SONY NW-ZX500
May 23, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #3,241 of 8,642
Thank you all very much for answering me.

Feeling very sorry my ZX507 returns to the store. I am a few years old (61) and my ear needs a little more push than a young ear. I feel sorry for Sony because they lose a customer. I do not understand how Sony does not give the option of high power & low power and that it is the end user who decides based on their need.

I will continue to use my LG V30 to listen to music.

Cheers
You can get uncapped/high gain version. Though just not bought through euro. I had mine imported from Japan through a simple eBay purchase

May 23, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #3,242 of 8,642
You can get uncapped/high gain version. Though just not bought through euro. I had mine imported from Japan through a simple eBay purchase
It is an option that I can look at. The main reason for acquiring the Sony ZX507 is its quality and above all the price offer it had at my local HIFI store (€ 500). If you can pass me a link where you bought your JP model, I appreciate it.

Cheers

May 23, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #3,245 of 8,642
What I do remember with the ZX2 is it had a lot of background noise/hiss with my SE846's while I hear non with a ZX507 or A105.

yeah the ZX2 is a noise machine for sure

May 24, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #3,247 of 8,642
it is difficult to get that price .... for sure.

Just one question, the 4.4mm balanced output of the sony ZX507 gives the same output power as the normal 3.5mm? (in EU version).

For EU model the volume is capped at the same 2.2mW/16 ohm point for both 3.5mm and 4.4mm, compared to 50mW and 200mW for ZX507 from any other continent.

May 24, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,249 of 8,642
The ZX300 through SE was noted for being noticeably sub par compared to balanced, do folk find the same applies to the ZX507 - balanced is much superior to SE?

ZX507 SE is not sub par as it has been much improved over the ZX300 (capacitors doubled in output for bigger sound stage, better bass, etc), balanced is obviously still better as it's the only output that uses the Gen 2 FT-Caps and 4x the power of SE, but now they are on equal ground in terms of overall attention paid to their circuit and both sound great.

May 24, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #3,250 of 8,642
Using IER-M9 on the ZX507, comparing SE to BAL:

Although SE can get loud, it lacks the dynamic power delivery that you get from the balance output. It's less rumbly and less punchy when it comes to bass. It lacks lively airiness treble that is so plentiful in balanced.

Single ended on zx507 sounds competent enough but it does not allow DSEE HX to show it's full potential.
The magical 3d like layering is best experienced on the balanced output.
What I find is there is a much less noticable change in soundstage when you switch between direct source ON and DSEE HX ON. Whereas in balance, the differences seems day and night.

May 24, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #3,251 of 8,642
So, anybody seen anything real yet regarding any update to resolve the 16/48 conversion ? Or just wishful thinking.

Any reliable channel to get an actual response from Sony?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #3,252 of 8,642
I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but i have some doubts coming from the ZX300, which i love in many aspects.

Streaming was one of the principal reasons to go this way and I was afraid about the 16/48 limitation with nonSony apps but it seems that an imminent (well, it's Sony) firmware will solve it: https://www.porta-fi.com/sony-nw-zx507-walkman-review/2/ (i don't know if this answers @psikey question or if it was already said here)
I don't like losing the usb dac and bluetooth receiver functions, i use them a lot. Do you know guys if there's any intention of recovering them (sorry if it's been answered before, i didn't find it with the search function). Do you miss them in your normal use?

And last, for all the kind people that shared their experiences buying from Asia, do you know if there's international warranty or if i had problems won't find assistance here in Spain? And did you find problems with customs coming from Amazon?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #3,253 of 8,642
I'm really close to pulling the trigger, but i have some doubts coming from the ZX300, which i love in many aspects.

Streaming was one of the principal reasons to go this way and I was afraid about the 16/48 limitation with nonSony apps but it seems that an imminent (well, it's Sony) firmware will solve it: https://www.porta-fi.com/sony-nw-zx507-walkman-review/2/ (i don't know if this answers @psikey question or if it was already said here)
I don't like losing the usb dac and bluetooth receiver functions, i use them a lot. Do you know guys if there's any intention of recovering them (sorry if it's been answered before, i didn't find it with the search function). Do you miss them in your normal use?

And last, for all the kine people that shared their experiences buying from Asia, do you know if there's international warranty or if i had problems won't find assistance here in Spain? And did you find problems with customs coming from Amazon?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Fars as I know, no international warranty so that is a key risk of importing, you would have to send back to Amazon Japan reseller (if using Amazon.co.jp) and all the hassle that will likely entail.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #3,255 of 8,642
Im not sure if that update is even coming, might be fake rumors..

Is this a reliable source for the beta firmware? Not seen it mentioned anywhere else. Would import one today if this was definitely happing in near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back