SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 18, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #1,306 of 8,639
It's here!!! IMG20191218173055.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #1,307 of 8,639
This DAP is quiet no noise at all even when wifi is on, and the sound is good, time to breaking it in.
20191218_193313.jpg

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,309 of 8,639
Do remember to restart your device at least once a week for best performance, as like all Android based devices.

? I go months without restarting my S10+. The OS has moved on a lot from the early days, especially if your not frequently loading up new Apps etc.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #1,311 of 8,639
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #1,312 of 8,639
Hi, not seen too much in way of a direct comparison to the ZX2 yet. Basically wondering if the ZX500 is a true upgrade or not (similar sound signature with improved technicalities). ZX2 has a few notice left flaws that I’m wondering whether the newer model might fix, plus proving that improved sound too. Or I’m also thinking if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. Ha

I’ve also got a Hugo2 which is a much more capable converter in my honest opinion but I prefer the Sony’s sound signature. If the ZX-500 is a nice middle ground that would be ideal.

I primarily listen via my 64Audio U12t.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #1,313 of 8,639
Hi, not seen too much in way of a direct comparison to the ZX2 yet. Basically wondering if the ZX500 is a true upgrade or not (similar sound signature with improved technicalities). ZX2 has a few notice left flaws that I’m wondering whether the newer model might fix, plus proving that improved sound too. Or I’m also thinking if it isn’t broke don’t fix it. Ha

I’ve also got a Hugo2 which is a much more capable converter in my honest opinion but I prefer the Sony’s sound signature. If the ZX-500 is a nice middle ground that would be ideal.

I primarily listen via my 64Audio U12t.

The Hugo 2 is fine for headphones but can't even use it with sensitive IEM's without an IEMatch. I could hear internal electrical noise and slight hiss, plus bring a cell phone near it and same issue as with Mojo, cellular bandwidth interference (and even Wifi interference).

Sometimes I'm sure the price tag sways peoples perceptions (and yes, had one for 2 week, and a Mojo). The Sony's just work and still sound excellent.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,314 of 8,639
The Hugo 2 is fine for headphones but can't even use it with sensitive IEM's without an IEMatch. I could hear internal electrical noise and slight hiss, plus bring a cell phone near it and same issue as with Mojo, cellular bandwidth interference (and even Wifi interference).

Sometimes I'm sure the price tag sways peoples perceptions (and yes, had one for 2 week, and a Mojo). The Sony's just work and still sound excellent.

Thanks your response. Although your experience doesn’t match mine as with the U12t I don’t hear any hiss or noise from the Hugo2. It’s just hyper-detailed and bright which isn’t always a good match with these particular IEMs (Very much genre dependent I find).

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #1,315 of 8,639
I think Sony is well ahead of other audiophile equipment companies in their upsampling technology because they are the first to use Artificial Intelligence and Big Data to enchance music quality. This is something beyond what most boutique dac makers can do with FPGA or SHARC DSPs or oversampling/ filter designs.

I find that the music processed by ZX507 DSEE HX AI can sound so much more crispier and more nuanced than what you would hear on any other dap or dac in the market right now.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,316 of 8,639
Do remember to restart your device at least once a week for best performance, as like all Android based devices.
I think Sony is well ahead of other audiophile equipment companies in their upsampling technology because they are the first to use Artificial Intelligence and Big Data to enchance music quality. This is something beyond what most boutique dac makers can do with FPGA or SHARC DSPs or oversampling/ filter designs.

I find that the music processed by ZX507 DSEE HX AI can sound so much more crispier and more nuanced than what you would hear on any other dap or dac in the market right now.

I'm just curious, are you affiliated with Sony ?

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #1,317 of 8,639

Yes its sound great but the only down side of this player is the battery and processing power, I have to wait for over 1 minutes to load my downloaded Qobuz music.

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #1,318 of 8,639

Player sounds pretty good with all that crap turned off too.

Ended up trying one of the TPU cases with the raised buttons [http://www.cmpg.co.jp/musashino/nwzx50c1/index.html]. The raised buttons are cool and make pocket pressing a bit easier, but I think the leather Sony case gives the player more shock protection in case of a drop and gives the screen better protection than the polycarb screen cover that the TPU came with.
Zx507cases.jpg

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,319 of 8,639

I’m not a fan of DSEE HX. To me it makes my music sound unnatural. I only listen to FLAC files though. Maybe it’s better with lower bitrate mp3’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back