SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 4, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #7,636 of 8,639
Nothing wrong with how the 507 sounds, noticeably better than the ZX300 imo, and it's a very small compact device compared to many other daps, it loses out power wise, and is a bit slow starting up - and battery is sufficient at around 12-14 hrs. It's ok with iem's (just get the un-capped version), forget most full size headphones though, but it was never designed for those anyway. Paw 6K is a step up in sound but should be at roughly twice the price.

Just looking and hovering over the buy button tonight on the 6K - held back though as suspect it won't be enough of an upgrade vs 1A... probably best waiting on something like the Shanling M9, or indeed if Sony release a new flagship.

A good deal though on the 6K right now...

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/lotoo/products/lotoo-paw-6000?variant=30336010780734

I still love the 507 as my ultra-portable DAP for out walking etc.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #7,637 of 8,639
The main reason I’m not selling my ZX507 is because Sony’s UI and industrial design are better than anything else I’ve tried. It sounds plenty good — maybe a bit warm and not as detailed compared to my AK SR25. My Shanling M3X default player app is just so much worse. I basically am holding out for the android successor mainly for Sony’s excellent overall package, hardware and software. When that new flagship comes out is probably when I’d consider selling off the ZX507. I think it’s still a really strong DAP if you don’t need much power (I listen pretty much only on low impedance earbuds and sometimes IEMs).

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #7,638 of 8,639
Just looking and hovering over the buy button tonight on the 6K - held back though as suspect it won't be enough of an upgrade vs 1A... probably best waiting on something like the Shanling M9, or indeed if Sony release a new flagship.

A good deal though on the 6K right now...

https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/lotoo/products/lotoo-paw-6000?variant=30336010780734

I still love the 507 as my ultra-portable DAP for out walking etc.

That's a terrific deal, the player is very fast, almost instant start up. Yes I'm quite fond of my 507 to, it amazes me how small it is and feels very solid.

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #7,639 of 8,639
The main reason I’m not selling my ZX507 is because Sony’s UI and industrial design are better than anything else I’ve tried. It sounds plenty good — maybe a bit warm and not as detailed compared to my AK SR25. My Shanling M3X default player app is just so much worse. I basically am holding out for the android successor mainly for Sony’s excellent overall package, hardware and software. When that new flagship comes out is probably when I’d consider selling off the ZX507. I think it’s still a really strong DAP if you don’t need much power (I listen pretty much only on low impedance earbuds and sometimes IEMs).

I'm also looking forward to what Sony comes up with next, they're very reliable players.

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #7,643 of 8,639
I do find other players to have more resolution and power but the 507 has particular sound characteristics which I haven’t really found elsewhere. The mid range has a special spatial quality to it whilst maintaining a rich tonality that is reminiscent of the sound you get from a good Class A amp. The added extensive and optional processing and system wide EQ is also something you don’t normally get with other players in this price bracket. The sound of this player is what people should buying into as long as it provides enough power for your iems. Don’t think it was really designed to power over ear headphones.

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #7,644 of 8,639
The added extensive and optional processing

The thing is that most of the sound signature of these players is achieved in software, so there's always sound processing involved. This is basically the "secret" of the special sound Sony players has.

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #7,645 of 8,639
The thing is that most of the sound signature of these players is achieved in software, so there's always sound processing involved. This is basically the "secret" of the special sound Sony players has.

Ah hence your firmware making such a difference, I wondered how a WM1A could sound close to the 1Z considering the different hardware.

Sep 6, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #7,646 of 8,639
Ah hence your firmware making such a difference, I wondered how a WM1A could sound close to the 1Z considering the different hardware.

Inside the 1A and 1Z there is basically the same PCB, the only difference being that 1Z boards have 256GB of storage and different resistors, capacitors, and some wires.

1630933629335.png

Sep 6, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #7,648 of 8,639
@MrWalkman, everytime I see your nym pop up in this thread I always think or hope you will have a nice hack for the ZX500 series to share. I know it will probably never happen, but one can keep hoping...

We would at least need root access, and I also don't own the ZX500, so very small chances to have something in the future.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #7,649 of 8,639
We would at least need root access, and I also don't own the ZX500, so very small chances to have something in the future.

I was browsing the ZX2 thread and surprisingly it appears a couple of people were successful in rooting the ZX2 to fix the EU volume cap. I'm not willing to test this out, just interesting that a couple guys were able to root the ZX2.

Forum post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-zx2-dap.742609/post-13552038

emilsoft said:

All righty - these are the steps I took to root my ZX2 and tweak the system config to disable the volume cap. I don't guarantee this will work for you, and do it at your own risk - if you brick or damage your ZX2 it's not my fault! and the Chinese root tool will likely install some bloatware apps or who knows what other dodgy stuff it does

First select: Settings >> Security >> Unknown sources on your device.

Download the following apps from google play:
ES File Explorer (or other file explorer)

On your ZX2 download the APK from this URL: root.360.cn (mobile version download)

Go to your downloads folder and install the downloaded APK - accept security warnings. Open the rooting app and press the large center circular button (need to be connected to wifi).. the app will start trying to root your devices and display percentage - you might see security warnings from Android, just accept them and keep going - once it's done you might see a sad face, if so, try again by pressing the circular button.. eventually I managed to get successfull root (different icon to sad face), you're in business.. I had to attempt few times before it worked for me.

Once Rooted:

0. set root access in settings of ES File Explorer - root tool popup warning will come up > accept on left button i think (in Chinese)

1. you can access /configs/region.zip

2. copy paste region.zip back it up to your own folder just in case

3. unzip /configs/region.zip (you might need unzip app from playstore)

4. edit region.prop (you might need a text editor from play store):
ro.sony.volume_limit=0
ro.sony.walkman.euvollimit (add one more zero to the end of the integer value)

5. save it, zip it up and put it back like it was before /configs/region.zip but with the changed values

6. Restart your device and voila, louder by about 20-30%

7. Optional: uninstall root tool and bloatware

I can verify that this works.

Its a little quirky, so if people are struggling how to do this, I am happy to put together a detailed guide.

My ZX-2 went from being useless with MDR-7Z to being able to drive them at pull volume . Its sad how handicapped the EU model is

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #7,650 of 8,639
What do you think of the 1a versus the 507? I was always under the impression the 1a was a bit more analytical/clinical then the 507 based on what I read only. I’m a sucker for very lush sound so I always run my 507 with the vinyl processor by the way and my desktop rig is a tube DAC and tube AMP. According to reviews of the Shanling M8 I’m hopeful their coming M9 with AKM dac chip will have a sound signature much towards the lush musical sound we get with Sony.
so, i've been using mrwalkman's midnight mod, after listening a little, this is what i thought of it
you might be right in that the stock 1a is more analytical, but with the mod warmness is about even for both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back