SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 22, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #13,786 of 14,755
  Does anyone know if you can adjust the volume on the ZX2 to lean more towards the left or the right?  I would like it to be just a little louder on the right side.  Thanks

I suggest you go see a doctor to check your hearing, you might be doing irreparable damage to your hearing, a small break in head gear might help, also tone down the volume if you can't do what I recommended. It is also natural to hear a little better from each ear, same goes for your vision, one eye is always a bit stronger than the other.

Hmmm.
We need to be careful and sensitive in responding to a post, lest we portray ourselves in a manner un-befitting.
You have no idea if this person has a medical condition whereby he may be partially deaf in one ear or has tinnitus worse in one ear. Yet you have chosen to advice him to go check his hearing before he damages them. 
I will suggest if there's no direct answer to a specific gadget-related question, one avoids going on a tangent and offering advice, especially one that is medical in nature.
Just my two cents.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #13,788 of 14,755
I meant no ill will, I had the same issue he had for some time, then cooled off on head gear for a while, and it helped. I just don't want to see someone do damage to their hearing.

Fair enough. 
I appreciate you humility.
Cheers.

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #13,789 of 14,755
Fair enough. 
I appreciate you humility.
Cheers.
Seriously, I don't believe my post came across as deragetory or hateful in any way shape or form. People need to realize that with today's powerful amps and extremely loud headgear that you can do serious damage to your hearing, which is a terrible thing, and can cause serious quality of life issues later in life.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #13,790 of 14,755
No worries all... yes, mild ringing in my right year. But not from headphones, from listening to music too loud during college, in my 20's, etc. Spent many concerts in the first few rows too close to the stage... it doesn't really get worse with headphones since I don't listen to them loud. But I have to limit it to no more than an hour a night or it will get worse for a bit and I have to take a break for a few days.

I'll look into downloading some of the players suggested... thanks!

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #13,791 of 14,755
Look what I managed to change today on my volume capped Sony ZX2 EU.. if people are still interested I can post instructions - it's not so straightforward as it involves a Chinese root tool which might install bloatware on your device and might not work (it didn't work for me on first attempt), and to be done at your own risk of course

gifts will be accepted.. I'm in a desperate need of headphone amp for my HD650 :) 

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #13,792 of 14,755
Hi, I'm interested, although I'm not a genius of PC
frown.gif

But if you have been successful, I could try it at my own risk.

Could you quantify the increase in volume ?

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #13,793 of 14,755
gain about 20% volume.. won't drive HD600 or anything but it drives my pinnacles P1s nicely now! 

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #13,795 of 14,755
Japan ZX2 is around 30-40% louder than the EU model (i owned both so i speak from experience)

Apr 1, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #13,799 of 14,755
  Look what I managed to change today on my volume capped Sony ZX2 EU.. if people are still interested I can post instructions - it's not so straightforward as it involves a Chinese root tool which might install bloatware on your device and might not work (it didn't work for me on first attempt), and to be done at your own risk of course

gifts will be accepted.. I'm in a desperate need of headphone amp for my HD650 :) 

I'm not a tech in this, but have seen many people deal with all these hacking, but if you can change the volume_limit= 1 to volume_limit=0, it should disable the volume limit.

Apr 3, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #13,800 of 14,755
All righty - these are the steps I took to root my ZX2 and tweak the system config to disable the volume cap. I don't guarantee this will work for you, and do it at your own risk - if you brick or damage your ZX2 it's not my fault! and the Chinese root tool will likely install some bloatware apps or who knows what other dodgy stuff it does 

First select: Settings >> Security >> Unknown sources on your device.

Download the following apps from google play:
ES File Explorer (or other file explorer)

On your ZX2 download the APK from this URL: root.360.cn  (mobile version download)

Go to your downloads folder and install the downloaded APK - accept security warnings. Open the rooting app and press the large center circular button (need to be connected to wifi).. the app will start trying to root your devices and display percentage - you might see security warnings from Android, just accept them and keep going - once it's done you might see a sad face, if so, try again by pressing the circular button..  eventually I managed to get successfull root (different icon to sad face), you're in business.. I had to attempt few times before it worked for me.

Once Rooted:

0. set root access in settings of ES File Explorer - root tool popup warning will come up > accept on left button i think (in Chinese)

1. you can access /configs/region.zip   

2. copy paste region.zip back it up to your own folder just in case

3. unzip /configs/region.zip  (you might need unzip app from playstore)  

4. edit region.prop (you might need a text editor from play store): 
ro.sony.volume_limit=0
ro.sony.walkman.euvollimit (add one more zero to the end of the integer value)

5. save it, zip it up and put it back like it was before /configs/region.zip but with the changed values

6. Restart your device and voila, louder by about 20-30% 

7. Optional: uninstall root tool and bloatware 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back