SONY NW-ZX2
Sep 1, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #7,471 of 14,755
Thinking of upgrading to the ZX2 from my AK100ii. Just a few quick questions though, can I use this as a transport for an RSA Intruder? I was reading and I've noticed some people were having issues but I'm wondering if that's been resolved. I'd like to use the RSA as an amplifier for full sized headphones and the ZX2 alone for IEMs.

Can you do line out or USB out? If so, how?  Finally, where can I get the cable connected to the amplifier?

Thanks guys!

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #7,472 of 14,755
  Thinking of upgrading to the ZX2 from my AK100ii. Just a few quick questions though, can I use this as a transport for an RSA Intruder? I was reading and I've noticed some people were having issues but I'm wondering if that's been resolved. I'd like to use the RSA as an amplifier for full sized headphones and the ZX2 alone for IEMs.

Can you do line out or USB out? If so, how?  Finally, where can I get the cable connected to the amplifier?

Thanks guys!

It is in this bunch and I listened to the Sony store!
redface.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #7,473 of 14,755
Sweet! Sounds like both the ZX2 and QP1R are just around the ballpark for me! Guess I could add the QP1R to the collection when its available :)!

Thanks for the response :)!

The Zx2 won me over with its thick lower mids and long battery life, but its inability to push my iems to its utmost performance without an amp is whats causing me to look around for options :xf_eek: I have never tried current based amplifiers before and still a little skeptical about it. Did a quick search on google but all the technical hoo-haa doesn't help me understand it either. Hope to be able to demo a set of the QP1R here in Singapore someday :)

>Ok back on track for the ZX2, only tried a friend's Pico Amp to date and was hoping to find a similar sounding amp but in a smaller more compact size :x

Which IEMs do you find that the ZX2 struggles to push to their utmost performance?

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #7,474 of 14,755

The moon audio TRRS plug, or any TRRS plug is what is needed to convert from TRS to TRRS.
You cannot use a plug or cable converter to convert TRS to TRRS.  The TRS has the L & R grds soldered together, so there is no way to split it out.  Going the other way is possible, as you can take the TRRS with separate grds and bridge them together to TRS.  If you can find an adaptor plug or cable to do that, or make one.

To get TRRS to an IEM, you  have to find a cable wired for TRRS audio, like the ones made for HiFiMan 900, with the proper termination at the other end to match your IEM's plug.  It has to be a cable made for a TRRS audio output, and not a TRRS cable made to add a microphone.  Most of the TRRS cables available use the TRRS contacts as a standard TRS, with the 4th contact used for the microphone.  (the 4 TRRS contacts are wired as TRS & M(microphone))  So the L- and R- grds are still bridged together, just like in a normal TRS cable.

Or, remove the TRS plug from a cable that fits your IEM, and solder in a TRRS plug, splitting the L- and R- onto the R and S contacts on the plug.  This is what I did with my Zephone cable for the TF10.  Unsoldered the TRS plug, cut back on the cable insulation about 3/4" to expose more of the wire for  soldering.  

Bear in mind that soldering the small flat surfaces on a TRRS plug is finicky.  I found that stripping a longer length of wire, wrapping it around the plug contact surface, soldering it quickly and lightly (don't overheat it), and cutting off the excess wire was the only way.  Use a low temperature solder iron with a fine tip.  Or solder very quickly with a hotter soldering iron.

Solder - I use WBT solder with a small percentage of silver, and a low melting point, made for audio applications.  There is probably a different ratio of tin/lead, than the standard solder.  This is standard, for audio soldering.

And then check for shorts with a meter, and when screwing the cover back on, be very careful not to twist the inside wire.  I did that the first time, and broke both ground wires.  Plugged it in, no sound, checked with a meter and had continuity on the T and R, but no connection on the L- and R-.  So open it up, strip more of the wire, solder it, and very carefully screw the cover back on.  Worked this time.  Should have followed standard practice of doing a final check with a meter after it is fully assembled, but I'm getting lazy and over confident.

Of course, the IEM cable must have separate L and R ground leads at the plug end.  Probably all cables do, but if some manufacturer commoned the grds at the Y splitter, and used one Grd lead from the Y to the TRS plug, then of course you cannot split out the L and R Grds onto separate contacts on the TRRS plug, as there is only one grd wire.  Just something to be aware of, even though it is very unlikely.

For those without the necessary soldering tools or skills, then you'll need to get a custom cable made up with a TRRS plug.  This would be a good option if you are upgrading the cable anyways, so just order the cable with a TRRS plug termination.  (Specify for audio, not for microphone.)

