Sony NW-ZX300
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #1,696 of 12,862
I like the form factor if the zx300 better than the 1A. And yes the silver sounds brighter because it IS brighter.

lord help us.

I AB tested both silver and black and feel some very tiny difference.
which the black is just a bit more laid back
Best if you guys can do the test at Sony store and listen by your own ears

and last time I did chat with member @nanaholic on this matter
which he told me the difference may cause by the coating and the engineer in SONY also notice it.

already a used unit up for sale in japan: http://www.fujiya-avic.jp/products/detail147395.html ??!!

Preorder it, don't like it, then sell it. Normal in Japan, they usually have special trade-in price for machine used less than a week.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #1,697 of 12,862
I am sorry i am a little confused. What coating are we talking about? If you mean the black coating i doubt that would even have any imaginary influence on the sound.

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #1,699 of 12,862

and last time I did chat with member @nanaholic on this matter
which he told me the difference may cause by the coating and the engineer in SONY also notice it.

The coating wouldn't make any diffrence is the audio circuit at all. Perhaps the settings were different or one was a bit more broken in than the other. I would like a link to where the engineer noticed the difference.

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #1,700 of 12,862
I like how small the zx300 and it is pocketable. I don't think the wm1a might fit in the pocket?

I'm not gonna use the dac feature, maybe the aptx/ldac if I get one of those sony HPs.

The zx300 will be available next month where I live, and I'm to itching to pull the trigger but I'm weighing if the wm1a's sq is better than zx300 like night and day difference. If not, I'll get the zx300 instead.

Thanks guys.

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #1,701 of 12,862
The coating caused extra impedance on grounding, something like that.
but difference is small

No part of the circuit should be touching the body to cause the grounding, sorry it just doesn't make sense. If true that would be a horrible design flaw. And I can't go listen to one, no sony stores have them where I live.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #1,702 of 12,862
The coating wouldn't make any diffrence is the audio circuit at all. Perhaps the settings were different or one was a bit more broken in than the other. I would like a link to where the engineer noticed the difference.

There is no link but just a chat I had with @nanaholic last Sunday, while he let me tried his Hugo 2 pairing with MDR-Z1R and HD800.
While we talked about the ZX300 and its sound signature, he told me that he happened to met some SONY's engineer and shared their view with me.

No part of the circuit should be touching the body to cause the grounding, sorry it just doesn't make sense. If true that would be a horrible design flaw.
As I told, go for a AB test if you can
If you think no difference, it's fine
If you find difference, pick the one you like.

I like how small the zx300 and it is pocketable. I don't think the wm1a might fit in the pocket?

I'm not gonna use the dac feature, maybe the aptx/ldac if I get one of those sony HPs.

The zx300 will be available next month where I live, and I'm to itching to pull the trigger but I'm weighing if the wm1a's sq is better than zx300 like night and day difference. If not, I'll get the zx300 instead.

Thanks guys.
WM1A is light enough, but won't fit in jeans pocket

Rumor say the APTX update is coming to WM1A/Z, LDAC available for both WM1A/Z and ZX300

SQ not night and day difference, but still 1A do a better job on the sound stage with a tighter bass

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #1,703 of 12,862

Preorder it, don't like it, then sell it. Normal in Japan, they usually have special trade-in price for machine used less than a week.

Your either rubbish at telling sarcastic jokes or I think your sub-conscious mind is playing tricks. There's no way a black anodised/passivated coating on outside of aluminium is going to alter sound over a base silver aluminium!. Now there could be manufacturing tolerances at the board level that could have an affect but doubt it.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #1,704 of 12,862
Your either rubbish at telling sarcastic jokes or I think your sub-conscious mind is playing tricks. There's no way a black anodised/passivated coating on outside of aluminium is going to alter sound over a base silver aluminium!. Now tere could be manufacturing tolerances at the board level that could have an affect but doubt it.

Maybe my mind is playing the trick, but please don't be impolite. I'm just here to share my impression, if you don't agree with me that's fine, but I feel hurt by your reply.

Oct 24, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #1,705 of 12,862
Btw, some say the silver and black ZX300 sounds a bit different, which silver one is brighter than the black.

There is absolutely no way that's true, they actually sound identical. (I've tested both), in fact it sounds almost (if not) identical to the WM1A as well (at least on the balanced output), the WM1Z does sound different. (I've tested all these over several hours at Sony Ginza, they were all broken in)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #1,706 of 12,862
Maybe my mind is playing the trick, but please don't be impolite. I'm just here to share my impression, if you don't agree with me that's fine, but I feel hurt by your reply.

Wasn't being impolite so sorry if taken wrong way.. Must be lost in translation

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #1,707 of 12,862
There is absolutely no way that's true, they actually sound identical. (I've tested both), in fact it sounds almost (if not) identical to the WM1A as well (at least on the balanced output), the WM1Z does sound different. (I've tested all these over several hours at Sony Ginza, they were all broken in)

May have missed it, but does the ZX300 have more or less the same internals as the WM1A? I read the cabling inside was improved but not sure if that was comparing to the ZX100.

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #1,709 of 12,862
May have missed it, but does the ZX300 have more or less the same internals as the WM1A? I read the cabling inside was improved but not sure if that was comparing to the ZX100.
It's mostly a WM1A on a smaller board, the WM1A does have additional capacitors connected to its SE output which should indeed be better than the one on the ZX300, but at this point I would be buying these units for their balance outputs which have much better sound than their respective SE counterparts.

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,710 of 12,862
also no relay no coil on board which the 1A had.

This must be what they refer to in the 1A thread regarding the annoying noise when changes volume or music frequency with 1A/1Z.

Also buying the ZX300 for its balanced use (and DAC function).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back