SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #646 of 8,639
Probably yes, but we have no idea if the newer Walkman can digital out to a DAC or not. Plus digital out may not be available during streaming.
ZX-507 is out in the Japanese market. Exisiting users can chime in about the digital out feature ... Anyone ?

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #647 of 8,639
I tried the ZX507 today. And now it's being ordered, partly because of the cashback campaign going on. He he. :) Although at first I planned on purchasing the new DX160, but while I was demoing aside with WM1A I found that the vocals weren't to my liking. Preferred the WM1A more, because of its better imaging, warmth, and fuller note body. And so as I was looking to buy the 1A, I found the ZX507. Cost approx as much as a used 1A new, but to my ears sounded nicer. I prioritize vocals because of my playlist, and the ZX507 sounded to me livelier, sweet, and clearer than the 1A which has this heftier note size. The ZX507's UI is also pretty swift, responsive, and it is operable like an Android phone. Plus another advantage is that it has Spotify, and Chrome.

As for the sound, I listened to it directly with IEM on the 4.4mm balanced. The rendering of each instrument sound was very clean and high-resolution. The vocals are truly life-like, and clear. Very centered, not too dense. You can also choose using the high gain to give more drive and body to it. The soundstage has also a large enough size, and is spacious to show, layer and separate each instrument well. Not as huge as the 1Z, but it felt more airy than the 1A. Note size seems to be lighter, more densely concentrated and defined. It can handle multiple instruments well, without turning congested. Although not as good as the 1Z, somehow it sounds for me more lovely when listening to acoustic and sweet solo vocals. For orchestra perhaps the 1Z/1A may perform better than the ZX507. But for pop, and especially female vocals I liked the ZX507 better. Partly because it sounded more natural. Like as if you're closeby, more intimate (in proximity, not warmer). The treble extends excellently well. Tight bass, with the right amount of speed, control, and power.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #648 of 8,639
Could anyone compare ZX507 and A&K SR15?

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #650 of 8,639
Has any had the opportunity to compare the 507 with the nw zx2, sq wise.
thanks

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #651 of 8,639
Probably yes, but we have no idea if the newer Walkman can digital out to a DAC or not. Plus digital out may not be available during streaming.

Yes, you can Digital out and no, not during streaming
But the USB-C placement on the ZX500 is not super convenient to stack with a DAC

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #652 of 8,639
Yes, you can Digital out and no, not during streaming
But the USB-C placement on the ZX500 is not super convenient to stack with a DAC
Shame we can't utilize digital out while streaming. But, I assume that if your songs from Tidal/Spotify/Amazon is saved on your device, and you are using the device offline, digital out will work then?

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #653 of 8,639
Could anyone compare ZX507 and A&K SR15?
Because I tried the SR15 norma too last time, here is my attempt. First of all the UI is laggy/less responsive on the SR15, and the battery shorter (10 vs 20 hrs). Balanced output 2.5 vs 4.4mm. Volume needs to be adjusted higher on the SR15 for the same loudness (70 vs 45), which means lower driving power. As for the sound, I feel both are equally beautiful. But the treble is more extended on the ZX507, which gives a higher resolution and airier spacious feel. Separation of each note, and layering of instruments is also slightly better with the ZX507. Both have a sweet vocal sound which I like. The SR15 warmer and more sweet and intimate, while the ZX507 is a bit cooler, and focuses more on positioning and clear rendering of its image. For multiple instruments, the ZX507 performs better than the SR15 partly because of its separation distance between each. The SR15 couldn't pinpoint the instruments on the stage as well as the ZX507, and has a slightly more forward vocals. The bass sounds tighter/denser quicker on the ZX507, and the SR15 slightly bigger/larger in imaging. A bit less defined to my ears, but for enjoying bass tracks it's pretty good.

