SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 16, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #7,846 of 8,639
i power off unit after use
I do too, however I sleep listening to music, otherwise I'm up for hours just thinking. So I have a firehouse alarm sound saved as a file in the X507 as my alarm, and I start a Playlist when I go to sleep and eventually doze off, o ly to be jolted out of my sleep by that loud ringing at my set time 🤣

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #7,850 of 8,639
Using the Sony music player, if you connect a USB DAC/AMP to the player it should offer to output to it. It’s how it behaves with Sony’s own TA-ZH1ES
Does'nt this player have a built in dac? why would u need to connect to another dac?

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #7,851 of 8,639
Does'nt this player have a built in dac? why would u need to connect to another dac?
The player indeed does have a DAC.

In this particular scenario I was replying to someone who enquired if they could use the player as a transport for another device. For example to play music on a speaker system

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #7,852 of 8,639
Four or five hours streaming on Spotify if I’m using EQ and another sound processor. It’s abysmal.
Look how small the device is. It has a less than 2000mah battery. A credit card sized USB c power pack solves that issue for an additional $20

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #7,853 of 8,639
Look how small the device is. It has a less than 2000mah battery. A credit card sized USB c power pack solves that issue for an additional $20
Convenience factor of such a small device greatly diminishes when it can’t stream music for any meaningful amount of time and I have to carry a portable charger with me everywhere I go. Would of preferred they made it slightly thicker. Anyone that’s using this device at the moment is charging it a lot! If it wasn’t meant for streaming they should of avoided Android altogether and all the bloatware this device comes with. Not to mention the CPU barely keeps up with the OS, clearly not very well optimised and dwarfed by phones on the market that cost half as much with much greater computing power. I would go as far as saying I feel short changed but I keep using this device because I like the sound quality.

Dec 17, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #7,854 of 8,639
Convenience factor of such a small device greatly diminishes when it can’t stream music for any meaningful amount of time and I have to carry a portable charger with me everywhere I go. Would of preferred they made it slightly thicker. Anyone that’s using this device at the moment is charging it a lot! If it wasn’t meant for streaming they should of avoided Android altogether and all the bloatware this device comes with. Not to mention the CPU barely keeps up with the OS, clearly not very well optimised and dwarfed by phones on the market that cost half as much with much greater computing power. I would go as far as saying I feel short changed but I keep using this device because I like the sound quality.
You can't do most streaming and certainly not offline streamed subscriptions without Android unless maybe us a Apple iPod Touch.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #7,855 of 8,639
You can't do most streaming and certainly not offline streamed subscriptions without Android unless maybe us a Apple iPod Touch.
My point exactly... they built a streaming device which offers a few hours battery life in this playback mode. Do it right or don’t do it at all.

Android is resource heavy and in this case this device clearly needed a larger battery and a more powerful cpu to support a core feature which is to stream music.

Dec 17, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #7,856 of 8,639
I agree with you. But in this day in age the sound quality is the only reason to me to use a dedicated player. Phones these days do it all, and you can get LG devices hella cheap. Had my Sony for almost 2 wks and the sound is getting better.

Dec 17, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #7,857 of 8,639
why stream and cost $ when u can get hi-res on a sd card and pay nothing

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #7,858 of 8,639
why stream and cost $ when u can get hi-res on a sd card and pay nothing
My music taste is constantly evolving and I’m always on the hunt for new music. Streaming music facilitates this. If I had to buy everything I wanted to listen to it would cost much more than my two subscriptions to Tidal and Spotify combined. It would also be very time consuming if I had download it all even if I could source it all for free.

There are players that provide better sound quality and more output power that don’t provide streaming. I own a few that are better in this regard.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #7,859 of 8,639
i have a site that has everything and cost nothing but the download fee per month so u have every music theme at ur finger tips, all hi-res. mind u this is my first player and intro into hi-res and enjoying it with the introduction

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #7,860 of 8,639
i have a site that has everything and cost nothing but the download fee per month so u have every music theme at ur finger tips, all hi-res. mind u this is my first player and intro into hi-res and enjoying it with the introduction
Because we don't believe in breaking copyright laws and stealing artists work maybe ? Most don't make much from streaming as it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back