used an IEC-60318-4 coupler and measured ER3XR with ZX507 before and after installing the update. I also don't hear any differences myself. I dont use any of the dsp filter stuff besides EQ typically.
Using your coupler, are the measurements with the “Direct” switch ON or OFF different (not using any DSP, like EQ, with Direct:OFF of course)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back