SONY NW-ZX2
Jun 15, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #5,926 of 14,755
I am very interested in the ZX2 and noticed most use it with C/IEMS. I was just wondering if it has sufficient power for 32ohm headphones (Beyerdynamic T51i to be exact), without having to turn volume up to MAX to get adequate listening levels?

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #5,927 of 14,755
I am very interested in the ZX2 and noticed most use it with C/IEMS. I was just wondering if it has sufficient power for 32ohm headphones (Beyerdynamic T51i to be exact), without having to turn volume up to MAX to get adequate listening levels?

Thanks.

A similar query from me too - has anyone tried the ZX2 with Oppo PM-3 HPs?  They're relatively easy to drive but I don't want to carry an amp.

Thanks

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #5,928 of 14,755
The Beyerdynamic T51i are sensitive and will be fine they have been designed for low power devices like the zx2. (Should be a perfect match)

The pm3 are power hungry planar's and will most likely need an amp, having a maximum power rating of 500mw gives me a feeling that 16mw probably won't open then up to their potential, but I think they would still sound very good at mid volume.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #5,930 of 14,755
I connected the Audeze LCD-2 without aditional amp to the ZX2 and it is loud enough. Sometimes I have to turn the volume nearly to the max but mostly 5-10 steps under the max power is ok. I'm astonished about that because a few days ago I thought it doesn't work. I have now the idea, that the burning progress is involved in this changes. What ever happens here, I like the result.

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #5,931 of 14,755
Thanks audioxxx.  I think I am going to true to sell some equipment and move on the ZX2.

I did this as well, and sold a lot of stuff to offset the high price of the zx2, but I can now say it was a great move. And I don't miss any of it.

I connected the Audeze LCD-2 without aditional amp to the ZX2 and it is loud enough. Sometimes I have to turn the volume nearly to the max but mostly 5-10 steps under the max power is ok. I'm astonished about that because a few days ago I thought it doesn't work. I have now the idea, that the burning progress is involved in this changes. What ever happens here, I like the result.

I also found that as well, that the higher output only sounded distorted and rough at the very start, but after the running time required something changed in the amp, and it's clean at all volumes. Hard to believe it's only 16mw.

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #5,932 of 14,755

Thanks audioxxx.  I think I am going to true to sell some equipment and move on the ZX2.

Hey Now,

I am in the opposite boat, I have to start getting rid of stuff because the Sony is doing a lot for me.

I just got my ZX2 on Friday and have been listening to it. I must say I like what I am hearing. Took it into work today and realized I don't need all the stuff I had set up in my office 8^). Started to bring stuff home tonight. I left my Amphora amp just in case, waiting for a WM LOD to try feeding the Amphora with the ZX2. I use a pair of JVC HP-DX1000, Shure SRH1840 and Etymotic HF-2s. 

I re-arranged my work desktop so I could use Ety HF2s with the ZX2, I put the telephone under one of my monitors because I can't hear the phone ring, but the red light will flash. I was using a 1st gen 64GB iPad as a music server using FLAC Player for hi-rez and some redbook files through a powered hub into a Meier Daccord or Meridian Explorer into the Amphora or Roc. My overhead bookcase was stuffed with audio gear, I had wires everywhere  8^).

I have a pile of surplus equipment at home now. A Twisted Pear balanced Opus DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC and Audio-gd Roc amp . . .  and who knows maybe even the Amphora.

This Sony seems to to do it all for me. I have it loaded up with DSD and Hi-rez files and streaming Tidal all day. Downloaded someTidal albums and listened to one on the way home.

Shopping for a better pair of IEMs now. I am enjoying this ZX2 right now.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #5,933 of 14,755
Hey Now,

I am in the opposite boat, I have to start getting rid of stuff because the Sony is doing a lot for me.
Agreed...

Up until 23 May, my setup was my 'transportable' rig in my signature, and now it is the 'portable' rig - a whole lot easier to carry around, and - for roughly the same $$ a lot better sounding...

That isn't to say that I couldn't mix and match and maybe improve things more, just saying that right now, if I had US$4K I would rather pick the one box solution, to the two box one...

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #5,934 of 14,755
The only reason I'm not sure (but, will find out tomorrow) is that I've read that disabling the sound enhancement app on the EU models increases the volume - it didn't on mine, and - mine goes plenty loud enough...

Wondering if maybe Amazon got their stock from somewhere outside of the EU, but that when selecting the UK as my location, it made the volume warning pop up...

24hrs time, i'll have my answer
smily_headphones1.gif

You have to compare EU and JP models at max volume only. You cannot set both to the middle and compare. The reason for this is that Sony have used different volume curves for the different regions, but in some models the top volume is still the same. So any comparison has to be done at maximum volume only. I even found differences between an F886 and ZX1 in the middle part of the volume range, whereas at maximum volume they were the same.

Also on my UK model I have only seen the pop-up for the volume once when I first got the unit. I have not seen the volume warning since.....

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #5,938 of 14,755
  so , the deut have good synergy with the ZX-2 ? i mean does not affect the resolution of the player ?

I think no need duet.İt changes zx2 sound a little.Vocals are more forward and seperation is better in duet.But tonality is different.I think zx2 is warm side and more musical without duet.With duet sound starts to turn clinical just like ak100ii.Also soundstage is deeper in the zx2.So I like  zx2 without duet...

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #5,939 of 14,755

I think no need duet.İt changes zx2 sound a little.Vocals are more forward and seperation is better in duet.But tonality is different.I think zx2 is warm side and more musical without duet.With duet sound starts to turn clinical just like ak100ii.Also soundstage is deeper in the zx2.So I like  zx2 without duet...

sounds like it is a really winner player
beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #5,940 of 14,755
Well I just ordered the ZX2 from Crutchfield and will be here tomorrow.  A quick question, what size album art is best for the ZX2?  All my FLAC files are embedded with 320x240 album art to accommodate the AK100 mkII and FiiO X1.  Looking at the pics and videos of the ZX2 it looks like the album art is square, so I'm guessing I am going to have to re-tag my files with a more square JPEG file.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back