Nov 24, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #654 of 8,639
Because I tried the SR15 norma too last time, here is my attempt. First of all the UI is laggy/less responsive on the SR15, and the battery shorter (10 vs 20 hrs). Balanced output 2.5 vs 4.4mm. Volume needs to be adjusted higher on the SR15 for the same loudness (70 vs 45), which means lower driving power. As for the sound, I feel both are equally beautiful. But the treble is more extended on the ZX507, which gives a higher resolution and airier spacious feel. Separation of each note, and layering of instruments is also slightly better with the ZX507. Both have a sweet vocal sound which I like. The SR15 warmer and more sweet and intimate, while the ZX507 is a bit cooler, and focuses more on positioning and clear rendering of its image. For multiple instruments, the ZX507 performs better than the SR15 partly because of its separation distance between each. The SR15 couldn't pinpoint the instruments on the stage as well as the ZX507, and has a slightly more forward vocals. The bass sounds tighter/denser quicker on the ZX507, and the SR15 slightly bigger/larger in imaging. A bit less defined to my ears, but for enjoying bass tracks it's pretty good.

i was just thinking of replacing the AK70 MKII with a ZX507. sounds promising after reading this.

Nov 24, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #655 of 8,639

Thanks a lot for this post! Actually just today I also had the chance to listen to both of them! And I would definitely underline your impressions! ZX507 sounds slightly cleaner while SR15 slightly more expressive to my ears, too! By the way, I think this is also represented by their designs: The SR15 design provokes more emotions and I love the super small footprint! On the other hand, the Sony seems more flexible and functional because of full Android support and the system wide EQ, which works great! Also, the screen and the OS`"snappiness" of the Sony is way better! I think rationally I would/should go for it, too.

Well.....if I was not still happy with my XDSD. To be honest, even on Bluetooth I could not find huge differences in sound quality compared to the two wired DAPs. They all sound slightly different, but it is hard to determine "better" or "worse".

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #657 of 8,639
ZX2 and 300 owner here. Just pulled the trigger on the 507 to replace the ZX2 (my “on-the-road” DAP).

BTW, the 507 online User Manual (UK Sony site) mentions a NW-ZX505 @ 16GB.
Oh wow, that's interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder their differences. The 507 is already minimalistic the way it is, if the 505 would reduce an aspect of it what would it be? This is another reason why I like the Sony, and the way they design. Their pricing, and the value and intrinsic value you get. The build quality on the 507 (I got mine today by the way, now it's charging. Silver) is superb, and from my experience owning the WM1A and AK70 the battery is apparently more durable with the Sony. Both durable in operation, and in the long run/usage. A great player nevermind if you're a collector or someone who is looking to own only one DAP. The Walkman UI has also this timeless design to it as well, which I like. Checks almost all the boxes for me; small, lightweight, good-sounding (though not the best), 4.4 BAL output, good driving power, not bassy, extended treble, excellent details, what else.. streaming, durability, responsive functionality, not childish design, and as an extra, a cool cassette screensaver :)

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #658 of 8,639
Oh wow, that's interesting. Thanks for sharing. I wonder their differences. The 507 is already minimalistic the way it is, if the 505 would reduce an aspect of it what would it be? This is another reason why I like the Sony, and the way they design. Their pricing, and the value and intrinsic value you get. The build quality on the 507 (I got mine today by the way, now it's charging. Silver) is superb, and from my experience owning the WM1A and AK70 the battery is apparently more durable with the Sony. Both durable in operation, and in the long run/usage. A great player nevermind if you're a collector or someone who is looking to own only one DAP. The Walkman UI has also this timeless design to it as well, which I like. Checks almost all the boxes for me; small, lightweight, good-sounding (though not the best), 4.4 BAL output, good driving power, not bassy, extended treble, excellent details, what else.. streaming, durability, responsive functionality, not childish design, and as an extra, a cool cassette screensaver :)

Was just wondering: Does the screensaver also work with streaming apps? I mean, it the cassette with song title and artist also been shown if you play Spotify, for example?

And another question: There is no bluetooth receiver option like the ZX300, right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back