SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 27, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #706 of 8,639
Just a pity they didn't seem to realise that audio purists are not happy with having the Streamed music limited to 24/48. It does sound great still but if Hiby can bypass Android audio then Sony should be able to.

Quick reading seems that the situation is more complicated than meets the eyes on the surface.

From Android 8 onwards should already have the new AAudio API build in which allows streaming apps to play at the native resolution and bypass the downsampling, but it's up to the apps to support it. Currently it seems that many streaming apps including Amazon Music HD don't support this API, and it's not Sony's place to promise this support as they would not know when the 3rd party app will build in the support for it. And when you know that the API is already in Android, baking your own version of Android to circumvent the downsampling on a low level would most probably affect future update rollouts which is not a desirable position to be in. So I guess they can only play it safe and say the obvious - which is apps outside of the native Walkman app down converts to 24/48 and just wait out the situation to improve by market forces.

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #708 of 8,639
Quick reading seems that the situation is more complicated than meets the eyes on the surface.

From Android 8 onwards should already have the new AAudio API build in which allows streaming apps to play at the native resolution and bypass the downsampling, but it's up to the apps to support it. Currently it seems that many streaming apps including Amazon Music HD don't support this API, and it's not Sony's place to promise this support as they would not know when the 3rd party app will build in the support for it. And when you know that the API is already in Android, baking your own version of Android to circumvent the downsampling on a low level would most probably affect future update rollouts which is not a desirable position to be in. So I guess they can only play it safe and say the obvious - which is apps outside of the native Walkman app down converts to 24/48 and just wait out the situation to improve by market forces.

Thanks, I have blamed Sony for this issue...

I will order anyway the ZX507! :)

Nov 27, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #709 of 8,639
I'm using UAPP Tidal integration to bypass the downsampling but wondering if the "direct" mode is actually working (it appears to). Perhaps someone more savvy can chime in and verify?

I'd imagine it works the same as A105 and already been in discussions with Davy at UAPP to get it working native but for now UAPP is also at 24/48.

Davy Wentzler <info@extreamsd.com>
Wed, 13 Nov, 11:52
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Not for now at least. I'll have a go at it once I have time, but that
will be next year. Can you do a dumpsys with Tidal playing please? It
wasn't exactly clear from the logcat what it does.

Kind regards,

Davy Wentzler
eXtream Software Development
https://www.extreamsd.com

On 13/11/2019 12:44, Andrew wrote:
> So its not something you can get to work with UAPP then?
>
> From the 3 dumps I sent what is the Tidal App showing? DO you know from
> what's shown what that is doing with the MQA audio?
>
> The Amazon HD app clear seeing the Android 48kHz as the DAC maximum
>
> Appreciate your time looking

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #712 of 8,639
Hong Kong has already started to take pre order price at HKD 5990 and comes with the 40 anniversary booklet, does anyone know what the booklet it is.

It's a shame, the ZX507 and the M9 combo is a bargain, but I want a Japanese version unit.

I'm not sure if it's been posted, but I see people asking about the ZX505, its basically the ZX507, but with 16GB memory, could be a china only model, as both the ZX507 and ZX505 are available in China now.

20191127_155831.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #713 of 8,639
Okay, which one do you recommend for IEMs (fiio fh7)?

Thanks!

None, even thought the ZX507 (and A105) for streaming are stuck at 24/48 or 24/44.1 (not sure on Tidal MQA) A105 still sounds excellent anyway and to my ears better than the Hiby R5 doing streaming bit-perfect.

A didn't need balanced and only driving undemanding SE846's (8 Ohm) so went for a Japanese import of a NW-A105 (we believe EU one is volume capped so ZX507 likely same).

The A105 sounds stunning so I'd assume the ZX507 same or even better (but more power & balanced). Last time heard music this good with my SE846's was out of a Chord Mojo.

A Japanese A105 drives my old 50 Ohm Klipsch X10i fine so your 16 Ohm FH7 should be fine out of A105 or ZX507.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #715 of 8,639
I'd imagine it works the same as A105 and already been in discussions with Davy at UAPP to get it working native but for now UAPP is also at 24/48.

Davy Wentzler <info@extreamsd.com>
Wed, 13 Nov, 11:52
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Not for now at least. I'll have a go at it once I have time, but that
will be next year. Can you do a dumpsys with Tidal playing please? It
wasn't exactly clear from the logcat what it does.

Kind regards,

Davy Wentzler
eXtream Software Development
https://www.extreamsd.com

On 13/11/2019 12:44, Andrew wrote:
> So its not something you can get to work with UAPP then?
>
> From the 3 dumps I sent what is the Tidal App showing? DO you know from
> what's shown what that is doing with the MQA audio?
>
> The Amazon HD app clear seeing the Android 48kHz as the DAC maximum
>
> Appreciate your time looking

thanks, keep us updated if you'd like :)

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #716 of 8,639
I am using my wm1z 100% in bluetooth dac mode so I can stream spotify....

Wm1z soind is so amazing that even in ldac it sounds extreamly good!

I did a/b test dsd, flacs, and some high res files vs spotify in ldac stream to wm1z and the audio files on wm1z and I barely could tell a difference!
To me they bothe sounded amazingly good, of course there was a slight better sq on wm1z local files. Seriously it was so small that if you listen music and enjoy it, youl quickly forget all that 5% degradation....

Lately I tried cayin n6ii vs wm1z.
While I really like it and was a fun well built dap and all android.
I found that android is still underperforming and diminishing user experience.

While sony is custom, it was much quicker and way more reliable has better options and features.
I love sony eq it works on a global scale.

So if they make wm1z ( 2 ) they better find a way how keep all the goodness of the custom os and maybe add spotify app or even make a custom app that also supports offline download!

Android is good but it sucks !
And sony custom os is really intuitive and easy to use I love, something hard to let go when switching daps.

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #717 of 8,639
Does anyone know what CPU it has, and how much RAM.

Nov 27, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #718 of 8,639
Will there be any way to use this as a DAC - If I read correctly Sony have removed this functionality.

So, can it be put back? I really like the idea of this, but also want to hook this up to my Mac, to use with Audirvana etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back