SONY NW-ZX500
Apr 13, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #7,126 of 8,639
Hey guys, I'm interested to know whether there is ANY way in using it as a USB DAC for PC? Thanks!

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #7,130 of 8,639
wow. That makes a LOT OF SENSE, SONY!
Yes, it does, its a DAP so spend development $ on making it a great DAP.

Get the excellent BTR5 and use as wired DAC or a Dragonfly Red or Cobalt for PC, or even a Mojo.

I just have ZX507 and BTR5 now to meet all my needs.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #7,131 of 8,639

Get the excellent BTR5 and use as wired DAC or a Dragonfly Red or Cobalt for PC, or even a Mojo.
Yeah, fwiw, I agree with this. All-in-one devices are fine, but for people like me, that means paying for features I don't want. Not to mention that more features can mean more problems as well. If a device doesn't have what you want, move on. There's something that will do what you want, for the most part, if you're willing to pay for it.

Apr 13, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #7,132 of 8,639

I just have ZX507 and BTR5 now to meet all my needs.

Well, I see what you say, but then....why is the MUCH CHEAPER A55 and the much more expensive WM series work as USB dacs?

I already have a dedicated dac (ifi xDSD) , I was just curious. However as far as portable bt dacs, I had the BTR5 for half a year and was never happy with it. The bt connection was very bad, especially when on the move, and the sound wasn't up to par even with my xperia phone. I got the Qudelix 5k, same price, MUCH better SQ and bt connection stability.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #7,133 of 8,639

By the way, I tested a BTR5 and Dragonfly Cobalt versus an A45 with a WM1A/Z-based custom firmware (not released yet, needs some more work), and the A45 was always a lot better. The difference was very clearly audible, with Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro.

Apr 13, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #7,134 of 8,639
Well, I see what you say, but then....why is the MUCH CHEAPER A55 and the much more expensive WM series work as USB dacs?

I already have a dedicated dac (ifi xDSD) , I was just curious. However as far as portable bt dacs, I had the BTR5 for half a year and was never happy with it. The bt connection was very bad, especially when on the move, and the sound wasn't up to par even with my xperia phone. I got the Qudelix 5k, same price, MUCH better SQ and bt connection stability.

Android vs Sony OS ?

Don't get me wrong, it should be an added-value feature.

I've never had a BT connection issue with ZX507 or my S10+ phone to BTR5 (BTR3 was poor), and I use mine to cycle to work with the phone or DAP in the pannier on the back!

I think the BTR5 via balanced* and wired sounds as good as any DAP/DAC I've had but obviously the different tuning/signature. I will never sell on my BTR5. If I could only keep either ZX507 or BTR5 (used with phone) I would keep the BTR5, and I've had a DF Red & Cobalt and Mojo to name a few, and even a Hugo2 (still best with headphones). As I've mentioned before, I only use two IEM's now, SE846 and K10U.

If I only wanted to play my own files and only via 3.5mm I would likely have the A55 instead for the mix of cost/SQ/size/design/battery.

* Nothing special over its 3.5mm connection.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #7,135 of 8,639
Android vs Sony OS ?

Don't get me wrong, it should be an added-value feature.

I've never had a BT connection issue with ZX507 or my S10+ phone to BTR5 (BTR3 was poor), and I use mine to cycle to work with the phone or DAP in the pannier on the back!

I think the BTR5 via balanced* and wired sounds as good as any DAP/DAC I've had but obviously the different tuning/signature. I will never sell on my BTR5. If I could only keep either ZX507 or BTR5 (used with phone) I would keep the BTR5, and I've had a DF Red & Cobalt and Mojo to name a few, and even a Hugo2 (still best with headphones). As I've mentioned before, I only use two IEM's now, SE846 and K10U.

If I only wanted to play my own files and only via 3.5mm I would likely have the A55 instead for the mix of cost/SQ/size/design/battery.

* Nothing special over its 3.5mm connection.

True but considering many other offerings of DAPs with Android OS offer the usb DAC functionality, its still a clear and unfortunate omission.

As for the BTR5, I used it on 2.5mm. I even changed one, same problem (phone in one pocket, btr in the other), when tunning cycling, etc, constant dropout. No such thing with the Qudelix 5k or the ifi xDSD via bluetooth. And as far as SQ, i guess its up to taste and headphones used. I use the Campfire Dorado 2020, and the btr5 was very poor, rough and unrefined in the upper registries, thin vocals and drums, noticeably thinner and narrower soundstage than the output straight out of the Xperia 1 II. This was solved with the Qudelix 5K which is much better in every aspect (they actually worked woth Sony in developing the LDAC codex for qualcomm SoC). The xDSD is however in another league.

Its also a shame Sony doesn't come out with their own bt dac, since they created LDAC.

Apr 13, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #7,136 of 8,639
Out of curiosity, what volume level do you listen to with IEMs and easy to drive cans? On the 4.4 bal output I think I was around the 75-85/120 range on Blessing2s the first day I got the DAP, and in hindsight that seems way too loud. I enabled the AVLS and see it caps at 68/120, which seems more reasonable. I can listen comfortably around 55/120... I'm using Sony MDR-1AM2, Phonon 4400, Moondrop Blessing2: Dusk, and NiceHCK ME80 buds so all are pretty easy. how about yall?
EDIT: I am just now realizing there's a Dynamic Normalizer for volume. I'll try using that too to keep volume in check

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #7,137 of 8,639
Out of curiosity, what volume level do you listen to with IEMs and easy to drive cans? On the 4.4 bal output I think I was around the 75-85/120 range on Blessing2s the first day I got the DAP, and in hindsight that seems way too loud. I enabled the AVLS and see it caps at 68/120, which seems more reasonable. I can listen comfortably around 55/120... I'm using Sony MDR-1AM2, Phonon 4400, Moondrop Blessing2: Dusk, and NiceHCK ME80 buds so all are pretty easy. how about yall?
EDIT: I am just now realizing there's a Dynamic Normalizer for volume. I'll try using that too to keep volume in check
Capped ZX507, approx. 80 to 100, depending on a track volume level.

Apr 14, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #7,138 of 8,639
Out of interest has the volume cap thing been fixed via firmware updates or is it still an issue?

I have an SR25 I am considering returning (terrific sound but really I do not like the UI so far) Part of me thinks I am mad for considering but I have a mr walkman modded a55 and like the Sony devices but the whole volume limit thing has put me off, I’d buy the zx300 if they still made them.

I have HD599s so not the most demanding, the SR25 drives them pretty well but they do not really come to life until you hit the 90s (out of 150).

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #7,139 of 8,639
Anybody know how the 507 does with final a8000 or dunu Luna?

Apr 15, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #7,140 of 8,639
Out of interest has the volume cap thing been fixed via firmware updates or is it still an issue?

I have an SR25 I am considering returning (terrific sound but really I do not like the UI so far) Part of me thinks I am mad for considering but I have a mr walkman modded a55 and like the Sony devices but the whole volume limit thing has put me off, I’d buy the zx300 if they still made them.

I have HD599s so not the most demanding, the SR25 drives them pretty well but they do not really come to life until you hit the 90s (out of 150).
It cannot be fixed, as it is not a bug. It's a feature. And there's no way of removing it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back