SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 30, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #781 of 8,639
I had some time with the ZX500, and I thought it sounded slightly different (meaning pretty much the same) from the ZX300 than I remember, but I didn’t hear them back to back so it might be just me. Still it’s the warmest and smoothest DAP (that is actually worth listening to) I know on the market.

What I can say for sure is that is has a much nicer looking screen. USB-C on the side is a bit weird. The back being rubbery is nice if you don’t use a case, but makes it feel less premium. General UI and Android implementation is not bad.

5C41C981-CB1C-4902-B70B-1777CA6B57A3.jpeg

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #784 of 8,639
It's it. Someone asked at amazon.co.uk and Sony answered:

I was the "The One" who asked this question on amazon.co.uk. I have to say, the way Sony were answering other questions on there didn't fill me with confidence in their answer. How do we find out for sure? Hope someone can post a reply here after testing it out. If AVLS is a different thing, is it really possible to disable the EU cap? I am thinking of buying the ZX-507 to use with my Sony ier-z1r iems, which need some oomph to drive them. If this can't do it, I'd rather know without having the hassle of buying, paying, returning and then having to wait ages for the refund.

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #786 of 8,639
I was the "The One" who asked this question on amazon.co.uk. I have to say, the way Sony were answering other questions on there didn't fill me with confidence in their answer. How do we find out for sure? Hope someone can post a reply here after testing it out. If AVLS is a different thing, is it really possible to disable the EU cap? I am thinking of buying the ZX-507 to use with my Sony ier-z1r iems, which need some oomph to drive them. If this can't do it, I'd rather know without having the hassle of buying, paying, returning and then having to wait ages for the refund.
So far I got only once the "high volume" warning (even after device restart). Once this warning validated, you're allowed to go over volume level 85 = no cap anymore.

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #788 of 8,639
So far I got only once the "high volume" warning (even after device restart). Once this warning validated, you're allowed to go over volume level 85 = no cap anymore.

European iPhones implement much the same system. They are capped at 85db with the ear pod headphones which can be over ridden to allow the volume to provide 100db which is fine with ear pods but useless with less sensitive headphones. International iPhones don’t cap at 100db and allow the full 1v RMS. They sound significantly louder/better. As Sony cap their Android phones I’m willing to bet this Walkman is capped too.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #792 of 8,639
Just a thought on the UK capped ZX507, when I bought a WM1A from Amazon UK it was capped. I unlocked it via a simple routine (cannot remember the name). Afterwards I remember it unlocked the high gain setting and removed the warning about hearing damage. Having bought a Japanese version of the ZX507, I have found it also has the high gain for both SE & Balanced. Do the UK ones we are talking about have a high gain option?

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #793 of 8,639
Just a thought on the UK capped ZX507, when I bought a WM1A from Amazon UK it was capped. I unlocked it via a simple routine (cannot remember the name). Afterwards I remember it unlocked the high gain setting and removed the warning about hearing damage. Having bought a Japanese version of the ZX507, I have found it also has the high gain for both SE & Balanced. Do the UK ones we are talking about have a high gain option?
My EU model does not have this "high gain" settings available, nor displays the current sound output (Stereo mini or Balanced standard).

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #794 of 8,639
My EU model does not have this "high gain" settings available, nor displays the current sound output (Stereo mini or Balanced standard).
That's because it has the volume cap on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back