SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #4,546 of 8,642
I am having the Sony NW-ZX507 paired with the new Sony WH-1000XM4 for listening inside my apartment and I am really happy with the level of details and the soundstage I am hearing. For Spotify listening you hear all the details of a lossless compressed audio streaming and with Tidal HiFi I hear most of the details. DSD files play nice and I hear all the micro-details.

On average, there's a trade: you do invest 600EUR on this DAP, 100EUR on the case (I have the Sony original case sold in Asian markets, bought from eBay) and 400EUR on a pair of Sony WH-1000XM4. Are your ears happy with this? Mine yes, as the WH-1000XM4 have internal amplifier and they are way more louder than probably using a pair of earphones connected on the 4.4mm balanced output. The soundstage is great for these headphones and they have a bit more loudness than other IEMs.

To conclude, the WH-1000XM4 are an excellent pair of headphones with the NW-ZX507 via Bluetooth LDAC optimised for sound quality. Does any of you owns the WH-1000XM4 and can confirm?

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #4,550 of 8,642
In my opinon, ownership of Wooden headphones is one of the must do in this Audiophile hobby.

They produce a sound signature that is perfect for accoustic music or classical music. I feel that some of the Audio Technica headphones do produce some of the most magical sounding female vocals.
Oh yes, and I have owned AT woodies before. Sold pretty much all of my audio gear 5+ years ago, and haven't had headphones on my head since. Funny thing is, I know the woodies are best for things like classical & female voices - which I don't listen to, hahahahaha (well, female voices by accident on some of my electronic genres). I listen to progressive rock, progressive metal, multiple sub-genres of electronic and instrumental jazz for the most part. Still, the woodies are like a siren's call to me. I go in with my eyes wide open.

Aug 28, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #4,551 of 8,642
I dont have one...yet. I was hoping someone here could do the experiment.
No it doesn't. Tried on an Amazon UK one before sending back, then imported one actually cheaper from Amazon Japan reseller that would ship to UK but was Amazon Fullfilled so import/delivery fees all included.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #4,552 of 8,642
Thanks, very kind. Could you share the name of the reseller (if it is not too much trouble)?.

Edit: I just saw the names of the sellers are in japanese. Hard to remember!.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #4,553 of 8,642
I think this firmware has reduced the differences between:

1. Direct Source ON
2. Direct Source OFF, ALL DSP OFF
3. DSEE HX ON

With Hi-Res Streaming OFF

It is really much harder to tell these three modes apart. It more about the subtle details in how the soundstage feels as oppose to the imaging accuracy.

What I felt is this:
1. Original recording, vocals are most forward
2. Adds depth
3. Adds depth and height

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #4,554 of 8,642
My speculation is that this firmware seem to have two types of audio systems at work

Hi-Res streaming mode off: Stereo playback
Hi-Res streaming mode on: New type of Sony surround audio technology quietly embedded in, effect is even more pronounced if you enable DSEE HX

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #4,555 of 8,642
@Damz87
Have you tried the new firmware with your IER-M9?

Using hi-res streaming on with dsee hx and high gain.

The imaging of the sound field is unbelievably real. I really can’t tell if I am at the concert/recording studio or in my room!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #4,557 of 8,642
Thanks, very kind. Could you share the name of the reseller (if it is not too much trouble)?.

It was a while ago and don't think the seller was listing again when I last looked for someone. Will check again.

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #4,558 of 8,642

Just looked now, none shipping to UK other than one but 25% poor rating so no good.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #4,560 of 8,642
Yes with full google services
[/QU

Thanks, this worked. at first, it said it was up to date, I had to do a full reset and try and few times, then it went even tho I already had the lastest Japanese version by Wifi.

I didn't log in to google at first, then figured I would need Tidal from the play store and caved in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back