SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 11, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #4,921 of 8,642
I think there’s also the issue of mental awareness/listening ability.

Think of it as like driving on the road. Some Drivers are so concentrated on a specific spot of the road, they dont notice that old lady standing there by the roadside. It could also be the other way around where clearly there is a barrier ahead but yet the driver obliviously drives straight into it without noticing. Or there is another driver who is so aware of the whole road that he can spot that police officer with speed radar gun hiding behind a tree from a half mile away.

Same thing happens in audio, some pay special attention to soundstaging, some concentrate bass rhythm, some listen to singer’s words, some just don’t pay attention at all. Some can hear that tiny bit of hiss from their iems. Some can spot mispronunciations/missing lyrics from the singer. There’s so much nuances in sound/music that one can hear or miss out.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #4,923 of 8,642
Sep 12, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #4,924 of 8,642
psikey said:
If I place my ZX507 on my dick instead of in my hand it sounds a bit stiffer :relaxed:

Think its time to abandon this thead. Have fun you guys.

Seriously, this thread is laughing stock.
Yep, it's true. And if you hold the ZX507 in your hands, it is definitely stiffer. (That rigid aluminium!)
And if you place the ZX507 on your head, you get smarter, and your looks improve. (Edit: There is a greater effect if using a silver ZX507)

But seriously, this is an open forum. Read it if you enjoy it.
If you don't enjoy it, stop reading it. No need to be irritated or upset.
Unless you are looking for the elevated blood pressure to clear out your arteries....

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #4,925 of 8,642
No offence @Sonywalkmanuser but the SD card ranking did make me chuckle too :smile:

IEM rankings are so 2018 anyway :upside_down:

I think you guys got it wrong already, my microsd ranking is actually a beauty pageant contest between the microsd cards. The Extreme Pro has the nicest design, red is always better like Ferrari.:floatsmile:

Microsd cards are consumable products, they will eventually wear out or you will run out of space and will require upgrade to a bigger capacity at some point.

My subjective ranking is just a guide/reference, if you wish to make your microsd purchase based on it, it's your own choice. I got no monetary gains from the microsd card manufacturers for doing this.

Maybe microsd card affecting the sound of the walkman may seem absurd and defy logic for some of us here. I think we should consider that Sony audio engineers actually produced a premium sound microsd card back in 2015, which means internally inside Sony walkman department itself they have already reached a joint decision that microsd cards have sound quality effect on their walkman which they cannot eliminate with their walkman circuitry design/shielding.

I highly doubt that the same Sony walkman engineering department who creates some of the most highly ranked digital audio systems will put their reputation on the chopping block to release a "snake oil" product like a premium sound microsd card.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #4,926 of 8,642
Also there's one very critical bottleneck which could affect if you are able to hear the difference between microsd cards and that is your listening volume.

I am not suggesting that you should listen loudly all the time but if you wish to conduct your own comparsions between two microsd cards, I would recommend to turn up the volume to a louder than usual level for the evaluation. I find If I listen at softer volumes, the sound differences between cards is going to be much less obvious.

Another point is if you already have a good sounding microsd card, swapping to another microsd with similar good sounding properties will be harder to notice. I suggest if you want to hear more differences, compare a good sounding microsd card against a badly ranked one(if you happen to have spare/variety of microsd cards lying around in your home/work), the differences will be much obvious.

I hope this post helps those who wish to partake with this crazy ridiculous experiment.

Sep 12, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #4,927 of 8,642
Maybe you need to let it "Burn in" or perhaps the better electronics are on the more expensive card aka 400GB. Look I'm trying to justify buying the 400GB card and you're messing it up lol :smile::smile::smile:

Maybe, never thought an SD card would need burning in though :smile:. Yes I want a larger capacity and think I may stick to the Ultra card now as @Sonywalkmanuser explains above what I heard for myself. Geez what a rabbit hole, worrying about which card to get - 'they're coming to take me away haha' :smile::rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #4,928 of 8,642
@Ryokan

There's a lot of variability in the kind of gear and dsp settings each of us are using. All these will affect how you perceive the equipment you are comparing.

What works for me might not work for you.

Let's say you already have a warm sounding headphones, pairing to a warm sounding dap will end up becoming muddy sound. Same happens if you pair a bright sounding headphones to a bright sounding dap, it will end up becoming overly bright.

It's all about adjusting and finding that right synergy that you like.

If for example I find the sound to be too bright for my 1AM2, I will adjust from high gain down to low gain.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #4,929 of 8,642
Maybe you need to let it "Burn in" or perhaps the better electronics are on the more expensive card aka 400GB. Look I'm trying to justify buying the 400GB card and you're messing it up lol :smile::smile::smile:

I wouldn't worry, I've just done a test between two players, both set the same.

ry.jpg

I've switched between the 2 many times and can hear no discernible difference, worried about all the extra wear on the plugs so going to stop.
Formatted Extreme Pro on computer which took 20+ minutes and then formatted in player which takes a few seconds. Not sure why there was an obvious difference yesterday putting the card straight in the player. Both cards today sound great and I couldn't choose between them.

Sep 12, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #4,931 of 8,642
Congrats man. I hope it continues to blossom sound wise. I think the soundstage should improve considerably and layering should also be better. Not an easy work for sure. I admire those who can perform the capacitor mods. Keep us posted on the sound!
ZX507 wire mod: Going on 15 hours of burn in. SQ has improved a lot. Stage is 3D like, and solid. Bass is more solid, with strong impact. Vocals are fluid, detailed and just flowing. Vocals just sound "real". No harshness at all. This is what I was hoping/expecting, as the Silver with 1% gold seems special for vocals, that is different from how pure silver sounds.

So it's not fully settled in yet, but already at a point where I am relieved, and can answer to myself whether it was worth the cost and extra work.

Yes, definitely worth the effort.

The cost is not that much, compared to what we pay for cables. Even with ordering extra wires that I did not use, and paying for priority Fedex shipping, the cost was USD140, and I still have enough material to do 1 or 2 other DAPs.
And this will delay my urge to get a Han Sound Kimera cable, which I really wanted, after trying it out. I believe this wire mod gives greater results, and is great value for money, to make the DAP sound better with every cable/IEM that I use.

So the real cost is in the labor and the risk of making a mistake.

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #4,932 of 8,642
I wouldn't worry, I've just done a test between two players, both set the same.

ry.jpg

I've switched between the 2 many times and can hear no discernible difference, worried about all the extra wear on the plugs so going to stop.
Formatted Extreme Pro on computer which took 20+ minutes and then formatted in player which takes a few seconds. Not sure why there was an obvious difference yesterday putting the card straight in the player. Both cards today sound great and I couldn't choose between them.

Are those 2 on the same region?
Dis you buy them from same store.

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #4,935 of 8,642

Users who are viewing this thread

Back