SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #16 of 8,639
Sep 5, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #18 of 8,639
Very expensive vs current entry level fiio etc

Well it should sound better than the FiiO M11. I tried the M11 side by side to my ZX300 and preferred the ZX300. This was with my JH13Pro FP however.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #20 of 8,639
Sep 5, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #24 of 8,639
Ok reading some reports shows that there is some interesting changes for the ZX500.

Supposedly the ZX500 is a full copper chassis player, I guess that explains the much higher price tag it is asking. Also they doubled the number of POS-cap as well as the capacity of the POS-cap in the amp stage compared to the ZX300 for cleaner and more stable power delivery.

The numbering makes one think of a slightly improved ZX300, but the internal improvements might be closer to a shrunken down WM1Z? That sounds a bit more interesting now.

EDIT: Link to Phileweb reporting
https://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201909/05/48318.html

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #26 of 8,639
Ok reading some reports shows that there is some interesting changes for the ZX500.

Supposedly the ZX500 is a full copper chassis player, I guess that explains the much higher price tag it is asking. Also they doubled the number of POS-cap as well as the capacity of the POS-cap in the amp stage compared to the ZX300 for cleaner and more stable power delivery.

The numbering makes one think of a slightly improved ZX300, but the internal improvements might be closer to a shrunken down WM1Z? That sounds a bit more interesting now.
Not exactly :
OFC milled block
Inside the Walkman’s compact body, components are mounted on a milled block crafted from Oxygen Free Copper (OFC). Thanks to its larger dimensions, compared to previous models, the block results in reduced resistance and improves electrical grounding for the digital section,
Aluminium milled frame
A rigid aluminium milled frame provides strong resistance to electrical noise, helping the NW-ZX500 to deliver clear, powerful bass notes.
Advanced solder containing gold
POSCAP for enhanced low-range performance
POSCAP2 within the NW-ZX500 are used to strengthen the power supply of the amp block for unbalanced output, enhancing low-range reproduction performance for a more expansive listening experience.
Crystal oscillator

Two compact low-phase-noise crystal oscillators ensure precision clock stability at sampling rate multiples of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz. With the dual crystal oscillators, the NW-ZX500 is able to achieve audio quality with a good signal-noise ratio.
Newly developed FT CAP
Custom-made for Sony and tuned by Sony engineers, the newly developed FT CAP (high polymer capacitor) strengthens the power supply to the amp block for a balanced output. This helps the NW-ZX500 deliver expansive vocals and instrumentation, plus powerful bass notes.
The exceptional conductivity of gold ensures absolute minimum signal loss. For clearer sound and vocals, a premium, audio-grade lead-free solder with a small amount of gold connects the circuit of the NW-ZX500 to the battery.
Electric double-layer capacitor
An electric double-layer capacitor has been used as the main power source for delivering power from the battery. Able to instantaneously supply large volumes of power, it can accurately output signals by preventing sudden falls in voltage. The result is clear, powerful bass.
Film capacitors
High quality film capacitors deliver voltage with a linear response across frequencies, resulting in reduced distortion and noise.
Optimised circuit board layout
By dividing the Audio block (highlighted in red) and the Power/Digital block (in blue), the circuit board layout has been optimised to ensure sound quality is unaffected by digital noise.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #27 of 8,639
I’m mildly excited for this one. Hope it’s not bright sounding

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #28 of 8,639
Not exactly :
OFC milled block
Inside the Walkman’s compact body, components are mounted on a milled block crafted from Oxygen Free Copper (OFC). Thanks to its larger dimensions, compared to previous models, the block results in reduced resistance and improves electrical grounding for the digital section,
Aluminium milled frame
A rigid aluminium milled frame provides strong resistance to electrical noise, helping the NW-ZX500 to deliver clear, powerful bass notes.
Advanced solder containing gold
POSCAP for enhanced low-range performance
POSCAP2 within the NW-ZX500 are used to strengthen the power supply of the amp block for unbalanced output, enhancing low-range reproduction performance for a more expansive listening experience.
Crystal oscillator

Two compact low-phase-noise crystal oscillators ensure precision clock stability at sampling rate multiples of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz. With the dual crystal oscillators, the NW-ZX500 is able to achieve audio quality with a good signal-noise ratio.
Newly developed FT CAP
Custom-made for Sony and tuned by Sony engineers, the newly developed FT CAP (high polymer capacitor) strengthens the power supply to the amp block for a balanced output. This helps the NW-ZX500 deliver expansive vocals and instrumentation, plus powerful bass notes.
The exceptional conductivity of gold ensures absolute minimum signal loss. For clearer sound and vocals, a premium, audio-grade lead-free solder with a small amount of gold connects the circuit of the NW-ZX500 to the battery.
Electric double-layer capacitor
An electric double-layer capacitor has been used as the main power source for delivering power from the battery. Able to instantaneously supply large volumes of power, it can accurately output signals by preventing sudden falls in voltage. The result is clear, powerful bass.
Film capacitors
High quality film capacitors deliver voltage with a linear response across frequencies, resulting in reduced distortion and noise.
Optimised circuit board layout
By dividing the Audio block (highlighted in red) and the Power/Digital block (in blue), the circuit board layout has been optimised to ensure sound quality is unaffected by digital noise.

Previous Walkmans uses thin copper plates mounted on the outside chassis, the ZX500 seems to be taking a half-chassis inside a full chassis approach that's a middle ground of the old design. I'd like to see the blow out breakdown of the parts assembly, which Sony always do.

Looking forward to pick some info from the two Sato-san later this month at Porta-ken.....

Sep 5, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #30 of 8,639
Me too! About time! Just wonder how it holds up to the WM1A

Yeah well even if it sits between the ZX300 and WM1A it will be a good DAP but I am willing to bet it's going to be a good one.

Very expensive vs current entry level fiio etc

Yeah well, Sony DAP build is second to none and high quality components do make a difference (to me, at least...), not even mentioning battery life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back