SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 18, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #7,861 of 8,639
So I finally put FLAC files on my NW-ZX507 wow. This sounds so much better than Tidal and the battery life is finally good.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #7,863 of 8,639
What I don’t understand is why does music sound so much better in the Sony Music app than say Tidal or Spotify (music downloaded). This is irrespective if it’s 320kbps or lossless vs Spotify or Tidal. High Res streaming on/off upsamping doesn’t make a difference - it’s always better in the Sony Music app.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #7,864 of 8,639
What I don’t understand is why does music sound so much better in the Sony Music app than say Tidal or Spotify (music downloaded). This is irrespective if it’s 320kbps or lossless vs Spotify or Tidal. High Res streaming on/off upsamping doesn’t make a difference - it’s always better in the Sony Music app.
Sony music app is playing direct. Android apps are sending audio through the Android audio stack PRIOR to it reaching the DAC. it is resampled and messed with before it hits the Dac, so it CANNOT sound as good as the untouched music in the Walkman app

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #7,865 of 8,639

What do you think of Tidal through UAPP? UAPP is able to use the same audio path as the Walkman app for bit-perfect playback.

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #7,867 of 8,639
Can you explain what you mean through UAPP? I just play and download Tidal songs in the Tidal app set to the HiFi setting which as I understand is lossless.

There is an Android music player app, USB Audio Player Pro. This app allows you to login to Tidal and play music from there bit-perfectly on the ZX500/A100 players. All other 3rd party apps are using a different audio path, the one that resamples the audio, while UAPP can play audio through the same audio path as the Walkman app, the one that doesn't do any resampling.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #7,868 of 8,639
Oh wow! I didn’t know that/didn’t put that together. I will try using UAPP I have the paid version already

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #7,869 of 8,639
There is an Android music player app, USB Audio Player Pro. This app allows you to login to Tidal and play music from there bit-perfectly on the ZX500/A100 players. All other 3rd party apps are using a different audio path, the one that resamples the audio, while UAPP can play audio through the same audio path as the Walkman app, the one that doesn't do any resampling, the same one used by the Walkman player app.
UAPP allows you to play bit perfect like the Walkman APP. It sounds great too but from my experience it has a sharp sound that could be fatiguing. The Walkman APP has a more analogue or warmer sound. Nonetheless, you can't go wrong with both.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #7,870 of 8,639
UAPP allows you to play bit perfect like the Walkman APP. It sounds great too but from my experience it has a sharp sound that could be fatiguing. The Walkman APP has a more analogue or warmer sound. Nonetheless, you can't go wrong with both.

This is what I noticed as well on the A105, though there was someone mentioning how they hear no difference.

Dec 18, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #7,871 of 8,639
Mr walkman is there a firmware for the zx-507 or does it not need to be any better? Just noticed there is custom firmware for other models?

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #7,874 of 8,639
Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB

This card sounds super dynamic. Bass feels full bodied with very extended sub-bass.
Vocal has alot of depth in soundstage
Male vocals feels more throaty
Its feels even more 3D and holographic.
It feels unrestricted in it's transient delivery.
Treble feels really well extended and smooth.
This card has impressed me alot so far.
Very exciting sound with really nice bass feel.
Sounds warmer than sandisk high endurance.
This card has a very large audio system kind of sound, very bold and dynamic. Highly recommended as well.
  1. Which file system do you use (NTFS or exFat)?
  2. Which cluster size do you use?

Dec 18, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #7,875 of 8,639
Agreed through and through: I haven’t check some in your list but I definitely agree with Lexar, Evo, and Extreme Pro in your ranking
  1. Which file system do you use (NTFS or exFat)?
  2. Which cluster size do you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back