SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #91 of 8,639
Price is unrealistic, even fools like me should wait half a year. I got the Chinese version of zx300 for way less than half what they charge in the rest of the world, same dap, just sayin..

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #93 of 8,639
Sep 6, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #94 of 8,639
Sep 6, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #95 of 8,639
Being Android I assume we in Europe will have the same problem as we had with ZX2 that the volume cap can’t be removed

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #97 of 8,639
Good call indeed, that means it's best to purchase the Japan/international edition for now

Sep 6, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #98 of 8,639
I'm assuming that those cassette screen savers move and have the song and artist info on them. And I wonder if Sony is going to do a super duper expensive dap for the 40th anniversary, like they did with discmans versary?

Not that giant monstrosity either, that doesn't count- I mean a proper dap. I had the anniversary discman and oh boy was that sweet as ****. Sadly I don't even know what happened to it, I had several bad chemical addictions back then and my memories are spotty. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #99 of 8,639
I'm assuming that those cassette screen savers move and have the song and artist info on them. And I wonder if Sony is going to do a super duper expensive dap for the 40th anniversary, like they did with discmans versary?

Not that giant monstrosity either, that doesn't count- I mean a proper dap. I had the anniversary discman and oh boy was that sweet as ****. Sadly I don't even know what happened to it, I had several bad chemical addictions back then and my memories are spotty. :frowning2:

I would prefer slightly larger battery to allow longer DSD playbacks than a cool screen saver. The quote 10 hours is more or less 7-8 hours in real life setting. I wonder if the ZX500 will best the ZX300 in sound quality department.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #100 of 8,639
Do we know why the model name is 507 and not simply 500? Is it because there'll be 32 and 16GB variants named 506 and 505 respectively like the A40 series?

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #101 of 8,639

Looks like the A100-TPS is the 40th Anniversary dap. It's available in a bundle with that case that looks like the original Walkman complete with a window so you can see the cassette screen saver. It also has a 40th Anniversary Walkman logo on the rear. It costs EUR90 more than the basic A106.

Initially I thought the A100 was a more interesting DAP than the ZX500. It is much cheaper, smaller and lighter but has the same screen, same Android (presumably with same EU volume cap issue), similar lousy battery life and costs EUR349. It is however single-ended only unlike all the competition and has even more anaemic power output than the ZX500. It does not appear to have any redeeming features to make up for the single-ended nature, low power and small battery. Then again if it's main competition is the Hiby R5, the latter is bigger, heavier and has even worse battery life but at least it's powerful and can do balanced output. Hmmm. If I wanted a small, light but still useful Android tablet that also sounds good, I might consider the A100. For pure DAP duties, M0 is still the value king.

A100 doesn't seem to have set the forum alight. No thread yet.

https://www.sony.de/electronics/walkman/nw-a100-series

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #103 of 8,639
What part about the ZX500 do you not like? Not trying to start an argument, just curious about what you think

How come Hi-Res wouldn't work in other apps, and what is Android SRC?

I suppose it is rather odd they stuck with a rather low output, but it doesn't bother me personally as I have sensitive ears. Though if you think about it increasing it will considerably impact battery life even more. 20 hours is definitely a decrease but it still seems to be slightly better than the competition I think

I suspect the low power output has to do with their Class D amp design. Way back when the A10 series was released I had a chance to talk to a Sony rep about the poor power output. While their amp design is very efficient it does not scale well for added power. The DAP's would have to get larger and thus less portable and alot more expensive and battery size would also have to increase. Sony seems to use relatively small batteries in their DAP's.

Sony has to juggle manufacturing cost, power output and battery life as the profit margin is not huge on DAP's and neither are the sales compared to smartphones. It is all about making compromises when designing DAP's to make high enough profit margins to keep making them.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #104 of 8,639
I would prefer slightly larger battery to allow longer DSD playbacks than a cool screen saver. The quote 10 hours is more or less 7-8 hours in real life setting. I wonder if the ZX500 will best the ZX300 in sound quality department.

Don't know but that screen saver probably won't effect battery life much if any. I'm assuming it doesn't stay on all the time.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #105 of 8,639
Looks like the A100-TPS is the 40th Anniversary dap. It's available in a bundle with that case that looks like the original Walkman complete with a window so you can see the cassette screen saver. It also has a 40th Anniversary Walkman logo on the rear. It costs EUR90 more than the basic A106.

Initially I thought the A100 was a more interesting DAP than the ZX500. It is much cheaper, smaller and lighter but has the same screen, same Android (presumably with same EU volume cap issue), similar lousy battery life and costs EUR349. It is however single-ended only unlike all the competition and has even more anaemic power output than the ZX500. It does not appear to have any redeeming features to make up for the single-ended nature, low power and small battery. Then again if it's main competition is the Hiby R5, the latter is bigger, heavier and has even worse battery life but at least it's powerful and can do balanced output. Hmmm. If I wanted a small, light but still useful Android tablet that also sounds good, I might consider the A100. For pure DAP duties, M0 is still the value king.

A100 doesn't seem to have set the forum alight. No thread yet.

https://www.sony.de/electronics/walkman/nw-a100-series

Yep I wouldn't buy that, I've already got the r5, which btw isn't that heavy in pocket. I just mowed an acre with push mower with it in my pocket.

I've also got ap80 for workouts and such, the screen on the m0 for me is a bit scrunched. But I would definitely take r5 with me for a jog or biking.

Anyways disappointing with that as the 40th anniversary model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back