SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 26, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #691 of 8,639
Amazon.co.jp stop sale of the zx507 to HK a few days, it was ok a week ago. looks like I have to go to Japan and buy it.

Nov 26, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #693 of 8,639
ZX507 landed in France, and it is even discounted for BF : 700€ new :grin:
Meanwhile I bought a DX160 for 2x less and I'm happy so I'll pass, otherwise it would be mine already

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on ZX507 and DX160. I'm thinking of getting SR15 or ZX507 or DX160. Since DX160 is so much cheaper than other two & has a sound signature totally different from ZX300 (which I currently have), then it seems it's the most obvious choice. Furthermore, it has parametric EQ together with 6 filter settings which is 1-2 steps up compared to regular 10-band EQ on Sony.

Nov 26, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #694 of 8,639
You can also buy from here I think (Japan)
https://fujiya-avic.jp/products/list.php?mode=search&category_id=&name=zx507

My friend bought some items before. Sent via EMS. There was no problem with delivery, or customs in his experience.

The driving power of the ZX507 is great IMO. No broken resolution, listening at 67 with the Noble Khan IEM. Thinking of selling my ALO amplifier. Using the amp although increases the spatial range. The expansion comes with reduction in density, and definition. Although good for ZX507 (since it doesn't have the widest soundstage), and for congested tracks (by expanding space between instruments), amplifying also brings the main vocals slightly more forward, and overall sound thinner, treble brighter/sparklier, as well as reducing the bass. As much as I like the increase in soundstage, the amplifier made the Khan sound sibilant in the 's' pronuncing sound.

The 4.4 BAL compared with the 3.5 SE output sounds pretty satisfying so far. It's very good IMO at increasing the dynamism in the presentation. The bass felt more full, and rounded/controlled. The midrange more centered, and bolder in comparison with the SE being a tad shy. Basically the BAL output sounds more serious in its rendition. Albeit not day and night difference.

The cassette screensaver AFAIK is only for the Walkman, not Spotify or Tidal.

Nov 26, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #695 of 8,639
Just got mine. Still checking everything out but it looks so small next to the SE100. Shout to @brokengundam for the FromJapan rec. Ordered on the 20th and received it today on the 26th. If you catch them during one of their 10% Rakuten promos (like today) you can get the DAP and case for around $800 USD.

fiRRvFm.jpg

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #696 of 8,639
Just got mine. Still checking everything out but it looks so small next to the SE100. Shout to @brokengundam for the FromJapan rec. Ordered on the 20th and received it today on the 26th. If you catch them during one of their 10% Rakuten promos (like today) you can get the DAP and case for around $800 USD.
I hope you enjoy it! I don't see myself replacing mine until it breaks. It covers all bases pretty well, and sounds good doing it. Almost wish I liked to use the Walkman app to get closer to the advertised battery life, but such is life.

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #697 of 8,639
I hope you enjoy it! I don't see myself replacing mine until it breaks. It covers all bases pretty well, and sounds good doing it. Almost wish I liked to use the Walkman app to get closer to the advertised battery life, but such is life.

What app do you use, I actually like the Walkman app because of the sort by Album Artist. I plan to charge it up tonight, disable most of the android nonsense and see how long it lasts.

Hoping they add a USB DAC in the future so I can end my quest for a DAP that can replace my work and commute setup.

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #698 of 8,639
What app do you use, I actually like the Walkman app because of the sort by Album Artist. I plan to charge it up tonight, disable most of the android nonsense and see how long it lasts.

Hoping they add a USB DAC in the future so I can end my quest for a DAP that can replace my work and commute setup.
I mostly use Poweramp. It has all the settings I need (EQ, replay gain, driver for external headphone amp) and I like its UI more than the Walkman app, Neutron or USB player pro. I disabled most of the android stuff as well, and I guess it must of helped somewhat, but I think I can only get 11ish hours of play with maybe 15 minutes of screen time using Poweramp with the WiFi off. Streaming Video kills the battery super quick. I think 3 episodes of BoJack killed 40-50% of the battery, even with the screen at minimal brightness. But hey, it works and charges fast enough with a PD/Quickcharger, so I can live the the battery.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #700 of 8,639
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on ZX507 and DX160. I'm thinking of getting SR15 or ZX507 or DX160. Since DX160 is so much cheaper than other two & has a sound signature totally different from ZX300 (which I currently have), then it seems it's the most obvious choice. Furthermore, it has parametric EQ together with 6 filter settings which is 1-2 steps up compared to regular 10-band EQ on Sony.

I used to own the DX220, I absolutely hated it because the device was extremely laggy. DX160 has worse spesifications so it should be even more laggy. I don't recommend any iBasso players.

