SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 28, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #3,961 of 8,639
Hi all,
I just made a separate post about my ZX507 that's having issues and I noticed this thread was pretty active so I figured Id give it a shot here since maybe someone that owns one has had the issue here (here's my post copy and pasted):

I went to use my ZX507 today and everything powered on as normal... screen, software, apps all fine...
Everything seemed just as it always is with the player.
I was hooking it up to a system I have in the garage (via 3.5mm) and couldnt get any sound output, even though the audio showed as 'playing.'
I figured it was the system, not the ZX507, so I grabbed some headphones and... nothing.
I've tried just about everything to figure this out...
1. Tested both 3.5mm and 4.4mm... neither are outputting.
2. Regular reset/shutdown... no output
3. Installed new update ver 2.xx (forget the exact version)... no output
4. Reset to factory settings... no output

Bluetooth audio works fine.
I've probably only got about 200 hours on it, it's been babied and I know Ive done nothing wrong to cause a problem (no mods, never driven 'hard' or with adapters that could cause issues, etc.)
Any ideas/advice?
Could a capacitor(s) have gone bad this early?
I'd really like to get this thing up and running again since it's my main DAP and it'd be a total letdown if an $800 unit crapped out under a year.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #3,962 of 8,639
Hi all,
I just made a separate post about my ZX507 that's having issues and I noticed this thread was pretty active so I figured Id give it a shot here since maybe someone that owns one has had the issue here (here's my post copy and pasted):

I went to use my ZX507 today and everything powered on as normal... screen, software, apps all fine...
Everything seemed just as it always is with the player.
I was hooking it up to a system I have in the garage (via 3.5mm) and couldnt get any sound output, even though the audio showed as 'playing.'
I figured it was the system, not the ZX507, so I grabbed some headphones and... nothing.
I've tried just about everything to figure this out...
1. Tested both 3.5mm and 4.4mm... neither are outputting.
2. Regular reset/shutdown... no output
3. Installed new update ver 2.xx (forget the exact version)... no output
4. Reset to factory settings... no output

Bluetooth audio works fine.
I've probably only got about 200 hours on it, it's been babied and I know Ive done nothing wrong to cause a problem (no mods, never driven 'hard' or with adapters that could cause issues, etc.)
Any ideas/advice?
Could a capacitor(s) have gone bad this early?
I'd really like to get this thing up and running again since it's my main DAP and it'd be a total letdown if an $800 unit crapped out under a year.

Hum, I would contact your seller to initiate a checkup while still under warranty. Considering what you have done already, it doesn't lead to a messep up config or bad settings.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #3,963 of 8,639
The volume cap on the EU version of NW-A105 seems to be removed with the latest firmware according to some users on that thread. Anyone knows if the volume cap is also removed from the EU version of the NW-ZX507 with the latest firmware ?

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #3,964 of 8,639
Using your coupler, are the measurements with the “Direct” switch ON or OFF different (not using any DSP, like EQ, with Direct:OFF of course)?

Yes everything off. The music effects do change things of course, but I didnt compare before and after firmware.

Jun 29, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #3,966 of 8,639
Thanks Bland125,
Looks like after chatting with Sony, service will be necessary.
Ugh!
Do a factory reset, if you have not already done so. That is the deepest reset, so might as well try it. Only takes a few moments.
Edit: OK, I see you have already done the factory reset before.

***********************************************************************************************************************
1.Swipe the Home screen upwards
2.Tap the menu items in the following order. [Settings] - [System] - [Advanced] - [Reset options].
3.Tap [Erase all data (factory reset)].
4. Swipe the screen upwards. Tap [Reset device] at the bottom of the screen. Enter the PIN, password, or pattern if necessary.
5.Tap [Erase everything]. When formatting is complete, the player will restart automatically.

Save a backup copy in advance. Be careful not to delete important data.
Hint When formatting is complete, the player will restore its preinstalled content.
When you back up a music file from “Music player”, you can check the location of the file. Confirm [File location] under [Detailed song information]. To display the information, tap the menu items in the following order. From the Playback screen in “Music player”: (Options) - [Detailed song information]. From the Library screen, Play queue screen, or Favorites/Bookmarks screen in “Music player”: (Context menu) - [Detailed song information].

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #3,967 of 8,639
The volume cap on the EU version of NW-A105 seems to be removed with the latest firmware according to some users on that thread. Anyone knows if the volume cap is also removed from the EU version of the NW-ZX507 with the latest firmware ?
According to Sony Germany the firmware update is for NW-ZX500 Series and NW-A100 Series. No word on the cap. But if they changed it for the A100 series it would be very likely that they did it for ZX500, too. But, we all know, things that are too good to be true in general aren't true.. I cannot believe that Sony changed their approach in this regard... But if they did I would give the nw-zx507 another chance...

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #3,969 of 8,639
Does anyone have issues with the buttons being slow while the screen is off? How about the screen being unresponsive for a few seconds when you wake it up?

yeah i have this issue. starting happening after the first or second update. doesn’t really bother me though

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #3,972 of 8,639

Wondering the same!

Can somebody with EU version of NW-ZX507 please advise on this when you have a moment?

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #3,973 of 8,639
I had the EU model a few weeks ago, and I didn't notice if the beeping when increasing the volume stopped or not. But in any case, the volume was still limited by not being able to select high gain. That option was still not there with the latest firmware. So regardless is the volume cap was removed or not, the volume would still only go as high as 120 without high gain.

I returned the unit to Amazon.it last week and got the unit from Amazon.co.jp which has high gain and much more power and volume.

The volume in the EU unit was only just acceptable for me when running different high-end headphones wired. I did however think that the EU unit was loud enough when using a pair of bluetooth headsets - like Sony's own WH-1000XM3 with sound coming from LDAC.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #3,974 of 8,639
I had the EU model a few weeks ago, and I didn't notice if the beeping when increasing the volume stopped or not. But in any case, the volume was still limited by not being able to select high gain. That option was still not there with the latest firmware. So regardless is the volume cap was removed or not, the volume would still only go as high as 120 without high gain.

I returned the unit to Amazon.it last week and got the unit from Amazon.co.jp which has high gain and much more power and volume.

The volume in the EU unit was only just acceptable for me when running different high-end headphones wired. I did however think that the EU unit was loud enough when using a pair of bluetooth headsets - like Sony's own WH-1000XM3 with sound coming from LDAC.

The volume capping only affects wired outputs.

The cap is nothing to do with the volume warning beeps/message. Even Japanese version has option to enable that nagging if you want it.

Even without H-gain the EU is significany lower output at 120/120 for L-gain compared to Japanese version.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #3,975 of 8,639
The volume capping only affects wired outputs.

The cap is nothing to do with the volume warning beeps/message. Even Japanese version has option to enable that nagging if you want it.

Even without H-gain the EU is significany lower output at 120/120 for L-gain compared to Japanese version.

Yes I know - my post was an answer to the post before mine whether someone that had the EU model could confirm if the volume cap was removed in the latest software. And to my knowledge it is not. That was what I was trying to say with my post :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back