SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #6,331 of 8,639
Yes was looking at that. definitely an option - do you think it would be a good upgrade on the 1A? I would assume so anyway at about double the price. Off to watch some reviews! Cheers.

You may wish to give the below a try. They sound glorious with the ZX507. I have them fitted w Ether C pads. Cheaper than the Z7M2 and they retired my HD600s

297F43C8-2D37-4149-8A85-B0DCC3C926F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #6,332 of 8,639
You may wish to give the below a try. They sound glorious with the ZX507. I have them fitted w Ether C pads. Cheaper than the Z7M2 and they retired my HD600s

297F43C8-2D37-4149-8A85-B0DCC3C926F6.jpeg

They look very nice, can't seem to find anywhere though. Are they a current model?

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #6,333 of 8,639
Dec 25, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #6,334 of 8,639
I now have my ZX507 and N3, loving so far and lots of testing to do.

Problem however with my 1TB card - it appears to load on the ZX507 but when I choose a track, it plays and then crashes the device - I had to restart twice. I did format the card in my ZX300 and I've filled it on my laptop to about 50% capacity. It won't register at all on the ZX300. Any thoughts as to whether a potential fault in the card? - I figured not as I can transfer etc no problem on my Mac. Its not the 507 as I then put in a 512gb card and that works fine.

20201225_121706.jpg

Dec 25, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #6,335 of 8,639
I now have my ZX507 and N3, loving so far and lots of testing to do.

Problem however with my 1TB card - it appears to load on the ZX507 but when I choose a track, it plays and then crashes the device - I had to restart twice. I did format the card in my ZX300 and I've filled it on my laptop to about 50% capacity. It won't register at all on the ZX300. Any thoughts as to whether a potential fault in the card? - I figured not as I can transfer etc no problem on my Mac. Its not the 507 as I then put in a 512gb card and that works fine.

From the symptoms, it is possible the card is fake. I had experience with a card that was not the capacity stated on the card. The fake cards alter the TOC/file information so that it shows a high capacity, but the card is actually a much lower capacity. Plugged into a PC, the PC sees it as the fake capacity. A format also. Everything looks normal, except that the actual card size if being reported falsely. Copy files onto it, and it will look like it is doing the copying up to the capacity, but it will end up with most of the files being unusable.

The test software (H2Testw) mentioned in the following article can test a card for capacity.

Or copy files (photos, etc.) in 200GB chunks, and check that the files can be read after each copy. Sample the previous files copied, and the current files copied.

https://photographylife.com/fake-memory-cards

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #6,336 of 8,639
From the symptoms, it is possible the card is fake. I had experience with a card that was not the capacity stated on the card. The fake cards alter the TOC/file information so that it shows a high capacity, but the card is actually a much lower capacity. Plugged into a PC, the PC sees it as the fake capacity. A format also. Everything looks normal, except that the actual card size if being reported falsely. Copy files onto it, and it will look like it is doing the copying up to the capacity, but it will end up with most of the files being unusable.

The test software (H2Testw) mentioned in the following article can test a card for capacity.

Or copy files (photos, etc.) in 200GB chunks, and check that the files can be read after each copy. Sample the previous files copied, and the current files copied.

https://photographylife.com/fake-memory-cards

Thank you. I did consider if it might be fake but its Sandisk and bought direct from Amazon, not a 3rd party seller. I guess still possible though. I've initiated a return for refund anyway, thankfully an easy process with Amazon.

Dec 25, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #6,337 of 8,639
Thank you. I did consider if it might be fake but its Sandisk and bought direct from Amazon, not a 3rd party seller. I guess still possible though. I've initiated a return for refund anyway, thankfully an easy process with Amazon.
Well, definitely treat it as a defective card.
A quick search online has many examples of cards bought directly from Amazon being fake. Could be because the inventory from fake and real stock is comingled, so Amazon is not intentionally doing this, but their stock has fakes mixed in with the good stock. This is one possibility people have mentioned. There may be other reasons also, that we are not aware of.
Unfortunately, it seems that even buying directly from Amazon is not a guarantee. But if refunds/replacements are simple, and honored, then that is some reassurance. Though obviously the preference is not to run into this situation in the first place.

Dec 25, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #6,338 of 8,639
Well, definitely treat it as a defective card.
A quick search online has many examples of cards bought directly from Amazon being fake. Could be because the inventory from fake and real stock is comingled, so Amazon is not intentionally doing this, but their stock has fakes mixed in with the good stock. This is one possibility people have mentioned. There may be other reasons also, that we are not aware of.
Unfortunately, it seems that even buying directly from Amazon is not a guarantee. But if refunds/replacements are simple, and honored, then that is some reassurance. Though obviously the preference is not to run into this situation in the first place.

No definitely would prefer not to have had the situation, a few hours spent transferring over 500gb to the card! I'll stick with my 512gb for the moment I guess and try again another time with 1tb. If fake and not defective, incredible how authentic looking it is.

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #6,339 of 8,639
Running iMac with high Sierra 10.13.6.. connecting 507 for first time... error from android file transfer stating could not connect device. Can obviously transfer via sd card, but curious why I’m having issues. I have reset Walkman, etc. thoughts?

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #6,340 of 8,639
Running iMac with high Sierra 10.13.6.. connecting 507 for first time... error from android file transfer stating could not connect device. Can obviously transfer via sd card, but curious why I’m having issues. I have reset Walkman, etc. thoughts?

From the manual:
NW-ZX505/ZX507
Transferring content using Mac computer
To transfer music content stored on a Mac computer to the player, you need to install additional software. An example of
additional software is Android File Transfer (Google LLC).

The following are instructions for using Android File Transfer.

1. Install Android File Transfer
Access the following URL to download files. Then, follow the instructions on the webpage to install the software.
https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

2. Connect the player to the computer via USB.

3. Confirm the [Use USB for] menu on the player. Select [File Transfer], and tap [OK].

If the [Use USB for] menu does not appear, you can access the menu from the Settings app.
Swipe the Home screen upwards.
Tap the menu items in the following order.
[Settings] - [Connected devices] - [USB].

4. Transfer the desired files.
On a Mac computer, select the desired files or folders with Finder ( ). Drag-and-drop the files or folders to the
[Music] folder of the player ( ).

Note:
You can transfer music content to the player with Android File Transfer. However, Sony does not guarantee all functions.
Android File Transfer may become unavailable due to future updates of the macOS or Android File Transfer.
Related Topic
Install Android File Transfer.
Access the following URL to download files. Then, follow the instructions on the webpage to install the software.
https://www.android.com/filetransfer/
The contents of the Help Guide may be subject to change without notice due to updates to the product's specifications.
I have no first hand experience, as do not use an Apple PC, but it looks like you may need to install additional software, like "android File Transfer", according to this article.
https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/support/articles/00234112

However, this article says you can drag and drop without needing anything else
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00044842

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #6,342 of 8,639
Dec 25, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #6,344 of 8,639
Dec 25, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #6,345 of 8,639
Installed android file transfer on Mac and no luck.

I have a Mac and new zx507, I'll be trying to transfer at some point over the weekend, will let you know if works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back