SONY NW-ZX2
Jul 23, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #6,571 of 14,772
Hey guys, have any of you owned a NWZ-A17 then upgraded to the ZX2? Is it a huge improvement in sound quality? I ask the same question in the A17 forum and they said the sound quality is about the same which I dont believe lol..

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #6,572 of 14,772
http://dsd-guide.com/size-comparison-chart-various-formats-dsd-wav-flac-mp3

Roughly speaking around 4 times larger than a CD audio copy.

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #6,573 of 14,772
DSD doesn't sound the same, however it might not be the mind blowing result you expect.  The main difference I would say is, there doesn't seem to be any dynamic ceiling making near clipping a reality. Which is probably why it is not suitable for pop/rock music.

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #6,574 of 14,772
  Thinking about getting this for my K10s. Does the tidal app play well with the Sony EQ settings?

As I recall, yes
biggrin.gif

Hey guys, have any of you owned a NWZ-A17 then upgraded to the ZX2? Is it a huge improvement in sound quality? I ask the same question in the A17 forum and they said the sound quality is about the same which I dont believe lol..

Never owned the A17 yet from memory when listening to it at shows... the ZX2 is far and away better sounding. You could always get then ZX2 from Amazon/etc and if you don't like it eter than the A17 then return it. Have a feeling once you hear the ZX2 you'll not go back
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #6,575 of 14,772
  the problems with gapless usually occurs with mp3, that's the hard stuff to play without any gap. so test with mp3 on the default sony app. 
worst case scenario, just use an app that does gapless and problem solved. so it's not really a drama on android devices.

I found out today MP3 tracks (at least the album I was listnening) were not gapless, where FLAC seems to be ok. Can anyone confirm? so I stop worrying now :) although I wish MP3 would be gapless too.

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #6,576 of 14,772

Never listened to the A17. But, I used to have the ZX1 before I upgraded. These are my thoughts on the differences:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/1785#post_11353928

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #6,577 of 14,772
I have owned the a15 which sounds the same as A17, what I found is this device is a very fragile build (almost feels cheap and with plastic rear and screen), which is made for portability. It sounds ok, but nothing special.
I don't believe the a10 series can sound anything like a fully burnt in zx2, it cant even come even close to the audio bliss of the zx2. I sold mine soon after purchasing the zx2 and don't miss it.

Jul 24, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #6,579 of 14,772
A fully burn-in ZX2 is a used ZX2, cheaper price, and sounds excellent outta the box you meant ? :D Nah, just kidding. Yeah, I don't think Sony is that BS to make a device that cost 5-6x as much of an A17 at the same quality and call it better. Sony had been a pretty serious and honest company to me. They do have hit and miss on some stuff, but they are not at all "BS"

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #6,580 of 14,772
I've given in and pulled the trigger on the ZX2. Can't wait to see how it sounds with my CE6EPs; looking forward to treating my ears to some proper sounds (been using my Samsung S6 for the past few months).

Does anyone know if there is a 3.5 TRRS cable available with T2 connectors? I know there is a 2.5 Linum cable but never seen one with a 3.5 TRRS connector.

I would like to pick one up to use with the ZX2. If there isn't, is it possible to buy the 2.5 T2 Linum cable and then get an adapter that will still produce a proper balanced sound?

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #6,581 of 14,772
I've given in and pulled the trigger on the ZX2. Can't wait to see how it sounds with my CE6EPs; looking forward to treating my ears to some proper sounds (been using my Samsung S6 for the past few months).

Does anyone know if there is a 3.5 TRRS cable available with T2 connectors? I know there is a 2.5 Linum cable but never seen one with a 3.5 TRRS connector.

I would like to pick one up to use with the ZX2. If there isn't, is it possible to buy the 2.5 T2 Linum cable and then get an adapter that will still produce a proper balanced sound?

No adapter can adapt an unbalanced shared ground to a split ground for balanced sound. The only way is to buy TRRS, open up your TRS then solder it properly. Technically, you can try to use an adapter, but the ground will still be shared, which in turn is ineffective.

You will love ZX2. I can't even stand music on Note 4 or iPad anymore. It has to be ZX2 lol.

However I think it is possible to adapt split ground TRRS to shared ground TRS but not the other way around...says if you decided to solder your TRS to become TRRS and decide to use it on a smartphone TRS, you can buy an adapter for that. If it exists. Probably http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Smartphone-Headset-Microphone-Headphone/dp/B00MV2PDCA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1437744975&sr=8-4&keywords=TRRS+female+to+TRS+stereo

Congratulations on your purchase :wink:

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #6,583 of 14,772
No adapter can adapt an unbalanced shared ground to a split ground for balanced sound. The only way is to buy TRRS, open up your TRS then solder it properly. Technically, you can try to use an adapter, but the ground will still be shared, which in turn is ineffective.

You will love ZX2. I can't even stand music on Note 4 or iPad anymore. It has to be ZX2 lol.

However I think it is possible to adapt split ground TRRS to shared ground TRS but not the other way around...says if you decided to solder your TRS to become TRRS and decide to use it on a smartphone TRS, you can buy an adapter for that. If it exists. Probably http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Smartphone-Headset-Microphone-Headphone/dp/B00MV2PDCA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1437744975&sr=8-4&keywords=TRRS+female+to+TRS+stereo

Congratulations on your purchase
wink.gif

Thank you :). It will be amazing to go back to a proper stand alone DAP and get away from the phone. I will look into cables and connectors. It would be nice if Linum made a balanced cable with a 3.5 TRRS connector instead of a 2.5. It would definitely make life a lot easier for a non DIY guy :wink:

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #6,585 of 14,772
Thank you :). It will be amazing to go back to a proper stand alone DAP and get away from the phone. I will look into cables and connectors. It would be nice if Linum made a balanced cable with a 3.5 TRRS connector instead of a 2.5. It would definitely make life a lot easier for a non DIY guy :wink:

If you meant 2.5 TRRS to adapter of 3.5 TRRS, yes they are out there

http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-female-conductor-adapter/dp/B00D64J38W/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1437746491&sr=8-22&keywords=2.5+TRRS+to+3.5+TRRS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back