Nov 26, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #701 of 8,639
Sharing some interesting info on the ZX500:

Please use Google Translate for this site:
https://www.sony.jp/walkman/special/flagship/zx500/

From the article, it seems that ZX500 is a cumulation of audio technology/engineering from the A50, WM1, ZX2, ZX300, DMP-Z1 series.
Kazuhiro Sekine [Product design]

The appeal of digital amplifiers is that they can be enjoyed from digital to digital without converting the digital sound source to analog. A wide variety of sounds from all genres can be played evenly. S-Master HX is a technology that Walkman has been using for some time. From the 2016 WM1 series, it switched to a new generation of devices, and the sound quality has been greatly improved, such as balanced connections, native playback up to 11.2MHz * for DSEE HX, and 384kHz / 32bit for PCM format. In addition, it is an excellent method for efficiently producing good sound, so it is a portable function that saves power and contributes to space saving.

In addition, while maintaining the basic high-quality sound of the ZX300 without changing the basic mechanism, the sound quality is further enhanced by making the peripheral parts richer. Specifically, the same capacitor as the higher-level WM1 series was adopted, and the sound quality was further improved by strengthening the power supply. Best of all, streaming services can be enjoyed in a balanced connection through S-Master HX.
* Only when balanced connection

zx500-2_2.jpg

──Are there any advanced points regarding balance connection?
Keiyo Matsuzaki [Sound quality design]

It is a capacitor that Sekine said earlier. A capacitor developed with the DMP-Z1 high-performance digital music player is used. Electric energy is stored once in a capacitor and then discharged. However, if it is a conventional one, something like a firewood is attached to it and appears in the sound. The feature is that there are very few.

In addition, the capacity has been increased by 2.5 times compared with the conventional one, raising the bass playback capability. When the capacitor itself becomes larger, not only the bass but also the transparency of the whole range improves. Is it okay with the sharpness of the sound? The manufacturer's commitment to make the sound even better. Anyway, I listen to the sound with the human ear many times and tune it while changing the parts, material, dimensions, etc. While making trials and errors such as “Let's widen the electrode width” and “Let's wind it a little harder”, we make a number of samples by adjusting in 0.1mm increments.

zx500-2_3.jpg

──What effect does DSEE HX improve sound quality?
Mitsuken Tanaka [Product Planning]

DSEE HX upscales CD and compressed sound sources to high resolution sound sources equivalent to high resolution. It has been highly evaluated since before. Simply put, it is a technology that attempts to predict and restore high-frequency sounds and fine sounds that have been cut to reduce sound source data from the remaining audio information. This has evolved further since 2018 by incorporating AI (artificial intelligence) technology.

Prior to that, the ZX300 DSEE HX, which was developed before that, had a user select the type of music, and it was effective. However, now it is possible to automatically perform optimal upscaling while analyzing the content of the song in real time using AI technology, eliminating the need for the user to make a selection. The ZX500 uses this new DSEE HX.

In addition, the sound processing technology called “binary processor” adopted from NW-A50 (hereinafter “A50”) series and DMP-Z1 released in 2018 is also installed. It reproduces the acoustic phenomena peculiar to analog records, enabling the improvement of the initial sensitivity characteristics of the vibration system and the reproduction of rich sounds that reproduce spatial feedback even when listening to digital sound sources with headphones * .
* Only when wired connection

Unboxing Video:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #702 of 8,639
Nov 26, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #703 of 8,639
I wonder if there will be a NM-WM2A/Z next year which uses the same android ui as in NW-ZX500 and NW-A100 but with flagship specs and material? as there is a price increase from preducessor, presume, NM-WM2A will be the region of US$1200 and NM-WM2Z will be in region of US$3500

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #704 of 8,639
I wonder if there will be a NM-WM2A/Z next year which uses the same android ui as in NW-ZX500 and NW-A100 but with flagship specs and material? as there is a price increase from preducessor, presume, NM-WM2A will be the region of US$1200 and NM-WM2Z will be in region of US$3500

I had a brief chat with Walkman project manager Sato-san (not the sound engineer Sato-san) and he said they are now getting mixed messages regarding whether people want a TOTL Android DAP because originally people firmly didn't want Android for the ZX1/ZX2 and that's why they made the WM1 series based on a custom OS, and now there are still a large portion of purists who prefers a custom OS instead of Android. However since streaming is now slowly but surely catching on which is one of the reason why they made the ZX500 to gauge market performance and collecting feedbacks of a high priced Android DAP designed with streaming in mind before moving.

I have no doubt Sony already have a working Android version of the WM1 series made internally, whether they will release it would probably be decided by how well the ZX500 sells as well as how many people actually use it for streaming.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #705 of 8,639
I had a brief chat with Walkman project manager Sato-san (not the sound engineer Sato-san) and he said they are now getting mixed messages regarding whether people want a TOTL Android DAP because originally people firmly didn't want Android for the ZX1/ZX2 and that's why they made the WM1 series based on a custom OS, and now there are still a large portion of purists who prefers a custom OS instead of Android. However since streaming is now slowly but surely catching on which is one of the reason why they made the ZX500 to gauge market performance and collecting feedbacks of a high priced Android DAP designed with streaming in mind before moving.

I have no doubt Sony already have a working Android version of the WM1 series made internally, whether they will release it would probably be decided by how well the ZX500 sells as well as how many people actually use it for streaming.

Just a pity they didn't seem to realise that audio purists are not happy with having the Streamed music limited to 24/48. It does sound great still but if Hiby can bypass Android audio then Sony should be able to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back