SONY NW-ZX500
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #4,382 of 8,642
Just wondering if keeping the ZX507 charged up with 100% is better than allowing the battery to rundown from 100% to 20% before charging.

Staying at 100% will degrade the battery. Lithium Ion nominal voltage is 3.7v but when fully charged is 4.2v, this put's stress on the battery. There is nothing wrong with running down the battery, it's only when you go below maybe 20%-30% that the voltage drops below 3.7v which is also not great for the battery. For best longevity I try keeping the battery between 30% and 70%, but even between 20% and 80% is fine. Once a month or two I do a full charge and rundown to calibrate battery and eliminate trace memory (not really a problem with li-ion though).

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #4,383 of 8,642
Staying at 100% will degrade the battery. Lithium Ion nominal voltage is 3.7v but when fully charged is 4.2v, this put's stress on the battery. There is nothing wrong with running down the battery, it's only when you go below maybe 20%-30% that the voltage drops below 3.7v which is also not great for the battery. For best longevity I try keeping the battery between 30% and 70%, but even between 20% and 80% is fine. Once a month or two I do a full charge and rundown to calibrate battery and eliminate trace memory (not really a problem with li-ion though).
So leaving it plugged-in for long stretches of burning-in is not so great for the battery? I was worried about that.....as I was doing it anyway, LOL. I am just barely over 200 hours now on both 3.5 & 4.4 outputs. On both, probably 65-70% of those hours were when it was plugged in for burning-in purposes. As I am over 200 hours on both outputs, I am done with that routine, however.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #4,384 of 8,642
So leaving it plugged-in for long stretches of burning-in is not so great for the battery? I was worried about that.....as I was doing it anyway, LOL. I am just barely over 200 hours now on both 3.5 & 4.4 outputs. On both, probably 65-70% of those hours were when it was plugged in for burning-in purposes. As I am over 200 hours on both outputs, I am done with that routine, however.

Did you notice any sound changes after 200hours?

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #4,385 of 8,642
Did you notice any sound changes after 200hours?
I think I'm convinced that bass got slightly tighter with improved detail; detail retrieval above 2k improved; perhaps a bit wider stage. How I did it on both outputs was a burn-in track played on repeat, high gain, vol at 55; anywhere from 12 to 20 hours straight. Then I unplugged it, turned it off for several hours, then used it for regular playback for several hours (unplugged), then back to plugged in burn-in.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #4,386 of 8,642
129DE54B-3E1A-40FC-AFD3-451AC805AA09.jpeg

Finally arrived. Thanks for the tips everyone. Updated the FW, changed to hi gain, hi res streaming. Downloaded the apk for Xiami and QQMusic, and downloaded Tidal and Spotify. And we are ready to go!

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #4,387 of 8,642
Aug 13, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #4,388 of 8,642
It’s a battery prima-donna

but then so has the many iPhone batteries I have nursed over the years - (until the 11)

Here is my setup for the battery. It might be good for you depending on your regions and regulations. The USB C cable has to be short like 4 inches. So I don't have loose cable hanging out. The strip will glue the player and the battery together. I will never worry about battery life anymore.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #4,389 of 8,642
Its so wonderful how much of a difference in enjoyment when listening to my CD resolution 1990s music collection being played back on the ZX507. The DSEE HX AI has the ability make them sound like modern high resolution recordings with better dynamics, clarity and natural spaciousness. Like I mentioned before it's a Zen-like experience, with music details enveloping all around you with the balanced IER-M9 on final audio E-type tips.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #4,390 of 8,642
I've never used such a case before, but over the last couple weeks, I have found myself wishing for case I can use with a belt CLIP for walks, so I don't have to hold the ZX507 in my hand or shove into a pocket. Something along the lines of this:

s-l1600.jpg

Anyone have specific recommendations for such a case with proper dimensions? I assume I should try looking at cell phone cases, but I'm guessing by and large those will not be able to accommodate the ZX507's thickness.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #4,391 of 8,642
One more important tip:

Always use your ZX507 to format your microsd card first before placing music inside.

Meaning if you have placed music inside an existing sdcard that was formatted by windows or preformatted out of box. You have to transfer the music from the sdcard out to a PC/MAC. Do the re-format on the ZX507 before transferring back.

From my own experience, there's a sound quality difference when you use a sdcard that is formatted by the Walkman itself.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #4,392 of 8,642
This is something interesting with the ZX507

I notice there is a sound difference between

DSEE HX with Battery Saver ON
DSEE HX with Battery Saver OFF

Battery Saver ON seems to lose abit of crispiness and isn't as spacious sounding.

Battery Saver ON seems to lock the processor down to 1200MHz mostly

With Battery Saver OFF, the processor tend to stay at 1800MHz.

I would believe that DSEE HX AI requires more processing power to sound better.

