SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 5, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #46 of 8,639
I watched the hype vid for this DAP and I didn’t see Sony marketing anything like DTA like Hiby has, not that I’m a big fan of Hiby either, as they have their ongoing issues. Sony may work with Tidal and the streaming app companies, but will they do anything with app developers from Neutron etc.. That remains to be seen.

I don't think this is accurate.
Otherwise, how could it support MQA files/streaming?

Like I said above we’ll see what Sony does, but I didn’t see them mention one thing specifically regarding what tech they will use to bypass android down sampling to 44k 16bit, or plans to work with app devs to arrange hi res file support. You can just assume that will happen, but I don’t plan to.

This is way past now, most android DAPs can support higher rates, R6 Pro had it, DX220 has it and FiiO as well has implemented this... MQA support should indeed make this a thing of the past...

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #48 of 8,639
And why is this thing 900$? Like.. why??? It better sound better than the Hiby R5/R6, cause both of those DAPs do everything this one does. And from my memory the R6 sounded better than the ZX300, it's just the R6 wasn't reliable. I still wasn't willing to pay for the 64 GB version of the ZX300 and instead got the 16 GB version.

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #49 of 8,639
Wow, the Zx500 look good ! Super compact and 200mW per channel high gain is nice! Android with about 20 hours ? Woaa

Yeaaa but I have the 1z and ier-z1r seems to whant more power even the 500mw at 4.4 balanced isnt enough (

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #51 of 8,639
I watched the hype vid for this DAP and I didn’t see Sony marketing anything like DTA like Hiby has, not that I’m a big fan of Hiby either, as they have their ongoing issues. Sony may work with Tidal and the streaming app companies, but will they do anything with app developers from Neutron etc.. That remains to be seen.

Like I said above we’ll see what Sony does, but I didn’t see them mention one thing specifically regarding what tech they will use to bypass android down sampling to 44k 16bit, or plans to work with app devs to arrange hi res file support. You can just assume that will happen, but I don’t plan to.

Unless they implement a great PEQ or provide DTA for Neutron then it will be no from me.

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #53 of 8,639
Yeaaa but I have the 1z and ier-z1r seems to whant more power even the 500mw at 4.4 balanced isnt enough (

Have you tried plugging your headphones straight into the mains for the ultimate power rush :ksc75smile::L3000:

electric-shock.jpg

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #54 of 8,639
Sep 5, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #55 of 8,639
Have you tried plugging your headphones straight into the mains for the ultimate power rush :ksc75smile::L3000:

I need probably 650mw at least to be happy.

Those ier-z1r demands a lot of juice!

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #56 of 8,639
Love the hissy fit meme. That made me roar with laughter :L3000:

I guess I let myself have too high hopes for this player. I've been doing a big survey of all the DAPs out there and have a big spreadsheet of specs and thoughts to prove it. I have found every single one wanting in some way, most in major ways. If my M0 packed up/fell down a drain hole tomorrow, what would I buy now. The answer is another M0 because none of the rest do enough to justify their prices. The majority fail on battery life. The M0 can last 15 hours so it will likely last for many years before it can no longer get me through a day and when it can't, it's only £100 to replace - and it sounds great too.

This isn't the place to go into the pros and cons of all the others, but I guess I was hoping the ZX500 would be a ZX300 with the warts removed. The sound needed improving to keep it competitive and of course the WM Port had to go. The battery life was OK on single ended but really needed improving running balanced. Does anyone pay these kinds of prices for a balanced DAP and then use it single-ended? Seems like a huge waste to me so of course I would want to use it balanced and then the battery life of ZX300 sucks just like all the rest.

My disappointment with ZX500 began at the word 'Android' and deepened from there. A few nice details have emerged about the audio parts so sound quality might be very good but the battery life is decidedly borderline at 15 hours for this lofty price. One must also note that turning on DSEE and the PhaseLineariser thingy also take a further mighty slurp at the battery (at least they do in WM1A).

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #58 of 8,639
I dont like sonys software asded features . They create artifacts and distortion (
It depends, the DSEE-HX is an algorithms, which is programmable, and Sony have been improving it over the years :). I do hear big improvements on DMP though VS the last time I heard DSEE

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #59 of 8,639
I wonder what CPU and how much ram used, it won't be nice once it update to future Android 11 and sluggish as hell even with minimal apps.

Presumably the flagship nw-wm1a/z will be updated next year to Android based, more ram, USB type c, streaming etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back