SONY NW-ZX500
Apr 15, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #7,142 of 8,639
Xperia 1 III is advertised as capable of mixing stereo music into 360 spatial sound. Skip to 26min of video:

It is likely that ZX507 and A105 has its own spatial sound processing system as well.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #7,143 of 8,639
Seems like Sony could have done some sound changes to the headphone app (latest version 7.5.0)

Now my IER-M9 seems to have better bass feel after headphone app update. Bass doesn’t sound as weak and distant as before. Seems like Sony has adjusted the sound positioning and output level of the bass in its spatial sound engine. Bass has 360 enveloping like sound and feels less directional.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #7,144 of 8,639
It really helps that Sony shows the EQ settings for it's presets so you have a starting point when doing your own custom settings

relaxed.jpg

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #7,145 of 8,639
I would now recommend those who had hold back on updating to the new firmware due concerns about sound signature to seriously consider updating now. To my ears, Sony has fixed the inadequate bass warmth issue. The current firmware with the headphone app update has a very enveloping spatial soundstage with the IER-M9 balanced, you can hear sound elements coming from the back of your head and it doesn’t feel artificially processed.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #7,146 of 8,639
I would now recommend those who had hold back on updating to the new firmware due concerns about sound signature to seriously consider updating now. To my ears, Sony has fixed the inadequate bass warmth issue. The current firmware with the headphone app update has a very enveloping spatial soundstage with the IER-M9 balanced, you can hear sound elements coming from the back of your head and it doesn’t feel artificially processed.
Also Sony Headphone app recommends to perform a new ears shape analysis, in order to fully benefit from the latest improvements

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #7,147 of 8,639
Also Sony Headphone app recommends to perform a new ears shape analysis, in order to fully benefit from the latest improvements
Yes. After re-uploading a new ear shape analysis, I felt that the subbass has improved quite significantly. Looks like this ear shape analysis is a step which all ZX507/A105 users must do in order to experience the 360 sound experience offered by this new spatial sound engine developed by Sony.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #7,148 of 8,639
1.Update ZX507 firmware to 4.02.00
2.Update Sony headphone app to 7.5.0 on Google App Store
3. Delete all existing headsets profile from your headphone app.
4. (Re)Create a new wired headset profile for your Sony headphone/iem.
5. (Re)Upload your ear profile to Sony by using your smartphone camera
6. Reset sound adjustment app settings
7. Reapply back your own dsp settings

By doing the above, it should ensure there are no memory glitches/bugs left off from the older settings on the older firmware and you will start off from a clean state.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #7,149 of 8,639
I feel with the newly enhanced spatial sound engine, the IER-M9 has seen the most improvement with the ZX507. IER-M9 soundstage and imaging strengths are being fully utilised. Vocals are rendered in extreme clarity with exact stereo imaging precision. The spatial sound engine seems to extract out each instrument and vocals in your music and gives it an unique static positioning within the sound sphere and also the spatial engine renders the each instrument and vocals with its own sound reverberations and reflections. And also this time Sony has perfected the transient response, every drum beat and cymbal clash are perfectly timed and has the right amount of attack with the IER-M9. Loud transients and fine sounds don’t affect each other, you get to hear every soft detail played together with the loud transients as they are rendered with different spatial positioning at the same time.

It’s hard to describe it with words but I guess the term I shall use is a new 3D spherical soundstage like experience. Music recording with raindrops or waterfall sounds takes on a 360 like sound.

The soundstaging size also varies according to the music recording and is not a one size soundstaging. In this new improved version, there’s a lot more music information that is coming from the back and top side of your head.

I guess the waiting time for the next flagship Walkman isn’t as bad since the ZX507 with IER-M9 on this current Q1 2021 firmware really does provide a unique and enjoyable Sony 3D sound experience.

also I am using a scarier 80 to 90 volume level on high gain with the IER-M9. The spatial sound does make music rendered in a more distant position thus the overall music does not as sound loud as previous firmware.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #7,153 of 8,639
Nice, congrats on the pickup. I also got mine from AccessoryJack. If anyone is considering buying from them, they have great customer service. I asked them to open mine and check for dead pixels before sending it out and they obliged and sent photos! I do notice I still get some stuck/hot white subpixels if you look at the screen from a certain angle. It's most noticeable on the initial bootup screen, but when using anything lower than max brightness against a completely black background you can't see them. I also run a dead pixel fixer app from the play store for 15-20 minutes when I worry it gets to be a problem. Kind of disappointing that I've had pixel issues on two units given the price of the device, though

Apr 16, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #7,154 of 8,639
Apr 16, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #7,155 of 8,639
It cannot be fixed, as it is not a bug. It's a feature. And there's no way of removing it for now.
It is still there, but it has improved significantly with the firmware updates. With my Sony MDR1MK2 it is no longer an issue to me. Normally I hear with volume 65 to 80 (of 120) depending on the volume level of the track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back