SONY NW-ZX500
Jul 1, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #3,976 of 8,639
@larzy @psikey thanks for your help!

Sorry just to clarify further: did either of you actually try EU device on latest firmware version? I might be misunderstanding but from reading both this and NW-105A thread you might've returned them before the latest firmware was out?

Also by any chance, did either of you try to install JP firmware on your EU device versions?

Really sorry to bug you, just trying to make an informed decision on what to purchase. EU versions of both Sony DAPs are available at much lower cost than JP ones.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #3,977 of 8,639
I had the EU model a few weeks ago, and I didn't notice if the beeping when increasing the volume stopped or not. But in any case, the volume was still limited by not being able to select high gain. That option was still not there with the latest firmware. So regardless is the volume cap was removed or not, the volume would still only go as high as 120 without high gain.

I returned the unit to Amazon.it last week and got the unit from Amazon.co.jp which has high gain and much more power and volume.

The volume in the EU unit was only just acceptable for me when running different high-end headphones wired. I did however think that the EU unit was loud enough when using a pair of bluetooth headsets - like Sony's own WH-1000XM3 with sound coming from LDAC.

I assume you did upgrade to the latest firmware ?

Since the last firmware users of EU A105 started reporting the device gets louder.

According to the Sony official site A105 shares the same firmware with ZX507.

So i was hoping EU ZX507 also had the volume cap removed.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #3,978 of 8,639

Sorry just to clarify further: did either of you actually try EU device on latest firmware version? I might be misunderstanding but from reading both this and NW-105A thread you might've returned them before the latest firmware was out?

Also by any chance, did either of you try to install JP firmware on your EU device versions?

Really sorry to bug you, just trying to make an informed decision on what to purchase. EU versions of both Sony DAPs are available at much lower cost than JP ones.
Had an EU one but no, not since the latest update.

I installed Asia Pacific on an Amazon one before returning and no volume increase or high gain. Just defaulted to Chinese and some extra apps.

So can't be certain but its a noticeable big increase so doubt people would be unsure of increase unless its only a small one and so still not to level of non EU ones.

Can't be bothered to order/return again just to test, sorry.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #3,979 of 8,639
one thing I'd agree with latest update is audio with streamed apps has lost the "veil" and close to walkman app now.

I've just revisited my Walkman vs Tidal App comparrison with identical tracks (some James Taylor MQA's) with High Res audio set, and nearly or is identical now to my ears if volume matched. Need to have Tidal about 8 steps louder compared to Walkman app.

Still think Walkman App still more dynamic but not a big difference. Still nearly half battery life with offline Tidal compared playing songs in Walkman app.

My Noble K10U and Shure SE846's have never sounded so good with my own or Tidal tracks.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #3,980 of 8,639

I sent my EU unit back on June 22 - so the last firmware I was running was 2.00.05 - but in the A105 thread it was reported that the change was after that software. And the volume was not higher or no option for high-gain was added to my EU unit. And doubt it would have changed with 2.01.00.

I was in the same situation as you - found an Amazon warehouse deal for under 380 euros, but in the end I wanted the option for high gain to drive bigger headphones, so I returned it and bought a used japanese version for about 150 euro more.

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #3,981 of 8,639
I sent my EU unit back on June 22 - so the last firmware I was running was 2.00.05 - but in the A105 thread it was reported that the change was after that software. And the volume was not higher or no option for high-gain was added to my EU unit. And doubt it would have changed with 2.01.00.

I was in the same situation as you - found an Amazon warehouse deal for under 380 euros, but in the end I wanted the option for high gain to drive bigger headphones, so I returned it and bought a used japanese version for about 150 euro more.

In what condition was the Amazon warehouse deal ? Was it “like new” or “in optimal condition” ? And was it really in the stated condition ?

I have been eyeing the Amazon.it warehouse deals for the ZX507 and A105 (prefering the ZX507) but kind of doubting because of the volume cap. I will mainly use it with IEMs.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #3,983 of 8,639
With this new firmware, due to its better overall clarity, I can dial down the volume by 10 and still find the music enjoyable with regards to bass, Mid range details and dynamics on walkman app.

