SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 22, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #437 of 8,639
The WM1Z does not have the same power as ZX300. It is rated at 250mW+250mW for it's balanced out vs 200mW per channel of ZX300. SE out is higher too.

Roughly the same power. I have both and that extra 50 mW in balanced is barely a game changer IMO if you need to drive a 300 ohms headphones.

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #438 of 8,639
Just saw a Sony reps reply on Amazon to a question about ZX500 supporting mqa and installation of apps. The reply was that the mqa file format is supported but the zx500 does not support installation of apps so no Tidal, Spotify or what have you. Have I missed something, thought that was the whole point of going Android and wifi ???

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #439 of 8,639
Just saw a Sony reps reply on Amazon to a question about ZX500 supporting mqa and installation of apps. The reply was that the mqa file format is supported but the zx500 does not support installation of apps so no Tidal, Spotify or what have you. Have I missed something, thought that was the whole point of going Android and wifi ???
Kind of weird to have Google Play installed and no apps able to be installed.

edit:
https://www.sony-asia.com/electronics/walkman/nw-zx500-series#features_benefits_35607496595930691371079843 said:
Supported by Android™
The NW-ZX500 is supported by Android™, giving you easy access to a huge range of media apps and music services.

Wi-Fi compatible for direct download and streaming
Supported by Android™ and compatible with Wi-Fi, the NW-ZX500 offers you even more ways to listen to your music. Enjoy your favourite streaming and music apps right on your Walkman or connect to a PC to access your music collection.

Most likely, mqa is only supported with the walkman app, and not supported by Sony through Tidal or Spotify installs.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #443 of 8,639
No set date for North America released so far. No love for us Sony?

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #444 of 8,639
This is my personal evaluation on ZX300 compared against AK SR15, iBasso DX220 & FiiO M11 which I tested.. In terms of sound signature, etc.. You can ignore other models & local prices in MYR..

Why is dmp only 9 lmao even below 1z!

Nice chart I like it, in my opinion zx500 will be just below 1z as its a new dap and has new technology inside and r&d lot of refreshments...

I feel sony will announce new 1z successor next year! Let see how bad ass thats going to be. Hopefully at same price as 1z please

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #445 of 8,639

Nice chart I like it, in my opinion zx500 will be just below 1z as its a new dap and has new technology inside and r&d lot of refreshments...

I feel sony will announce new 1z successor next year! Let see how bad ass thats going to be. Hopefully at same price as 1z please
I have the DMP and 1Z and the two are competing in a very different market. The DMP can go head to head with a desktop amps costing upward $3-4K plus sub $2K DACs. My 1Z can’t even beat my Sony PHA-3 setup.

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #446 of 8,639

WHAAT lol he must have replied random bs maybe?

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #447 of 8,639

Well, I'm one of the few people who found DMP-Z1 not that impressive after all the buzz.. Personally I still think WM1Z & Kann Cube sound better.. Maybe DMP-Z1 unit I demo'ed wasn't set up properly (eg. with track I would appreciate or enjoy) or hadn't burnt in the required 200 hours, whatever.. Even when I chat with one Sony salesperson last weekend, he said DMP-Z1 doesn't sound that good (to his liking & expectation) due to excessive internal wiring, etc..

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #448 of 8,639
I have the DMP and 1Z and the two are competing in a very different market. The DMP can go head to head with a desktop amps costing upward $3-4K plus sub $2K DACs. My 1Z can’t even beat my Sony PHA-3 setup.

I agree that 1z as good it is it's below desktop sq I heard the difference with my own ears. Though 1z is still super good and not much can reach its goodness.
And I cant carry dmp around and definitely not at 10k $!

What is your pha-3 setup? What headphones or iems u use?

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #449 of 8,639
I agree that 1z as good it is it's below desktop sq I heard the difference with my own ears. Though 1z is still super good and not much can reach its goodness.
And I cant carry dmp around and definitely not at 10k $!

What is your pha-3 setup? What headphones or iems u use?

If you are using a stock USB cable then the PHA3 and 1Z are neck to neck but the PHA3 starts to pull ahead comfortably if u use an upgrade USB cable, digital out dock, and harder to drive headphones. I observe better sound of the PHA3 than the 1Z with Z7 MK2, IER-Z1R, and HD800. The PHA3 is a good bit more power than the 1Z.

My DMP-Z1 has roughly around 800 hours. It can almost go head to head with an Audio-technica HA5050H amplifier when driving the modded Senn HD800.

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #450 of 8,639
Well, I'm one of the few people who found DMP-Z1 not that impressive after all the buzz.. Personally I still think WM1Z & Kann Cube sound better.. Maybe DMP-Z1 unit I demo'ed wasn't set up properly (eg. with track I would appreciate or enjoy) or hadn't burnt in the required 200 hours, whatever.. Even when I chat with one Sony salesperson last weekend, he said DMP-Z1 doesn't sound that good (to his liking & expectation) due to excessive internal wiring, etc..

Ouch thats so huge as a statement that it literally jamed my brain.

Like what ein sony salesman said that really lol. Too many wiring lol. It might be possible but sony usually have good quality and nicely sounding devices.

Might be a burn in
Could be your mood
Maybe the environment wasnt ideal lol

I know when I received my ier-z1r I did not like them for the first 2 weeks.
After that I started to love them and understanding better their behavior and man today I cant live without it.
I did mod them though )

Maybe its a good sign that you did not liked from first trie. Means its going to stand it self better in a long run!

1z also took me some time to get into the sound but it was faster love build up vs ier-z1r hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back