SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 3, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #7,622 of 8,639
May I ask what DAP you switched to? I’m waiting on the new Shanling M9 to make my move unless Sony grants me a wish and come up with a new modern 1Z/1A! Haha
As much as I'd love that, my wallet won't!

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #7,623 of 8,639
I got the 1a and kann alpha 🙂
What do you think of the 1a versus the 507? I was always under the impression the 1a was a bit more analytical/clinical then the 507 based on what I read only. I’m a sucker for very lush sound so I always run my 507 with the vinyl processor by the way and my desktop rig is a tube DAC and tube AMP. According to reviews of the Shanling M8 I’m hopeful their coming M9 with AKM dac chip will have a sound signature much towards the lush musical sound we get with Sony.

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #7,624 of 8,639
What do you think of the 1a versus the 507? I was always under the impression the 1a was a bit more analytical/clinical then the 507 based on what I read only. I’m a sucker for very lush sound so I always run my 507 with the vinyl processor by the way and my desktop rig is a tube DAC and tube AMP. According to reviews of the Shanling M8 I’m hopeful their coming M9 with AKM dac chip will have a sound signature much towards the lush musical sound we get with Sony.
I actually only got it yesterday, so i havent had the chance to compare. Will let u know when i do 🙂

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #7,625 of 8,639
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #7,627 of 8,639
Does ZX507 have any sort of waterfall background noise? I'm using very sensitive Westone ES60. Almost every player I have tried recently has some sort of audible background noise.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #7,628 of 8,639
Does ZX507 have any sort of waterfall background noise? I'm using very sensitive Westone ES60. Almost every player I have tried recently has some sort of audible background noise.
Zx507 was made for low power devices. Doesn't ha e the power to handle moderate to high imedence devices properly, but on a plus side, handles low impedence devices wonderfully with no background noise

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #7,631 of 8,639
So many people selling their Z507’s. Every few posts someone letting theirs go. Any particular reason for this? I’m still in love with the special Sony sound. Other players might offer more resolution and power but the sound of this player is still magical to my ears. Sony do it different.

Sep 4, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #7,632 of 8,639
So many people selling their Z507’s. Every few posts someone letting theirs go. Any particular reason for this? I’m still in love with the special Sony sound. Other players might offer more resolution and power but the sound of this player is still magical to my ears. Sony do it different.
I have been critical of its power in some of my posts in this thread before. this is my main reason for selling mine, went with a much more expensive Lotoo but it fits all of my needs. i do still really like the Sony and its sound. i love its size/footprint for an android player. i am annoyed that almost all of the other brand are going with the huge screen/phone size. i just don't need 2 DAP's :)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #7,633 of 8,639
I have been critical of its power in some of my posts in this thread before. this is my main reason for selling mine, went with a much more expensive Lotoo but it fits all of my needs. i do still really like the Sony and its sound. i love its size/footprint for an android player. i am annoyed that almost all of the other brand are going with the huge screen/phone size. i just don't need 2 DAP's :)
Very similar for me. Ordered a Lotoo Paw 6000 to compare and the 507 was outclassed. A lot of it was due to excessive warmth from the EE Legend X pairing because with other pairings, it was great. Also in the end, low power, small battery, overall slowness and lack of USB DAC became a burden too heavy to carry. If sony could just release a 507V2 with those areas improved, they would have a winner and my interest as well.

Sep 4, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #7,634 of 8,639
Li Ed my zx507 last 8 months. Purchased Shanling m8. Sony has a warmer overall sound that I like, but I also like the e tra detail and power, and low end of the m8. Different class device. So, I'll be putting mine up soon as well most likely. Love the footprint, UT I don't need a second DAP as I can use a backup phone as an on the go bluetooth player

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #7,635 of 8,639
Nothing wrong with how the 507 sounds, noticeably better than the ZX300 imo, and it's a very small compact device compared to many other daps, it loses out power wise, and is a bit slow starting up - and battery is sufficient at around 12-14 hrs. It's ok with iem's (just get the un-capped version), forget most full size headphones though, but it was never designed for those anyway. Paw 6K is a step up in sound but should be at roughly twice the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back