SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 25, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #6,348 of 8,639
Yeah, late to the party, but I'm a Mac user as well, and when you first plug the ZX507 into the Mac's USB port, Android File Transfer (AFT) will pop up with a message (can't recall exact wording, but sure, call it an error if you wish). You need to close out of AFT, and on the ZX507, there shoud be a dialogue box asking if you want to connect only to charge or for file transfer. You need to select the second one (file transfer), click "O.K." and AFT will open up again, thsi time it will show the root of the ZX507 internal driver. Use the tabs at the top to navigate. I used to have screenshots of all this to show a friend,but I deleted them a couple months ago.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #6,350 of 8,639
Dec 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #6,351 of 8,639
Loving my new ZX507 - too early to compare to ZX300 but two initial gripes are battery life and the flimsy sd tray - wish they had kept the same system as the ZX300. I do love the black instead of the silver finish on the ZX300, nice change and obviously personal preference.

in terms of charging, is it possible to use any (reputable) USB C fast charger? No risk of frying or decreasing overall battery life? I have this one in mind -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VSMRZLR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_93F6Fb8RXKS7Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Oh and @Sonywalkmanuser - I found your guide to battery improvements, definitely made a difference - thank you.

One more question, I bought the Miter case which I think looks great and clearly offers protection - the Dignis case looks a step up and protects more of the top of the device by the look of it? Anyone have experience of both? Worth the extra spend for Dignis?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 28, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #6,352 of 8,639
^^^fwiw, the Dignis case has been a disappointment for me. I've had ~6 Dignis cases over the years and this is the first time I've said that. The locking switch always catches on the case when trying to remove the player, and the leather has "bunched-up", making removal a major PITA. I had to use a sharp pair of small scissors and snip away at the leather that was bunched-up. It's better now, but the leather is also thing in that spot. Shouldn't have to do this kind of crap for a case that costs $80USD.

I was interested in the Benks case ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086QVJHF...olid=1EJA6YOKZU8YM&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it ) but the dust cover tabs over the hp outs look like they might put too much pressure on IEM/hp plugs. :shrug: Maybe I'm assuming too much, but I don't want to throw more money/time at cases unless I go into confident it will work for me.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #6,353 of 8,639
^^^fwiw, the Dignis case has been a disappointment for me. I've had ~6 Dignis cases over the years and this is the first time I've said that. The locking switch always catches on the case when trying to remove the player, and the leather has "bunched-up", making removal a major PITA. I had to use a sharp pair of small scissors and snip away at the leather that was bunched-up. It's better now, but the leather is also thing in that spot. Shouldn't have to do this kind of crap for a case that costs $80USD.

I was interested in the Benks case ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086QVJHF...olid=1EJA6YOKZU8YM&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it ) but the dust cover tabs over the hp outs look like they might put too much pressure on IEM/hp plugs. :shrug: Maybe I'm assuming too much, but I don't want to throw more money/time at cases unless I go into confident it will work for me.

Thanks for that - saved me the potential spend on the Dignis! The Miter is very nice - its a snug fit but doesn't impact any of the controls in my experience. I would prefer to have the top covered though.

I had a similar case on my ZX300 to the Benks you linked to - did the job in that it protected the device but felt and looked very cheap!

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #6,354 of 8,639

The Benks case is fantastic! I too was concerned about the dustplugs but they are soft and bendable enough that they put very little pressure on the iem connectors. If it is a concern, you could always cut the tabs off.

I've tried 4 cases and the Benks is my favorite by far.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #6,356 of 8,639
Thanks for that - saved me the potential spend on the Dignis! The Miter is very nice - its a snug fit but doesn't impact any of the controls in my experience. I would prefer to have the top covered though.

I had a similar case on my ZX300 to the Benks you linked to - did the job in that it protected the device but felt and looked very cheap!

IMO the Benks case for the ZX500 is much better than the one for the ZX300. More premium and protective.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #6,357 of 8,639
IMO the Benks case for the ZX500 is much better than the one for the ZX300. More premium and protective.

Good to know, considering the price, I might just order one too. It was quite loose also on the ZX300, may not have been Benks though.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #6,358 of 8,639
I have the expensive Sony Leather case and the cheap Benks. I'm using the Benks in preference. Have a glass screen protector on too (important if using the Benks IMO).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #6,359 of 8,639
The Miter case is nice, faux leather and fits very nicely - I would like protection on the top though.

20201228_185824.jpg

20201228_185833.jpg

20201228_185726.jpg

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #6,360 of 8,639
Re: the Benks case

My IEM/hp plug is always oriented this way, and the way Benks implements they're bendable dust covers, or whatever you want to call them, makes me worry a bit about stress on the right-angle plug especially (see pic below); it would be pushing up on the plug. Yeah, sure...buy it then cut it up. Not really down with that. YMMV and all that. Ever since encountering the lock switch cutout issues with my Dignis case (noted above), I've been on the look out for a new case, but nothing has really caught my eye.

IMG_1001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back