My typical volume setting on IER-M9 balance is 60 on high gain but now I am able to dial down to 50.

Also like I mention previously, now I can also push volume to a higher threshold of 75 without feeling my ears pierced.(previous firmware anything beyond 68 is already too much)

Do note my listening environment is only 36dba - 38dba.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #3,984 of 8,639
In what condition was the Amazon warehouse deal ? Was it “like new” or “in optimal condition” ? And was it really in the stated condition ?

I have been eyeing the Amazon.it warehouse deals for the ZX507 and A105 (prefering the ZX507) but kind of doubting because of the volume cap. I will mainly use it with IEMs.
I bought my ZX2 and the ZX507 (which I returned due to volume cap) from Amazon, both not new both exactly in the shape that Amazon considered it to be. These deals are very fair. In most cases it is just a returned device with opened packaging. I always buy this way when I need/want a new computer, smartphone, headphone... Go for it..

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #3,985 of 8,639
I bought my ZX2 and the ZX507 (which I returned due to volume cap) from Amazon, both not new both exactly in the shape that Amazon considered it to be. These deals are very fair. In most cases it is just a returned device with opened packaging. I always buy this way when I need/want a new computer, smartphone, headphone... Go for it..

I am still doubting because of the EU volume cap :sweat_smile: A105 is also an option. I will mainly use it with IEM’s.

I have looked for a used/new JP ZX507 on Amazon JP but it is double the price of the EU version at the moment (390-410 euro for EU versus about 750-800 euro for JP version) so that it economically not an wise option and out of my budget.

Perhaps the most wise decision is to look for another DAP that doesn’t involve importing to have the full potential of the DAP but Walkman always have that magic aura around them for me. Maybe because i used to own Walkmans, Discmans and Minidisc players in my youth.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #3,986 of 8,639
I am still doubting because of the EU volume cap :sweat_smile: A105 is also an option. I will mainly use it with IEM’s.

I have looked for a used/new JP ZX507 on Amazon JP but it is double the price of the EU version at the moment (390-410 euro for EU versus about 750-800 euro for JP version) so that it economically not an wise option and out of my budget.

Perhaps the most wise decision is to look for another DAP that doesn’t involve importing to have the full potential of the DAP but Walkman always have that magic aura around them for me. Maybe because i used to own Walkmans, Discmans and Minidisc players in my youth.
I tested the ZX507 EU version for a week. Got it as warehouse deal from Amazon UK. The package was in a bad condition but the player itself was like new. But due to volume limitation I had no fun with that gear. Also it sounded not so good as my old A45 (ok, the 507 wasn't burned-in yet), but mainly due to volume cap I decided to return. I got a used NW-WMA for 729 EUR on eBay - good bargain! This player is perfect to me. I am very satisfied. Further, in the week testing the 507 I also found out, that streaming is not satisfying for me....

Jul 3, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #3,987 of 8,639
I am gravitating towards interest in the 16GB ZX-505, as functionally speaking, 64GB vs. 16GB internal stroage isn't important to me. My Google skills are lacking, apparently, because I can't find a U.S. vendor selling the 505. I know there's that "JoyBuy" site (Chinese, I think?), but it seems a bit sketchy to me. If anyone has a U.S. domestic source for the ZX-505, please advise, thanks.

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #3,988 of 8,639
I am gravitating towards interest in the 16GB ZX-505, as functionally speaking, 64GB vs. 16GB internal stroage isn't important to me. My Google skills are lacking, apparently, because I can't find a U.S. vendor selling the 505. I know there's that "JoyBuy" site (Chinese, I think?), but it seems a bit sketchy to me. If anyone has a U.S. domestic source for the ZX-505, please advise, thanks.
I read somewhere the 505 has not the Google Play Store. But there should be a work around to install it.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #3,989 of 8,639
ZX505 is a model for China. Therefore normally it is only sold in China and also why it does not have Google Playstore by default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back