The wiring of a TRRS plug for audio is:
T - Tip,       L+  Left signal
R - Ring,     R+  Right signal.   I use the mnemonic of Red=Right to remember which is R and L on a TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) plug, as the Ring lead is always Red, so Ring/Red=Right, and  Ring, Red and Right, all start with the letter R, which must be for Right.  And that leaves the Tip as being the Left signal.  And Sleeve is the remaining contact, which has both L and R Grds connected to it.
R - Ring,     L-   Grd
S - Sleeve  R-   Grd

I couldn't paste a picture of a TRRS plug, but a search on the web for TRRS will show it.
Here's a link to one article.   https://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Make_a_HiFiMan_HE-500_Balanced_Cable_

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #7,476 of 14,755
Sep 2, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #7,478 of 14,755

The moon audio TRRS plug, or any TRRS plug is what is needed to convert from TRS to TRRS.
You cannot use a plug or cable converter to convert TRS to TRRS.  The TRS has the L & R grds soldered together, so there is no way to split it out.  Going the other way is possible, as you can take the TRRS with separate grds and bridge them together to TRS.  If you can find an adaptor plug or cable to do that, or make one.

To get TRRS to an IEM, you  have to find a cable wired for TRRS audio, like the ones made for HiFiMan 900, with the proper termination at the other end to match your IEM's plug.  It has to be a cable made for a TRRS audio output, and not a TRRS cable made to add a microphone.  Most of the TRRS cables available use the TRRS contacts as a standard TRS, with the 4th contact used for the microphone.  (the 4 TRRS contacts are wired as TRS & M(microphone))  So the L- and R- grds are still bridged together, just like in a normal TRS cable.

Or, remove the TRS plug from a cable that fits your IEM, and solder in a TRRS plug, splitting the L- and R- onto the R and S contacts on the plug.  This is what I did with my Zephone cable for the TF10.  Unsoldered the TRS plug, cut back on the cable insulation about 3/4" to expose more of the wire for  soldering.  

Bear in mind that soldering the small flat surfaces on a TRRS plug is finicky.  I found that stripping a longer length of wire, wrapping it around the plug contact surface, soldering it quickly and lightly (don't overheat it), and cutting off the excess wire was the only way.  Use a low temperature solder iron with a fine tip.  Or solder very quickly with a hotter soldering iron.

Solder - I use WBT solder with a small percentage of silver, and a low melting point, made for audio applications.  There is probably a different ratio of tin/lead, than the standard solder.  This is standard, for audio soldering.

And then check for shorts with a meter, and when screwing the cover back on, be very careful not to twist the inside wire.  I did that the first time, and broke both ground wires.  Plugged it in, no sound, checked with a meter and had continuity on the T and R, but no connection on the L- and R-.  So open it up, strip more of the wire, solder it, and very carefully screw the cover back on.  Worked this time.  Should have followed standard practice of doing a final check with a meter after it is fully assembled, but I'm getting lazy and over confident.

Of course, the IEM cable must have separate L and R ground leads at the plug end.  Probably all cables do, but if some manufacturer commoned the grds at the Y splitter, and used one Grd lead from the Y to the TRS plug, then of course you cannot split out the L and R Grds onto separate contacts on the TRRS plug, as there is only one grd wire.  Just something to be aware of, even though it is very unlikely.

For those without the necessary soldering tools or skills, then you'll need to get a custom cable made up with a TRRS plug.  This would be a good option if you are upgrading the cable anyways, so just order the cable with a TRRS plug termination.  (Specify for audio, not for microphone.)

The wiring of a TRRS plug for audio is:
T - Tip,       L+  Left signal
R - Ring,     R+  Right signal.   I use the mnemonic of Red=Right to remember which is R and L on a TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) plug, as the Ring lead is always Red, so Ring/Red=Right, and  Ring, Red and Right, all start with the letter R, which must be for Right.  And that leaves the Tip as being the Left signal.  And Sleeve is the remaining contact, which has both L and R Grds connected to it.
R - Ring,     L-   Grd
S - Sleeve  R-   Grd

I couldn't paste a picture of a TRRS plug, but a search on the web for TRRS will show it.
Here's a link to one article.   https://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Make_a_HiFiMan_HE-500_Balanced_Cable_

@Caruryn

Sep 2, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #7,479 of 14,755
Very detailed and thought out but Whitigir and a new member helped me out with the TRRS issue over at se846 thread.It seems since ZX2 came out many custom cable makers have a TRRS plug in their customization options for ZX2 which is apparently the same for HM-901(s).
Still as i am sitting at the office right now typing a statement of claim,can't help but admire members like ttt123 who put such time and dedication to their posts.Members like that are the heart and soul of head-fi and why it is so popular and balance out a few or more rotten apples that infest some threads,this one included.

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #7,481 of 14,755
Which IEMs do you find that the ZX2 struggles to push to their utmost performance?

I find this highly unlikely.  Maybe we need to have Tony1110 define what he means by "push".

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #7,484 of 14,755
Z5 uses a MMCX connector. You can just try cables that fit like shures, and if they fit, its not hard to get a TRRS version of them.

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #7,485 of 14,755
looks tough to do. also I dont want to use the included cable.
thought there would be somewhere where we could get the whole cable.
Sony should have had an option.
thanks anyway

here is a cable that might be expensive

http://www.beataudiocables.com/cables/supernova.html

also nocturnal cables can start from 80$ depending on cable type

http://store.treoo.com/brands/nocturnal-audio/

you can choose the iem plug for sony z5 and the other side 3.5 trrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back