SONY NW-ZX2
Aug 31, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #7,457 of 14,755
Hi!

Unfortunately, the QP1R is the new champion when it comes to detail retrieval and spaciousness, but it does have quite a different sound signature compared to the ZX2, the Sony's forte to me is its mids, the QP1R has treble that is extended waaaay beyond what DSEE HX can offer...

The M2 is about the same as the Sony in terms of detail retrieval, but is prominent in the bass (almost blurry, but JUST holding it together!)

Sweet! Sounds like both the ZX2 and QP1R are just around the ballpark for me! Guess I could add the QP1R to the collection when its available :)!
Thanks for the response :)!

The Zx2 won me over with its thick lower mids and long battery life, but its inability to push my iems to its utmost performance without an amp is whats causing me to look around for options :xf_eek: I have never tried current based amplifiers before and still a little skeptical about it. Did a quick search on google but all the technical hoo-haa doesn't help me understand it either. Hope to be able to demo a set of the QP1R here in Singapore someday :)

>Ok back on track for the ZX2, only tried a friend's Pico Amp to date and was hoping to find a similar sounding amp but in a smaller more compact size :x

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #7,458 of 14,755
^ Current based amp is not really such a big deal, it provides specific sound characteristics rather than actually being better than other types of amp, like anything in the audio realm it is about implementation. Some daps and amps actually use current based amplification but don't actually advertise it, for example PHA-3 also uses current based amplification.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #7,460 of 14,755
QP1R output is 30mW at 32ohm. Isn't ZX2 already 25mW ?

it's not about the volume though, more of the quality of the current ._. I might be blaming the zx2 for the wrong things since they do sound near perfect to my ideal sound. They do depict my songs i listen to very well but still was hoping it'd try to hide the flaws of poorly mastered music. Of course I know that many have said it'd pair well with all/if not most efficient iems, but ever since i upgraded the cables it seems like my iems are yearning for more power .-.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #7,462 of 14,755
Today, I really wanted to jump up and down and out the windows as I am so freaking happy that I discovered something of which may be extremely important to us, people who love the details from their music.

1/ ZX2 balanced TRRS is not a gimmick, it works....it really does.

2/ pure and better quality of the cables does improve the sounds and responsiveness.

I had been using this upgraded cables in my IM-04 for quiet a while now, and I always knew that the upgrade cables with TRRS changed my IM-04 sound signature to be more revealing, less warm but balanced, and better soundstage as per my review. But what makes me confirm the two above

#1 my stock cable which uses TRS could not bring out some subtles minutes details of some music hits which lie within lower high spectrum (the one that is not the large cymbals hit, but the smaller one from the shakes cymbals ). I never thought that it was there and presenting. Using the same file 16/96 rip from bluray. I was unable to hear it with stock cables that came in the box IM-04. But using the upgraded cables it fully presented itself, textures, tonality wise.

#2 The result of that shakes cymbals showing itself that clean was the result of me tinkering with ZX2 EQ....yet, despite the EQ, the stock cables never show those hits as clean, as well, as defined with texture as the upgraded cables. The level of details which was gained using the EQ and upgraded cable is nights and days different when I use EQ.

All in all, using TRRS and Upgraded cables with a bit of EQ just make me realize how important cables quality and an extra ground in ZX2 can do.

So now, I know it, I won't ever be able to listen to my collection the same with.....regular .... Lower quality cables I guess.....dang it.

Just adding my experience.  From AK100 -> DX90 -> Calyx M -> ZX2.  I like the SQ of the ZX2 the most.  With the IE800, rewired lower half of the cable, and with JVC Spiral Dot earbuds, I found the ZX2 SQ the most involving and enjoyable.  

After reading some references to how good the TF10 Pro still is (bought in 2007), I dug them out, and they sound great on the ZX2.  Ran across an old Zephone Transwar SE cable, and swapped with the TF10 stock cable, and the SQ was much better, more balanced, and now more open and brighter (in a good way).  

