SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 16, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #6,301 of 8,639
Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Sorry if this is already covered but am I right in thinking that a more recent firmware update allows for high res streaming? Does this mean bit perfect streaming through the tidal app? Or is this still limited?

Also, does it now enable you to use this as a USB dac that is recognised by Roon (when connected via USB cable to computer/phone)?

If either of the above is a ‘yes’ this may swing me away from getting my next Chord DAC.

Ive noticed that Final do a 4.4mm version of the excellent stock cable that comes with the A8000. So balanced cable + zx507 may be the way I go and this will still be considering less expensive than a Hugo 2

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #6,302 of 8,639
Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Sorry if this is already covered but am I right in thinking that a more recent firmware update allows for high res streaming? Does this mean bit perfect streaming through the tidal app? Or is this still limited?

Also, does it now enable you to use this as a USB dac that is recognised by Roon (when connected via USB cable to computer/phone)?

If either of the above is a ‘yes’ this may swing me away from getting my next Chord DAC.

Ive noticed that Final do a 4.4mm version of the excellent stock cable that comes with the A8000. So balanced cable + zx507 may be the way I go and this will still be considering less expensive than a Hugo 2

Hi-Res streaming just upsamples everything to 32 bit/192 kHz and there is no USB DAC function.

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #6,303 of 8,639
Hi-Res streaming just upsamples everything to 32 bit/192 kHz and there is no USB DAC function.

Thanks, I understand. Is there a consensus that this Hi-Res up sample feature makes a noticeable difference to streaming from Tidal? (Is it any good?)

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #6,304 of 8,639
I agree however it is a special type of sound and clearly it's doing a lot under the hood. I think one has to be comfortable knowing that Sony is putting their own spin on the sound and presentation as it's not like other DAPs. The spaciousness and 3D like effect is uncanny.

Sony certainly has alot of 3D audio technology. Example is their PS5 tempest audio engine. I think it is likely that the walkman division shares audio R&D technology with their gaming division as well, Sony in the recent times seems to have more cohesion within their departments(Xperia 1 sharing DSLR, walkman technologies)

5min 10sec of video, future maybe will allow sending 3D model of your head to Sony to simulate a even better HRTF model for you. Xperia 1 smartphone is capable of 3D model scanning.

Skip to 40min of video for full PS5 audio technology

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #6,305 of 8,639
Is the Android resampling bypass app specific or works for any streaming app? I use Tidal and KKBOX.

Dec 17, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #6,308 of 8,639
Thanks, I understand. Is there a consensus that this Hi-Res up sample feature makes a noticeable difference to streaming from Tidal? (Is it any good?)
Definitely sounds better than when just at 16/48 WITH HI-RES streaming off. May not be bit-perfect, but sounds better then most portable DACs I had playing bit-perfect attached to an iphone

Dec 17, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #6,309 of 8,639
The manual states this:
  • The [High-Res streaming] function does not support all online music service apps.
But no info on which one are or are not supported. Not too sure how to check it out either.

Amazon HD reports as 24/192 with High-Res on. Tidal and Qobuz are unknown, as is MQA. I really wish Sony was more clear on supported apps.

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #6,312 of 8,639
Cable arrived today and completes my 2020 Christmas present to myself, only 8 more sleeps!

20201217_155115.jpg

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #6,314 of 8,639
What’s the best file format to rip all my cds into? Is .wav king or should I go for FLAC and can anyone use DSD512? Or am I missing the best one to rip into?

Also another question, when should I plug my Walkman back in to charge and when should I unplug it to extend battery life the longest?

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #6,315 of 8,639
What’s the best file format to rip all my cds into? Is .wav king or should I go for FLAC and can anyone use DSD512? Or am I missing the best one to rip into?

Also another question, when should I plug my Walkman back in to charge and when should I unplug it to extend battery life the longest?
Rip to FLAC. If you want to use FLAC for playback on your DAP, that's cool. Or, you can convert to a lossy format to save space. DSD would only be useful if you have SACD or have downloaded DSD; there's zero reason to use DSD for content ripped from good ole audio CDs.

Don't let the battery drain and, if you really want to increase the longevity of the battery (lifespan), don't charge to 100%.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back