SONY NW-ZX500
May 21, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #3,212 of 8,642
Is there a way to implement global parametric EQ and crossfeed on this device?
I wish there was a more surgical EQ. The Q factor is very wide. Boosting bass makes it sound tubby and thick imo. Doesn't sound great imo. Existing EQ is a bit of a blunt instrument. It's ok if you want to add a touch here and there. Pre-gain would be a welcome addition also.

Speaking of which any good system wide EQ's that can be downloaded from the Google Play Store?

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #3,213 of 8,642
This problem is definitely related to android power saving and data saving optimization. I believe this will resolve the problem.

Turn off battery saver mode

Give spotify app the following permissions:
Background data: On
Unrestricted data: On
Battery Optimization: Don't Optimize
Background Restriction: App can use battery in background

Thank you for the tips. Somehow I couldn't find Background Data and Background Restriction settings anywhere.

May 21, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #3,215 of 8,642
Hi, does anyone know what Qobuz and TIDAL actually send/stream to the ZX507? For example, in Qobuz, when I stream a song that is 192KHz/24bit, is that actually received as 192/24 then downsampled to 48KHz by Android?

Since we can’t get anything better than 48KHz out of the Android mixer for third-party apps currently (until/if this mystery beta firmware—that is reported by only one blog—is released) is there any benefit to having the streaming quality set to anything higher than CD quality/Hi-Fi in Qobuz and TIDAL?

So probably no reason at all to select “Master” streaming quality in the TIDAL settings on the ZX507 either, right?

Might as well save data usage, even at home on broadband, if no benefit.

Cheers,
Gus

May 21, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #3,216 of 8,642
Hi, does anyone know what Qobuz and TIDAL actually send/stream to the ZX507? For example, in Qobuz, when I stream a song that is 192KHz/24bit, is that actually received as 192/24 then downsampled to 48KHz by Android?
Correct

Since we can’t get anything better than 48KHz out of the Android mixer for third-party apps currently (until/if this mystery beta firmware—that is reported by only one blog—is released) is there any benefit to having the streaming quality set to anything higher than CD quality/Hi-Fi in Qobuz and TIDAL?
Not really.

So probably no reason at all to select “Master” streaming quality in the TIDAL settings on the ZX507 either, right?
Correct.

I use these services more for music discovery. If I like an album I listen to, I go and buy it... though I only buy CD quality anyway. Then I load it onto the SD card and play in the native app.

May 22, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #3,219 of 8,642
Hi friends, here a zx300 owner with a doubt.

I just called today to a local shop to ask if their zx507 on sale were european and, therefore, capped. Their answer shocked me because they immediately told me that one of their clients had managed to unlock it (or uncap it, or however it must be said, freedom for the zx507's high gain mode!). As i haven't found searching for hours any information about how to do it, i wanted to ask you if i missed something. Sorry if it has been said before (i've read a good portion of this thread, but not the 216 pages), but is there a method to unlock the zx507 from the UE's volume restrictions?

May 22, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #3,220 of 8,642
Hi friends, here a zx300 owner with a doubt.

I just called today to a local shop to ask if their zx507 on sale were european and, therefore, capped. Their answer shocked me because they immediately told me that one of their clients had managed to unlock it (or uncap it, or however it must be said, freedom for the zx507's high gain mode!). As i haven't found searching for hours any information about how to do it, i wanted to ask you if i missed something. Sorry if it has been said before (i've read a good portion of this thread, but not the 216 pages), but is there a method to unlock the zx507 from the UE's volume restrictions?
Salesman was bullshitting you to get a sale. I'm constantly watching the net and even tried Asia Pacific firmware on an Amazon UK ZX507 (before returning) and you can get the firmware installed but still no high gain or change in max volume.

The import A105 I had on its 3.5mm was far louder than a EU shafted ZX507 even on its 4.4mm balanced!

You can get some uncapped ones via Amazon Japan (Fulfilled by Amazon, not Amazon as the seller) that shows price with delivery/Duty/Fees etc.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #3,221 of 8,642
Salesman was bullshitting you to get a sale.
That's what i thought, in fact i repeated him 3 times the question telling him that i was not talking about avls and suggested him to ask the client again. He was completely sure.... It's sad because they sell it for 499 €.

Can anyone here recommend me a reliable online shop with good prices to buy the non capped international version? I've seen some offers on ebay from Japan, maybe someone here already has an experience wit that...
Thanks in advance.

May 22, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #3,222 of 8,642
That's what i thought, in fact i repeated him 3 times the question telling him that i was not talking about avls and suggested him to ask the client again. He was completely sure.... It's sad because they sell it for 499 €.

Can anyone here recommend me a reliable online shop with good prices to buy the non capped international version? I've seen some offers on ebay from Japan, maybe someone here already has an experience wit that...
Thanks in advance.
I bought from eBay Japan. No dramas in setup and high gain. Import cost is a killer though.

May 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #3,223 of 8,642
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back