Then just recently rewired the Transwar SE with a Nakamura TRRS plug, and the SQ is now at a magical level.  Three dimensional staging, solid, detailled bass.  Every genre of music is involving, and music that I found blah before now has a depth that I had not realized was there.  The ZX2 has over a 1000 hours on it now.  So my experience with the ZX2 is that with the right combination of Earphone/cable, and the TRRS plug, has a level of musicality that is the best I have heard, and makes a lot more different types of music involving and enjoyable.  And the TRRS plug adds the extra "air" and dimensionallity that I suspect is critical to get all the little things together and create music.  I would not downplay the effect of the TRRS wiring.  It makes a large difference in allowing the sound to be 3 dimensional and solid.  I am guessing that there also needs to be a base level of synergy with DAP/Wire/Earphone to be established first, all working at a pretty high level.  Then the TRRS plug/wiring adds the extra magic.  It's like the situation with high end systems that are not resolving enough, because they still have some weak links in the path.  Make a change that others rave about, and you hear nothing, because the overall system is just not at the point where the changes can come through.  This does not mean that the change is a dud, and does not work.  Just that it does not work in your system, in it's present state.  This is a microcosm of the whole "audio" journey.  There is no one critical component, as the entire path matters, and changes made in isolation can be frustrating and meaningless.  But when you get everything working  together, throughout the whole chain, you just may get magic.  But only may, not guaranteed.  And this is the holly grail.

A note on the Calyx M.  I liked the sound, but found it a bit sterile, and not involving.  It could be that I did not have the right synergy with my earphones, but whatever the reason, I find the ZX2 SQ more involving, and the Calyx M 4-5 hours battery life is a real negative.  I could have put up with the battery life, but in the end, I found the SQ just not involving enough to make up for the negatives.  I suppose I had to buy it, and find out for myself if I liked it or not, as there is no way to tell from other people's experience.  I thought it would be better than the ZX2, at a lower price.  But it was not to be.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #7,463 of 14,755
Just adding my experience.  From AK100 -> DX90 -> Calyx M -> ZX2.  I like the SQ of the ZX2 the most.  With the IE800, rewired lower half of the cable, and with JVC Spiral Dot earbuds, I found the ZX2 SQ the most involving and enjoyable.  

After reading some references to how good the TF10 Pro still is (bought in 2007), I dug them out, and they sound great on the ZX2.  Ran across an old Zephone Transwar SE cable, and swapped with the TF10 stock cable, and the SQ was much better, more balanced, and now more open and brighter (in a good way).  

Then just recently rewired the Transwar SE with a Nakamura TRRS plug, and the SQ is now at a magical level.  Three dimensional staging, solid, detailled bass.  Every genre of music is involving, and music that I found blah before now has a depth that I had not realized was there.  The ZX2 has over a 1000 hours on it now.  So my experience with the ZX2 is that with the right combination of Earphone/cable, and the TRRS plug, has a level of musicality that is the best I have heard, and makes a lot more different types of music involving and enjoyable.  And the TRRS plug adds the extra "air" and dimensionallity that I suspect is critical to get all the little things together and create music.  I would not downplay the effect of the TRRS wiring.  It makes a large difference in allowing the sound to be 3 dimensional and solid.  I am guessing that there also needs to be a base level of synergy with DAP/Wire/Earphone to be established first, all working at a pretty high level.  Then the TRRS plug/wiring adds the extra magic.  It's like the situation with high end systems that are not resolving enough, because they still have some weak links in the path.  Make a change that others rave about, and you hear nothing, because the overall system is just not at the point where the changes can come through.  This does not mean that the change is a dud, and does not work.  Just that it does not work in your system, in it's present state.  This is a microcosm of the whole "audio" journey.  There is no one critical component, as the entire path matters, and changes made in isolation can be frustrating and meaningless.  But when you get everything working  together, throughout the whole chain, you just may get magic.  But only may, not guaranteed.  And this is the holly grail.

