SONY NW-ZX500
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #4,112 of 8,642
You will need to get a aftermarket USB to Spdif converter.

Sony doesn’t have any official accessories that does the conversion since their dac/amp or speakers have USB input/wm port input support.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #4,113 of 8,642
Nice! So the ZX507 can be used as a digital transport via usb c into another DAC?

You can, but why would anyone want to when you then loose the Sony sound. I can see people wanting an external amp for more power.

Just use your phone or something like the R3Pro as source for the ifi.

I tried my DF Cobalt, before selling, it with the ZX507 and yes it worked, but pointless IMO. Also works fine with my BTR5 in DAC mode but again, why? (my BT5 can power more headphones).

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #4,114 of 8,642
You can, but why would anyone want to when you then loose the Sony sound. I can see people wanting an external amp for more power.

Just use your phone or something like the R3Pro as source for the ifi.

I tried my DF Cobalt, before selling, it with the ZX507 and yes it worked, but pointless IMO. Also works fine with my BTR5 in DAC mode but again, why? (my BT5 can power more headphones).

I'm actually wondering the same thing... Does adding something like the IFI Hipdac into the chain with the ZX507 as a transport provide sonic improvements over plugging your cans directly into the balanced headphone jack of the ZX507? I understand one reason to use the ZX507 as a transport is to use a more powerful amp, but the Hipdac really isn't much more powerful than the balanced HPO of the ZX507.

The synergy between the ZX507 and the iFi Hip DAC is seriously great. Listening w the HD6XX now and oh man is it amazin. I can hardly believe how well the iFi drives the 6XX. It’s a revelation! Highly rec this rig!

How does the sound of the Hipdac using the ZX507 as a transport compare to using the ZX507 directly as your source?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #4,115 of 8,642
with my 6XX headphones plugged in to the Hip DAC using the ZX507 as a transport it’s night and day - way better layering, dynamics and separation. if I was using my Oriolus iems i’d def just plug them in to the ZX507. the Hip DAC hisses like crazy with sensitive iems. what it does extremely well though is push hard to drive headphones, with ease.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #4,116 of 8,642
I will do some test as I own both as well. With the quick A/B I did, I prefer the sound characteristics of the ZX507. Less noisy, more precise and laidback sound. Somewhat lesser but tighter bass. The iFi Hip Dac has more of an in your face kind of sound, very much alike my iBasso DX160 as well. Both sounds good to me but they have a different flavor. I've been using Aeon Flow RT open on 3.5mm SE on both, I'm waiting for my 4.4mm BAL cable.

The Hip Dac seems to have much more power on tap. On the ZX507, I'm at 110/120 high gain for a properly loud listening level and I seem to achieve the same on bout 2/3 of the Hip Dac low gain.

I will try out later with my iems and 58X since I have 4.4mm BAL for both.

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #4,117 of 8,642
I will do some test as I own both as well. With the quick A/B I did, I prefer the sound characteristics of the ZX507. Less noisy, more precise and laidback sound. Somewhat lesser but tighter bass. The iFi Hip Dac has more of an in your face kind of sound, very much alike my iBasso DX160 as well. Both sounds good to me but they have a different flavor. I've been using Aeon Flow RT open on 3.5mm SE on both, I'm waiting for my 4.4mm BAL cable.

The Hip Dac seems to have much more power on tap. On the ZX507, I'm at 110/120 high gain for a properly loud listening level and I seem to achieve the same on bout 2/3 of the Hip Dac low gain.

I will try out later with my iems and 58X since I have 4.4mm BAL for both.

yeah the power difference is huge. for me, i need 95-100 volume on high gain to get decent fullness and dynamics using my HD6XX directly to the ZX507. even then it‘s not ideal. with the Hip DAC in the chain, i’m on low gain with the volume knob almost at 3 o’clock. the Hip DAC barely breaks a sweat driving the 6XX. also, the Hip DAC has the best bass boost i’ve ever used. hands down

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #4,118 of 8,642
yeah the power difference is huge. for me, i need 95-100 volume on high gain to get decent fullness and dynamics using my HD6XX directly to the ZX507. even then it‘s not ideal. with the Hip DAC in the chain, i’m on low gain with the volume knob almost at 3 o’clock. the Hip DAC barely breaks a sweat driving the 6XX. also, the Hip DAC has the best bass boost i’ve ever used. hands down

You do realize that in this setup the ZX507 is doing nothing but carry your music right? Not disputing what you are hearing just that you are showing the iFi hip-dac is a much better DAC/amp than what's included with the Sony Walkman....

