SONY NW-ZX500
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #4,231 of 8,642
Hi. My first post here. I have new zx507. Using a Mac OS X (Catalan) and with Android File Transfer, I opened the Music folder, deleted the 4 free tracks and add some of my own in FLAC and m4a formats.

When I look on the device's music player, I cannot see any of the music I added and the 4 tracks I deleted are still there. I quit Android File Transfer and re-opened it. Then I restarted the device. But everything is the same. I looked under All Songs and in Folder in the music app and there is no change. But if I look at Android Apps -> Files I can see all the files listed under 'Audio'.

How do I get files into the music player app, please?

EDIT. Ok 'Update Database' in the music player. A bit non-intuitive that. Is there an easier way using a Mac? :)

EDIT 2. I now see that disconnecting the cable forces a db refresh. That's very polite of it .:)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #4,233 of 8,642
Post 2. Can this player work with the remote controls [back, forward, pause/play] on a set of normal in-ear headphones?

No it will not work.

3.5mm jack on the ZX507 Walkman is designed for TRRS balanced mode.

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #4,236 of 8,642
Is the sound the same through third-party players? Or do third parties work through android?

Almost the same if you enable hi res streaming mode. It will get upsamples to 32bit 176.4KHz/192KHz

It's really hard to tell the difference as compared to Walkman music app.

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #4,237 of 8,642
Almost the same if you enable hi res streaming mode. It will get upsamples to 32bit 176.4KHz/192KHz

It's really hard to tell the difference as compared to Walkman music app.
Why do you say Tidal audio gets upsampled? I've had the zx607 connected to my ifi xdsd and seem to be getting proper rates. Masters come over as MQA, and HiFi seems to come over as proper 16/44.1 and this is using native Tidal app, with hi-res selected in Sony settings, of course.

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #4,238 of 8,642
Why do you say Tidal audio gets upsampled? I've had the zx607 connected to my ifi xdsd and seem to be getting proper rates. Masters come over as MQA, and HiFi seems to come over as proper 16/44.1 and this is using native Tidal app, with hi-res selected in Sony settings, of course.
Upsampled for the two analog outputs of the zx507 S-Master HX chip.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #4,240 of 8,642
For those using IER-M9 with ZX507,
I have found that the Triple comfort tips provides a more enjoyable bass on the Walkman.
I pair the IER-M9 with the ZX507 too. I tried going back to Triple Comfort tips to see if the new firmware made me like them more. I fully respect your opinion on all things Sony, but I have found another setup that IMHO is even better sounding to me. Without going into all the permutations I have tried, I ended up liking the Sony IER-M9 with Sony IER-Z1R Hybrid Silicon tips and the IER-Z1R balanced cable.

I know, that’s quite a Frankenstein setup, but I have both the M9 and the Z1R so I tried out some different permutations. The M9 Hybrid Silicon tips are structurally slightly different from the Z1R Hybrid Silicon tips, and the M9 tips use a color-coding scheme on the stem for sizing, while the Z1R uses a dots-and-diamond marking schemed molded into the circumference of the tip’s flange. The Z1R’s use the same tips as the cheap Sony MDR-EX155AP earphones so that allows one to buy a set of the earphones for $20 just for the SS,S,M,L colored tips they come with (they are available in around 7 colors).

Maybe I’m used to the Z1R Hybrid Silicon tips (and have a lot of spare tips that I bought) and like the way they slide into place so smoothly and fit my ear even more comfortably that the Triple Comforts. Since I use both the Z1R and the M9, using the same tips really has made it nice for the ears to not have to acclimate to different tips depending on which IEMs I’m using.

But the most important thing is sound quality, and to me, when paired with the ZX507, the M9 with Z1R tips and Z1R balanced cable is almost as good as the IER-Z1R, for a few hundred dollars less (accounting for the costs to source the cable and tips from a Sony parts dealer).

Cheers,
Gus

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #4,241 of 8,642
Enjoying the current Sony line-up. :D

Attachments

• 20200731_053937.jpg
    20200731_053937.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back