A note on the Calyx M.  I liked the sound, but found it a bit sterile, and not involving.  It could be that I did not have the right synergy with my earphones, but whatever the reason, I find the ZX2 SQ more involving, and the Calyx M 4-5 hours battery life is a real negative.  I could have put up with the battery life, but in the end, I found the SQ just not involving enough to make up for the negatives.  I suppose I had to buy it, and find out for myself if I liked it or not, as there is no way to tell from other people's experience.  I thought it would be better than the ZX2, at a lower price.  But it was not to be.

Exactly!! People don't understand how much improvements the zx2 brings with TRRS out. It is too real! I don't think I can enjoy anything on Zx2 without TRRS....which sucks.....beside, why would you not use your system to it utmost quality ?

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #7,464 of 14,755
so how do you use / what is this TRRS ? is it a cable ? sorry i am completely ignorant and you have piqued my interest here

can i use this TRRS with my iems ( K3003) ?

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #7,465 of 14,755
so how do you use / what is this TRRS ? is it a cable ? sorry i am completely ignorant and you have piqued my interest here

can i use this TRRS with my iems ( K3003) ?

TRRS is a plug. Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve....normally any 3.5mm Jack or plug is TRS (3 terminals) unless for microphone with the extra one for microphone = TRRS. Zx2 has a balanced output TRRS, and also accept regular TRS.

I am not sure of how the 3003 is cabled, but if it has 4 wires with 2 speerate grounds, then you can customize it. Otherwise, It won't happen. Unless you have anything with detachable cables, or solder stuff yourself.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #7,466 of 14,755
  which iem would be a better match for the zx2 , Noble Savant or JHA Angie ?

music would be 16-44 FLACs , rock/funk/ambient/jazz 70s-90s music , well mastered and of good artistic quality (mostly vinyl rips that sound better than all those HD tracks /MFSL versions)

I'm using Jh Angie with ZX2. I can say that they're a phenomenal combo.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #7,467 of 14,755
Why have a £1k or there abouts player, and then scrimp on the protection (£1.40 for six in the first one tells me all I need to know!!)

I did. I bought a $4.99 silicone case (includes protector) and installed side 1 but havent removed side 2 because when it gets heavily scratched i will then remove it.
I need to save on accessories as it gives me a chance to purchase other things and also save for the next release.

Congrat....Looking nice!

Thanks man. I should have bought it earlier!

I was looking for the comparison between those setups from a while 
wink.gif

Hey dude.
I have about 20 hours burn-in (recommended 100 hours by Sony) so too early to diss ZX2.
But battery does not hold well compared to A17.
ZX2 is a beast when compared to A17+PHA1A combo.

I feel ZX2 bass is much leaner and 'thin'. Also vocals shine on the ZX2 as its more forward and bright. ZX2 does not need an amp to drive EX600/1000 (2 of my favorite iems)

Looking for a price drop for Z5 to take things to the next level. Hope Sony release something new and discount the Z5.

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #7,469 of 14,755
Ιf i bought a trrs conector like this one http://www.moon-audio.com/moon-audio-4-pole-3-5mm-trrs-gold-straight-mini-connector.html then i would have to solder it to one of the se846 supplied cables.Would that be feasible?

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #7,470 of 14,755
  Ιf i bought a trrs conector like this one http://www.moon-audio.com/moon-audio-4-pole-3-5mm-trrs-gold-straight-mini-connector.html then i would have to solder it to one of the se846 supplied cables.Would that be feasible?

Guys i need to ask a question about the trrs connection,

My iems cables are terminated to normal 3.5, so do i have to get a new cable to terminate into trrs OR is there like a converter cable from 3.5 to trrs that can work with all my iem cables ? (If there is please point me to an amazon link)

Thanks

Your 3.5TRS plugs will provide full stereo signal from the ZX2.  If you want to access the TRRS function of the ZX2, you need a 3.5TRRS plug wired on the headphone, ie, separate grounds at the plug, wired to a 4 pole plug.  So it must be a 4 wire cable all the way to the plug, not fused grounds at the Y-split or headband. You cannot put an adaptor on single-ended plug to make it balanced or TRRS...as far as I know.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back