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #4,119 of 8,642
You will need to get a aftermarket USB to Spdif converter.

Sony doesn’t have any official accessories that does the conversion since their dac/amp or speakers have USB input/wm port input support.
hello
you look like a guy who knows everething about sony zx507.
can u tell me what charging device is recommended to charge zx507?
is it ok to charge zx507 with ipad 2 (5.1V 2.1A) charger or xiaomi powerbank 5.1V 2.1A (5000mAh) (probably 18.5W) charger?
I currently charge it with old iphone se 1A charger.
thanks

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #4,120 of 8,642
You do realize that in this setup the ZX507 is doing nothing but carry your music right? Not disputing what you are hearing just that you are showing the iFi hip-dac is a much better DAC/amp than what's included with the Sony Walkman....

the Hip DAC is more powerful yeah. i wouldn’t necessarily say it’s better at retrieving details or other sound characteristics than the Sony ZX507. the sound coming from my Oriolus when paired with the ZX507 is on par, maybe better. all i’m saying is the Sony can’t drive the HD6XX nearly as well as the Hip DAC.

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #4,122 of 8,642
the Hip DAC is more powerful yeah. i wouldn’t necessarily say it’s better at retrieving details or other sound characteristics than the Sony ZX507. the sound coming from my Oriolus when paired with the ZX507 is on par, maybe better. all i’m saying is the Sony can’t drive the HD6XX nearly as well as the Hip DAC.

So in fact you might as well go with the Sony A105 dap if you want to use it with a Ifi hip dac or something like the Audioquest Dragonfly and then it wouldn’t matter if it’s the EU volume capped units?

that could be an interesting option 🤔 if you don’t want to sit at your computer or laptop but in the couch.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #4,123 of 8,642
hello
you look like a guy who knows everething about sony zx507.
can u tell me what charging device is recommended to charge zx507?
is it ok to charge zx507 with ipad 2 (5.1V 2.1A) charger or xiaomi powerbank 5.1V 2.1A (5000mAh) (probably 18.5W) charger?
I currently charge it with old iphone se 1A charger.
thanks

The raised internal temperature created by fast charging—even though it might be below the “safe” threshold determined by the manufacturer of a particular Li-ion cell—could cause slight damage, ultimately resulting in reduced capacity and fewer recharge cycles.

Also the quicker the charge, the lower the capacity when the battery switches to the slower reduced voltage part of the charging regime. For example, charging a 1500mah battery at 1A results in a capacity of around around 70 percent when 4.1 or 4.2 V is reached and reduced voltage charging commences, whereas charging at 300mah results in a full battery as soon as the voltage reaches 4.1 or 4.2 V (extending battery life).

In other words, if you want to charge from, say, 25 to 75 percent, your 2A charger is fine, but if want to do a full charge to 100% the more linear saturation of a lower amperage is ideal for extending battery life, 0.5C being the middle ground for a 1500mah battery which is 750ma, but your 1A charger is fine.

I use a 750ma blackberry charger.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #4,124 of 8,642
in my usage, I can use digital transport to feed dac/amp in car stereo, so I'm looking for a good transport. I don't think all digital transports are created equally, in term of SQ, jitter, etc.

zx507 as bluetooth source for a car:

you can always use zx507 Bluetooth to connect to your car stereo. The sound quality of zx507 Bluetooth is already so much better than what you can get from any other smartphone bluetooth even if you are just using SBC codec on the ZX507.

I have used the zx507 3.5mm(120volume High gain) as lineout to connect to my prius car stereo. it sounded just as good as listening to zx507 on IEM/headphone. You still get the same Sony sound signature with excellent imaging and soundstage.

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #4,125 of 8,642
Just compared my zx507 on v2.0.1 vs the store unit still on 1.xx firmware.
F18A943A-6226-4641-B76D-FB097DE5383E.jpeg

The store unit has more mid bass boost and a more intimate soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back