Go experiment for yourself and see if you can hear any differences. Recommend listening in a quiet environment for this.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #4,393 of 8,642
Kind of an interesting little shootout I just performed.

I lucked into a deal on an Astell & Kern KANN Cube, and it was delivered yesterday. Even though the ZX507 is a wildly different player, and roughly half the cost, I naturally did a quick and dirty (and not at all scientific) shootout. Because... bored.

I compared Tidal tracks, all Masters (MQA), meaning that as well as the much larger amp and it’s ostensibly upmarket placement due to cost, the Cube had the additional advantage of streaming the better quality recording, insomuch as it will unpack and play Tidal high-res MQAs, while the ZX507 converts them to mid-res files.

Anyway:

Highs- this is perhaps the closest category, but the Sony retrieves slightly more detail, and is able to extract some subtle timbre the A&K cannot. Neither are harsh or bright, both are pleasing.

Mids- the Sony sits a bit more forward here, with vocals more present. While both players exhibit a slight upper bass bump, the A&K’s is more pronounced, and it bleeds a little into the mids, at the expense of coherence. On some tracks, the Cube can sound actually muddy compared to the always controlled Sony.

Bass- as noted above, both players exhibit a slight upper bass bump. As far as reaching in the other direction, both can extend well... but the Sony goes a few registers deeper. The A&K suggests the deepest sub-bass notes, while the Sony can actually reproduce them. Bass speed, detail, and timbre are no contest- the Sony handily beats the A&K in all three.

First place for imaging, soundstage, separation, overall detail and overall clarity also go to the Sony.

Sony also takes best marks for build quality. The ZX507 is certainly a simpler design, I would say positively staid and dated compared to the Cube, but aesthetics are subjective- I’m referring to fit and finish. The Sony feels more premium, and more solid in the hand. Now, I‘m splitting hairs, The A&K is beautifully made, to be sure. But it’s just not as perfectly constructed as the Sony. I appreciate that A&K went with a real volume pot, but the knob feels comparatively light and flimsy compared to the Sony’s rock-solid machined volume buttons (or even my Sony PHA-2A’s volume pot, tbh). Likewise, the Sony’s absolutely flush and rigid screen feels better constructed than the A&K’s raised glass, which suffers some nearly imperceptible give beneath the fingers. Finally, the rubber back of the ZX507 imparts a feeling of durability and a feeling that the device is well-built for daily use... while the Cube’s glossy carbon fiber scratch-magnet back seems somewhat cheap and poorly-conceived by comparison, despite the fact that the material is by far the more premium of the two.

Long story short, the Sony beat the A&K in literally every category, with the exception of raw power.

Even more shocking to me was that the difference in usable power was not that dramatically different. Let me preface this by saying that I am a big believer in having a comfortable overhead of excess power on tap when driving a can. I don’t like driving headphones at the edge of a device’s power limits... I think it impacts the sound. I feel most headphones need “room to stretch” to sound their best. Now, the NDH20 is a medium-range headphone to push at 150 Ohm, but the Sony drives it very well (and plenty loud enough for me) at 45-49 out of 120 on high-gain. Equal volume on the A&K was 40-44 out of 150, again on high-gain. Again, this is like the least scientific shootout ever, but this seems odd to me. A&K’s zero load VRMs output specs are vague, but they would seem to imply that the Cube has nearly three times the power of the ZX507... And at least going by the volume levels, this does not seem to be the case. Unless the A&K’s power increases exponentially, which is certainly a possibility. At the Sony’s max output of 120 on high gain, sound could easily be heard from the NDH20’s as they sat on a table. With the Cube at 150 on high gain, they literally sounded like speakers. So there is no doubt that at stratospheric volumes, the Cube is down to get crazy, while the Sony doesn’t have the juice. So pushing Planars or even 600 Ohm Dynamics would seem to be the A&K’s forte.

In any event, despite the great deal, my Cube is probably going back. The loadiest mobile headphone I have is the NDH20, and I simply don’t need the Cube for it. I don’t travel with my open backs or Planars... I have a (stupid powerful) home rig for that.

Addendum:

And now, despite it’s superb shootout performance, I am even more frustrated with my ZX507. Remember, it was hamstrung throughout due to it’s inability to convert streaming MQAs... And it still won every sound quality category. Imagine how it would have done if it was able to properly play those tracks.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #4,395 of 8,642
And now, despite it’s superb shootout performance, I am even more frustrated with my ZX507. Remember, it was hamstrung throughout due to it’s inability to convert streaming MQAs... And it still won every sound quality category. Imagine how it would have done if it was able to properly play those tracks.

Why not give up on MQA? AmazonMusic HD works well for me.

All the DAP MQA unfold issues I see on this forum seems like an overall PITA - I don’t understand how it’s worth all the trouble. I had Tidal for a while then ditched it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back