SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 17, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #5,957 of 14,755
HI, 

I recently bought the cable that connects the ZX2 to the Hugo, but I'm new to Android and can't get it to work. Is there a setting I need to turn on for the ZX2 to output USB audio?

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #5,958 of 14,755
I must admit that I don't know how many hours my player has on it (guessing around 70-80) - annoyingly I've been changing IEMs at the same time so I don't really know what the sound is compared to what it was...

I'm finding the sound a little dark at the moment, is that one of the side effects of the 'change', or - is it just that I'm spoiled a little, with the Hugo?

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #5,959 of 14,755
Does anyone know if the ZX2 has the Sabre ES9018 DAC on board?

Jun 17, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #5,961 of 14,755
@Duncan-I don't find it dark at all.

@Audio Reiner-doesn't Sony have their own DAC?

I read on amazone.de, the specification of the Sony PHA-3 and it should have the ESS9018 DAC. So I guess, the ZX2 has it too, but I don't know, therefore the question.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #5,962 of 14,755
I read on amazone.de, the specification of the Sony PHA-3 and it should have the ESS9018 DAC. So I guess, the ZX2 has it too, but I don't know, therefore the question.

PHA-3 has that ESS DAC, but ZX2 has S-Master.

S-Master is Sony own signature DAC, it is not exactly a DAC either. It is more like a circuit design which has everything included from converter to amplifier. You can google on the design, you will get a hint at it.

To me, the S-Master is the purest, and closest, most efficient Digital to Analog Converter, and within this design, Sony found different materials affect the sound in different ways.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #5,963 of 14,755
PHA-3 has that ESS DAC, but ZX2 has S-Master.

S-Master is Sony own signature DAC, it is not exactly a DAC either. It is more like a circuit design which has everything included from converter to amplifier. You can google on the design, you will get a hint at it.

To me, the S-Master is the purest, and closest, most efficient Digital to Analog Converter, and within this design, Sony found different materials affect the sound in different ways.

Thank you for this explanation. I never heard an Sabre ES9018 DAC and therefore I couldn't compare it. but it is good to know that Sony's way is the right one. For me, the ZX2 sounds absolutely perfect.

In a report in "Absolute Sound" the author compared the ZX2 to the Astell&Kern AK240 and couldn't hear a significant difference between the players and that is the second reason for me for thinking about the Sabre DAC.

Now I guess, Sony has done a great job. And I'm satisfied at all.

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #5,964 of 14,755
  HI, 

I recently bought the cable that connects the ZX2 to the Hugo, but I'm new to Android and can't get it to work. Is there a setting I need to turn on for the ZX2 to output USB audio?

Thanks!

As long as you have the special cable Sony WMC-NWH10 for digital output, for the iFi Audio Micro iDSD and OPPO HA-2 it simply worked. Just make sure you have the specific digital out cable.

In a report in "Absolute Sound" the author compared the ZX2 to the Astell&Kern AK240 and couldn't hear a significant difference between the players and that is the second reason for me for thinking about the Sabre DAC.

There are differences, some more significant than others. Am listening to the ZX2 now while the Jr breaks in. The 240 has kinda been neglected as of recent 
confused_face.gif
   Now as for the AK380, THAT's a whole 'nother ball game
L3000.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #5,965 of 14,755
As long as you have the special cable Sony WMC-NWH10 for digital output, for the iFi Audio Micro iDSD and OPPO HA-2 it simply worked. Just make sure you have the specific digital out cable.

There are differences, some more significant than others. Am listening to the ZX2 now while the Jr breaks in. The 240 has kinda been neglected as of recent :confused_face:    Now as for the AK380, THAT's a whole 'nother ball game :L3000:

Which kind of differences can you hear? Can you describe it?

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #5,966 of 14,755
Sorry for all the questions today, folks, but looking for advice one more time. Spending $1200 on a piece of equipment (most I've spent on a piece of HiFi equipment) has my OCD going crazy. As stated earlier, I received by ZX2 today from Crutchfield.com and when I unboxed it earlier today it only had 4% charge. Everypiece of mobile equipment containing a lithium-ion that I have ever purchased has had at least 30-50% charge from initial start-up (my understanding you don't want a lithium-ion battery to get much below 20%). So my question is, should I be concerned that my ZX2 only had 4% battery? Especially seeing that the device is so new and it appears that Crutchfield was moving the product pretty well, I don't reckon it was on the shelf that long. Maybe Sony didn't charge sufficiently before leaving factory?

Please give me your input. Am I just being paranoid?

Jun 17, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #5,967 of 14,755
Sorry for all the questions today, folks, but looking for advice one more time. Spending $1200 on a piece of equipment (most I've spent on a piece of HiFi equipment) has my OCD going crazy. As stated earlier, I received by ZX2 today from Crutchfield.com and when I unboxed it earlier today it only had 4% charge. Everypiece of mobile equipment containing a lithium-ion that I have ever purchased has had at least 30-50% charge from initial start-up (my understanding you don't want a lithium-ion battery to get much below 20%). So my question is, should I be concerned that my ZX2 only had 4% battery? Especially seeing that the device is so new and it appears that Crutchfield was moving the product pretty well, I don't reckon it was on the shelf that long. Maybe Sony didn't charge sufficiently before leaving factory?

4% is pretty unusual. But keep in mind, modern operating systems (presumably, Android included) don't take a battery down to literally 0% when the battery indicator hits 0% and the device shuts off. I would say most, if not all manufacturers leave a physical reserve. I'm not sure what the number would be—perhaps somewhere between 5-15% of capacity physically remains in the battery by the time the operating system performs an "emergency shut down". So I highly doubt any damage was done, if that's your concern.

Is it an indicator that something may be wrong with your particular unit? No real way of telling. I'd suggest giving it two or three full discharge cycles, and then start tracking how long it runs on a charge.

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #5,968 of 14,755

+1 for what Conext said. Also, don't worry, Crutchfield has an excellent return policy should something prove to be wrong the unit. You'll be able to exchange or receive a refund I imagine with no questions asked. But I think it should be just fine after you charge the unit.

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #5,969 of 14,755

Thanks Steven, 

I'm using the alternative 'L' connector cable: Custom Walkman Digital Audio Output Cable for OPPO HA-2 WM-Port to USB Micro B with 90 Degrees L-Shape Plugs. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YWEHSQY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I thought I read on this thread that it would work, but the Hugo doesn't seem to be recognizing it. I'm using JetAudio Music player. I'm wondering if I need something like USB player which I can't find anymore on the google store. I've also read that I might have to put Android into "accessory mode." Right now nothing I've tried seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #5,970 of 14,755
To all the Neutron users: Has anyone found an optimal solution for volume adjustment with the hardkeys?

Depending on what's in focus/background, volume keys adjust either master volume, media volume, or Neutron volume.

Right now, my best solution is to set master and media volume, and then make sure I focus on Neutron by touching the album art or something before turning the screen off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back