SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 12, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #4,951 of 8,639
Imagine the price of their 64Gb audiophile ...multiply toward a total of 1Tb pricing....probably going to cost more than your Walkman LOL
I have the 128gb Sony tough sd card for my lpgt and it cost $248. Sony cats are pretty darn expensive.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #4,952 of 8,639
In my experience, High gain has more dynamic headroom, transients like cymbal clashes can go louder. It is a double edge sword. You gain more treble energy but it can also cause more treble glare for easy to drive iems.

With my ER4XRs, I usually have to run between 90-100 volume level on low gain... Balanced, 4.4 output, direct source on.

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #4,953 of 8,639
With my ER4XRs, I usually have to run between 90-100 volume level on low gain... Balanced, 4.4 output, direct source on.
Damn 90-100? You really like your music loud!

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #4,954 of 8,639
Damn 90-100? You really like your music loud!

With my other IEMs, it's usually around 60-75. I don't think it's all that loud, the Etys are pretty low sensitivity. Of course, I do have old ears... :wink:

Sep 12, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #4,955 of 8,639
Thats a risk to have permanent hearing loss over time. In your scenario it was a temporary hearing loss which is probably a normal thing for our body.

This is also related to the digital volume control on the Walkman. Although it had 120 steps of volume. What I notice is you need to push volume pass a certain threshold in order to get maximum transient sharpness. This is more critical for easy to drive iems/headphones. For my ier-M9, I need to go up to ~70/120 before I notice that cymbal clashes starts to have that feel of optimal transient sharpness.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #4,956 of 8,639
Congrats man. I hope it continues to blossom sound wise. I think the soundstage should improve considerably and layering should also be better. Not an easy work for sure. I admire those who can perform the capacitor mods. Keep us posted on the sound!

I Just finished doing the same thing but used DH-LABS OFH-20 ($12 for 2 meters on eBay) (Silver plated crystal copper wire). The stage is twice as wide, depth has improved a lot as well Transparency/Separation is amazing vs before with stock copper wire. This is just 5 minutes in. Loving what I'm hearing. I'm also loving the treble refinement.

I just did the 4 wires that come from the 4 Sony Capacitors to the 4.4 Jack. Didn't touch anything else (I don't think it's necessary.

This is with Hi-Res Streaming off...can't imagine how wide it'll sound with that turned on.

Listening to Khalid - Bluffin', can't believe how massive the sound stage is. Almost sounds Binaural now. This is worth doing fellas. Definitely time well spent.

If you're going to attempt doing this, the trick is to carefully remove the rubber cover but especially the metal plate that protects the internals without damaging your DAP.

It''s like going from a 2.1 system to a 7.1...still testing songs I know From Micheal Jackson to Yuna, Khalid... I'm like wow...that's a massive soundstage.

I think i just made my self an NW-WM2Z

It's Def worth it.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #4,957 of 8,639
Decide to revisit the lexar 633x microsd card as I really want to give it a shot to see if I will like the sound

ZX507: high gain vol@ 70/120 hi-res streaming on, DSEE HX on, DC Phase Linearizer Type A STD
IER-M9 stock balanced cable with final audio E-type tips

This card has a warmer sound signature
Bass seems dialed back, not so present in the music. It's also very one noted, lacking variation
Vocals feels soft and not well imaged in the soundstage
Audience cheering and clapping feels very blurry
Treble lacks extension and lacks refinement
There is a graininess feeling to the overall imaging
Dynamics feels constraint
The noise floor doesn't feel quiet
Soundstage feels collapsed like listening in the bathroom or something.

Frankly I am struggling to enjoy music with this lexar card. It makes my ZX507 sound like an Apple Ipod from 18years ago.

This lexar card is made in Korea and bought from Amazon.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #4,958 of 8,639
Decide to revisit the lexar 633x microsd card as I really want to give it a shot to see if I will like the sound

ZX507: high gain vol@ 70/120 hi-res streaming on, DSEE HX on, DC Phase Linearizer Type A STD

This card has a warmer sound signature
Bass seems dialed back, not so present in the music. It's also very one noted, lacking variation
Vocals feels soft and not well imaged in the soundstage
Audience cheering and clapping feels very blurry
Treble lacks extension and lacks refinement
There is a graininess feeling to the overall imaging
Dynamics feels constraint
The noise floor doesn't feel quiet
Soundstage feels collapsed like listening in the bathroom or something.

Frankly I am struggling to enjoy music with this lexar card. It makes my ZX507 sound like an Apple Ipod from 18years ago.

This lexar card is made in Korea and bought from Amazon.
😂

Sep 12, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #4,959 of 8,639
Sep 12, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #4,960 of 8,639
Now i heard it all! 🤣

It may sound ridiculous but I really have nothing against Lexar. I have been using this card for photo/video storage for my Xperia 1 and it has excellent performance and very well priced. Highly recommended for data storage.

But I think it is just not suitable for walkman audio playback.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #4,961 of 8,639
It may sound ridiculous but I really have nothing against Lexar. I have been using this card for photo/video storage for my Xperia 1 and it has excellent performance and very well priced. Highly recommended for data storage.

But I think it is just not suitable for walkman audio playback.
I read a article a few years back and even Sony admit that their premium sound sd card is wasted effort! Most high end premium dap these days store a least 1 hour of songs in the buffer in advance and make reading of sd card and the associated noise practically non issue. That's just my 2 cent. Anyways to make a claim a sd card will make your zx507 sound like a 18 year old ipod is very bold.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #4,962 of 8,639

Damn dude, that is loud! How long do you listen at that volume? I tried to listen at 60 high gain once with my M9’s and my ears were hurting after a few minutes. Usual listening volume was between 45-50 high gain

Sep 12, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #4,963 of 8,639
Damn dude, that is loud! How long do you listen at that volume? I tried to listen at 60 high gain once with my M9’s and my ears were hurting after a few minutes. Usual listening volume was between 45-50 high gain

Hehe with my noirs I am at the same as you on high gain but in low gain its 60 to 80

Ps: lately I am discovering new tastes and I am now on region E + stock 3.02 fw yes lol back to the beginning stock fw 😛😛😊

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #4,964 of 8,639

There is a change in how loudness sounds in this new firmware hi-res streaming mode. 3D sound processing places sound objects further away, thus it actually feels softer sounding than if you compared to Hi-Res streaming off.

As you increase volume past 60, it doesn't increase in treble loudness as much as compared to previous firmware. Basically 70 on this new firmware = 60 on the old firmware for ier-m9 for hi-res streaming on.

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #4,965 of 8,639
After switching back to the sandisk extreme pro, I reduced back down to volume 60, the treble is much brighter with sandisk, 70 is not listenable. Now everything is sounding in 3D and pristine like it should be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back