SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #4,531 of 8,642
Loving the sound as well, soundstage and imaging have been improved as well. There's minimal difference between direct source on and off with nothing turned on in Sound adjustment (Hi-Res Streaming off). Still experimenting but so far, nothing has been ruined

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #4,532 of 8,642
Type B low seems to make the 1AM2 sound like Sony Extra Bass headphones. It's has bloomy bass but tastefully done with sweet mid-range and sparkling highs.

I don't know why but to my ears seems like there's some kind of automatic smart tone control going on. On some tracks it sounded dark lounge like while others it's more detailed and clear. So far I am enjoying this new system. Maybe the DSEE HX AI has learnt new tricks.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #4,533 of 8,642
Well, sometime next week I'll have my first headphones in almost 6 years (been strictly IEM). A friend grabbed a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 at my request. He's starting a multi-state drive on Sunday, putting him in my town early in the trek to drop them off. These come with a 4.4mm balanced cable included, so looking forward to seeing how they do with the ZX507. I've always had a thing for AT woodies; these sure are pretty:

10949526_thumb.jpg

Aug 28, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #4,534 of 8,642
I believe today I've watched an other strange battery % behevior.
when I stopped listening to music. it's shown 76%
in 40 minutes I've looked again. now it's 77% lol
in the past I watched a decreasing % even when it was plugged in charger it felt down to 0% at least for 10-15 minutes. and I believe I noticed an increase in battery% a few minutes after I unplugged 2A power bank charger. (it charged more than 50% in less than 1 hour)

BY THE WAY!
why does head-fi not show my gear? headphones, player. I've written that info in account settings.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #4,535 of 8,642
@ttt123 have you updated to the latest firmware?

If so, do try these modes on Walkman music app:

1. Hi res streaming Off, direct source On

2. Hi res streaming Off, DSEE HX On

3. Hi res streaming On, direct source On

4. Hi res streaming On, DSEE HX On

Each of these mode has its own unique sound. I can't decide which is better. I would like to know your opinion on which you like best.
Updated to the new FW, and applied your optimization settings, and tried the 4 configurations. Just a quick try, using: In The Garden-Van Morrison.

1. Hi res streaming Off, direct source On
- I still prefer this mode. There is an interplay of the different elements of the music that is present, that is lessened when DSEE HX is turned on, which seems to flatten the sound. I suspect this is more observable with acoustic music, with more natural mastering, which preserves more micro detail. With electronic or highly processed music, may not be able to tell any difference.
2. Hi res streaming Off, DSEE HX On
- Both mode 1 and 2 are musical, and I think both are better than the old FW It still feels like micro dynamics have been smoothed out, though sounds better than with the old FW. (and relying on memory, of course) Perhaps a side effect of the processing that makes the sound more forward and clear. Maybe the clarity is like the trade off in a photo, when more sharpness is applied. You gain something, at the cost of something else.
3. Hi res streaming On, direct source On
- Both mode 3 and 4 sound very similar. It seams Hi res on affects both Direct and non Direct mode. (I never tried with Hi res streaming on in the old FW)
4. Hi res streaming On, DSEE HX On
- Both mode 3 and 4 sound very similar. The difference with DSEE HX on is not that great.

So the above is my observation. For my system, and the type of music I mostly listen to, Direct is my preference. Thanks for getting me started to take a closer listen, as I had not previously done that. I did enjoy both Direct and DSEE HX modes, and had not bothered to see if one was better in some ways, and/or if I might actually prefer one over the other.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #4,536 of 8,642
It just removes them from running in system memory. You can always reEnable to gain access back to these google apps.

I think the Japanese firmware has two Japanese streaming apps included. I don't think there's any other differences.

Please do share your impressions of the new firmware.

Agreed on firmware, I switched my A105 from Japan firmware to series 0000 (which I think is International) yesterday. The only difference I can see is that the two apps are no longer installed (Moras...).

FYI, the procedure I used was:
Factory reset
Setup device with no wifi or Google login
Copy update file to internal memory root directory
Go to system update in settings (update was shown as ready to perform) and update
Reboot
Setup again
Factory reset again for good measure
Setup with wifi and Google.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #4,538 of 8,642
It's actually more complicated than the 4 modes I suggested to you. There's also Direct Source Off, All DSP off. And also the Safe mode which adds even more modes to try out.

The good thing is we have identified that there's so much more nuanced adjustment in Sony sound processing system. You can tinker and find the right level of processing to suit your listening preferences and your audio gear.

I think overall the new firmware sounds better refined in microdynamics with a more nuanced bass presentation. Sony is constantly improving the sound quality on this walkman. I was already very satisfied with the previous firmware sound quality, now it is even more enjoyable to listen to an Android Walkman that is so refined and detailed in it's sound presentation. It is a vast world of difference in sound if compared to my 2015 ZX2.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #4,539 of 8,642
Agreed on firmware, I switched my A105 from Japan firmware to series 0000 (which I think is International) yesterday. The only difference I can see is that the two apps are no longer installed (Moras...).

FYI, the procedure I used was:
Factory reset
Setup device with no wifi or Google login
Copy update file to internal memory root directory
Go to system update in settings (update was shown as ready to perform) and update
Reboot
Setup again
Factory reset again for good measure
Setup with wifi and Google.

That's the best procedure to ensure that the Walkman is in a clean slate. I guess you have already experienced issues with your computer operating system, video card drivers or router previously to understand why you need to do this double factory resetting

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #4,540 of 8,642
Well, sometime next week I'll have my first headphones in almost 6 years (been strictly IEM). A friend grabbed a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-WP900 at my request. He's starting a multi-state drive on Sunday, putting him in my town early in the trek to drop them off. These come with a 4.4mm balanced cable included, so looking forward to seeing how they do with the ZX507. I've always had a thing for AT woodies; these sure are pretty:

In my opinon, ownership of Wooden headphones is one of the must do in this Audiophile hobby.

They produce a sound signature that is perfect for accoustic music or classical music. I feel that some of the Audio Technica headphones do produce some of the most magical sounding female vocals.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #4,541 of 8,642
I think overall the new firmware sounds better refined in microdynamics with a more nuanced bass presentation. Sony is constantly improving the sound quality on this walkman. I was already very satisfied with the previous firmware sound quality, now it is even more enjoyable to listen to an Android Walkman that is so refined and detailed in it's sound presentation

I agree. I even tried an R&B album in 320Kbps and this DAP+ latest firmware finds all the micro details as I've never heard them before. Hi-Res stuff sounds even more refined. It's going to be a lovely weekend

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #4,542 of 8,642
If the International software was installed from the file and a factory reset was done should I still have the Japanese apps on my 507?

I did the latest update on WiFi, doesn't seem to be in Japanese, but I still have Google Japanese Input listed in apps and the other Japanese apps installed - Mora, Mora Qualitas etc.

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #4,543 of 8,642
If the International software was installed from the file and a factory reset was done should I still have the Japanese apps on my 507?

I did the latest update on WiFi, doesn't seem to be in Japanese, but I still have Google Japanese Input listed in apps and the other Japanese apps installed - Mora, Mora Qualitas etc.

If you update via WIFI, you should get the right firmware for your Player. I have a Chinese ZX500 and thus never use WIFI update.

Manually download the international firmware, install and reset everything.

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #4,545 of 8,642

No - Mora and Mora Qualitas were gone when I went to International firmware manually. There was a browser link on the Home Screen to a Japanese website, but I immediately deleted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back