SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 16, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #4,396 of 8,642
I think the ZX507 is best paired to IEMs or under 120ohms/40mm driver headphones for optimum drivability.

I would suggest pairing to ier-m7 or ier-m9. It will offer you amazing imaging and soundstage, great frequency balance that makes it sound great with any music genre. Also both IEMs comes with balanced cables and have excellent build quality. No issues with channel balance. The only thing I would get aftermarket is a pair of final audio E-type tips. They will make the bass sound much better.

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #4,397 of 8,642
Why not give up on MQA? AmazonMusic HD works well for me.

All the DAP MQA unfold issues I see on this forum seems like an overall PITA - I don’t understand how it’s worth all the trouble. I had Tidal for a while then ditched it.
The ZX507 doesn’t play Amazon HD tracks at the proper resolution either... Any hi-res files from any of the various streaming apps are down-converted.

In general, I do agree about Amazon HD tracks vs the Tidal MQA debacle though. Amazon is a better choice, once support and cost is worked in. Tidal and MQA is fast becoming A&K and the 2.5mm standard... Nobody likes it, nobody supports it.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #4,400 of 8,642
The ZX507 doesn’t play Amazon HD tracks at the proper resolution either... Any hi-res files from any of the various streaming apps are down-converted.

In general, I do agree about Amazon HD tracks vs the Tidal MQA debacle though. Amazon is a better choice, once support and cost is worked in. Tidal and MQA is fast becoming A&K and the 2.5mm standard... Nobody likes it, nobody supports it.
My ZX507 shows Amazon Ultra HD Audioi tracks that have 24bit/192MHZ QUALITY CURRENTLY PAYING AT 24BIT/192khz flac

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #4,401 of 8,642
Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #4,404 of 8,642
Most headphones and IEMs are quite sensitive.

For example, Sony MDR-1AM2 is rated at 16ohms with a sensitivity of 98db per mW.

The Sony ZX2 Walkman only has 15mW at 16ohms which is even worse. But it is still able to run alot of iems and headphones without running into distortion.

There's alot more going on in the design of the walkman's amplifer. The ZX507 although only has 50mW per channel for single ended, the actual sound output has surprisingly powerful bass and free from distortion even when pushed to the extremes.

The magic comes from the Electrical Double Layer Capacitor(also known as Super capacitors) which allows the Walkman to have extra stored energy to sustain long periods of high current power draw to the amplifer(like in the case of bass heavy music). This supercapacitor is not found on A series walkman.

Think of it like a Water Tank(super cap) that allows the pump(amp) to sustain water pressure(sound pressure).

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #4,405 of 8,642
Most headphones and IEMs are quite sensitive.

For example, Sony MDR-1AM2 is rated at 16ohms with a sensitivity of 98db per mW.

The Sony ZX2 Walkman only has 15mW at 16ohms which is even worse. But it is still able to run alot of iems and headphones without running into distortion.

There's alot more going on in the design of the walkman's amplifer. The ZX507 although only has 50mW per channel for single ended, the actual sound output has surprisingly powerful bass and free from distortion even when pushed to the extremes.

The magic comes from the Electrical Double Layer Capacitor(also known as Super capacitors) which allows the Walkman to have extra stored energy to sustain long periods of high current power draw to the amplifer(like in the case of bass heavy music). This supercapacitor is not found on A series walkman.

Think of it like a Water Tank(super cap) that allows the pump(amp) to sustain water pressure(sound pressure).

Good analogy. Thank you. Not worried about the mW now.

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #4,406 of 8,642
My ZX507 shows Amazon Ultra HD Audioi tracks that have 24bit/192MHZ QUALITY CURRENTLY PAYING AT 24BIT/192khz flac
Wait, what-what-whaaaaat??

Has something has changed since I last visited this thread? Did the new update change things up? Latest was that due to Android issues, Sony down-converted all high-res streaming files...

Can anyone else confirm that this is no longer the case?

I’ve never rooted so hard to be wrong, lol... high-res streaming on the ZX507 will be a game-changer for me, if true...

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #4,407 of 8,642
Wait, what-what-whaaaaat??

Has something has changed since I last visited this thread? Did the new update change things up? Latest was that due to Android issues, Sony down-converted all high-res streaming files...

Can anyone else confirm that this is no longer the case?

I’ve never rooted so hard to be wrong, lol... high-res streaming on the ZX507 will be a game-changer for me, if true...

Uninstall Amazon music (if you have already installed)
Update firmware to latest 2.00.10
Go to settings > sound > Hi Res Streaming > On
Restart Walkman
Redownload Amazon music

This should be good.

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #4,409 of 8,642
HALLE-@#$%ING-LUJAH

Finally!!!!!

Ecstasy.

All android audio will be upsampled to 32bit 176.4KHz/192Khz.

It's not bit perfect but it definitely sounds better than downsampling.

Using Walkman app is currently the only bit perfect playback method.

Firmware 2.00.1.00 has subjectively improved sound quality as well, with better Soundstaging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back