SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 21, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #421 of 8,639
Again though, SE is just 50 mW vs 200 for balanced, so the volume difference vs 250 balanced on your 1Z is not unexpected. I didn’t try the balanced as I have no 4.4-terminated cable, only 2.5. Imo SE should give a good baseline of an amp’s signature and quality. A good amp should account well for itself from the 3.5 jack. Balanced is icing on the cake, for enthusiasts. Heck, I’m an enthusiast yet even my desktop amp doesn’t sport a Pentaconn connector.
The show floor was noisy, but there is no scenario where the output could be construed as “loud”.

Honestly this looks like zx300 with android, I was expecting more for the 40 year anniversary of the Walkman. Sure they have the cassette screensaver or whatnot which is cool but c'mon. I even had money aside for the deluxe 40 year anniversary model.

Curious, but not really feeling it like I was with the zx300. Competition is tougher this time around.

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #422 of 8,639
how big is the jump in SQ from zx300 to zx500?
tbh imo the zx300 design looks more premium to me. does the zx500 really not have dac function? that would be a deal breaker for me as most of my listening is just at home.
with the new features in android it must be nice to have a keyboard though. i wonder if they would implement a search function upgrade for the present zx300

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #423 of 8,639
how big is the jump in SQ from zx300 to zx500?
tbh imo the zx300 design looks more premium to me. does the zx500 really not have dac function? that would be a deal breaker for me as most of my listening is just at home.
with the new features in android it must be nice to have a keyboard though. i wonder if they would implement a search function upgrade for the present zx300
Is there expected to be a jump in SQ compared to the ZX300? I was under the impression the ZX500 was literally a ZX300 with Andriod. Being as they have the same ouput power, this seems logical. Are there any differences in the internals?

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #424 of 8,639
What do I expect from the ZX500,

Fast UI: Please! All DAPs at the market are quite laggy. I don't need to play PUBG Mobile at ultra settings on a DAP, just the music playback from audio files and streaming services should be lag-free.

Stable Android: All Android DAPs are a mess. I believe in Sony, they have extented resources and experiences of Android devolopment (they make Android Xperia phones) and they should be able to create a flawless Android system.

Sound: Clean and neutral sound. The sound quality must justify the price and must be equal or better than the similarly priced competitors (DX220, M11 Pro, Hiby R6 Pro, SR15). I really hope that they don't go with the typical "warm- bassy" tuning to appeal mainstream consumers. I wouldn't buy an unnatural sounding DAP at this price.

If ZX500 achieves these, it will be the best DAP of all time and probably remain like that for years.

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #425 of 8,639
What do I expect from the ZX500,

Fast UI: Please! All DAPs at the market are quite laggy. I don't need to play PUBG Mobile at ultra settings on a DAP, just the music playback from audio files and streaming services should be lag-free.

Stable Android: All Android DAPs are a mess. I believe in Sony, they have extented resources and experiences of Android devolopment (they make Android Xperia phones) and they should be able to create a flawless Android system.

Sound: Clean and neutral sound. The sound quality must justify the price and must be equal or better than the similarly priced competitors (DX220, M11 Pro, Hiby R6 Pro, SR15). I really hope that they don't go with the typical "warm- bassy" tuning to appeal mainstream consumers. I wouldn't buy an unnatural sounding DAP at this price.

If ZX500 achieves these, it will be the best DAP of all time and probably remain like that for years.

I fear your wishes aren't going to happen with zx500, and I've got an android dap that isn't a mess at all :wink:

In fact I know of 2 android daps that aren't a mess, you must have missed those when you were testing them all. :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #427 of 8,639
The capacitors for unbalanced output and balanced output are different. Can be said there are different amp stage. The best potential sound of ZX500 is only from 4.4 mm output. I look forward to trying ZX500 at local dealer stores.

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #428 of 8,639
the zx300 ui seems 99% perfect to me. i never understood why people say its laggy or maybe they meant other daps
Exactly... Compared to my smartphone, ZX300's UI is so much faster..

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #429 of 8,639
To the ZX300 owners: How does its sound quality compare with similarly priced DAPs? ( A&K ,Fiio, iBasso, Hiby). I never tried any Sony DAPs but for some reason I am negatively biased aganist them and think that they are overpiced

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #430 of 8,639
To the ZX300 owners: How does its sound quality compare with similarly priced DAPs? ( A&K ,Fiio, iBasso, Hiby). I never tried any Sony DAPs but for some reason I am negatively biased aganist them and think that they are overpiced
This is my personal evaluation on ZX300 compared against AK SR15, iBasso DX220 & FiiO M11 which I tested.. In terms of sound signature, etc.. PhotoGrid_1571744311562.jpg You can ignore other models & local prices in MYR..

Oct 22, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #431 of 8,639
Interesting, I found the sr15 very mid centric and with a smallish sound stage compared to both m11 and dx220. And I don't consider the zx300 a 'warm' sound signature, and definitly has a more expansive stage and treble energy than sr15.

Best to try and listen to one yourself, at a Sony or BB Magnolia store. I can definitly reccomend zx300 if you're using balanced out and don't need android or a ton of output power. I'd put the dx220 and m11 slightly ahead of zx300 because of better amping but not by much.

Of course everybody hears things differently and it's really best to try one for yourself with your own iems or cans. Because of course the iems or cans your using can change the sound perceptions of things.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #432 of 8,639
This is my personal evaluation on ZX300 compared against AK SR15, iBasso DX220 & FiiO M11 which I tested.. In terms of sound signature, etc.. You can ignore other models & local prices in MYR..
Thanks, great infographic. I think you can also use 0-5-10 metric to show how warm/bright the sound is (0:warm 5:neutral 10:most bright)

Oct 22, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #433 of 8,639
Thanks, great infographic. I think you can also use 0-5-10 metric to show how warm/bright the sound is (0:warm 5:neutral 10:most bright)
You r welcome, bro.. Good idea - will do that next time.. Thanx..

Oct 22, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #434 of 8,639
Also ability to drive harder to drive phones such as the HD800. The ZX300 can do it but just barely. The 1Z has the same driving power but compliment the HD800 exceedingly well. The DMP can compete with the best of the full size desktop amp out there for instance.

Oct 22, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #435 of 8,639
Also ability to drive harder to drive phones such as the HD800. The ZX300 can do it but just barely. The 1Z has the same driving power but compliment the HD800 exceedingly well. The DMP can compete with the best of the full size desktop amp out there for instance.
Agreed with this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back