SONY NW-ZX2
May 1, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #4,966 of 14,773
I have ordered a dayjoy screen protector, I just hope I get some joy from my day fitting it.
(without particles)

lol I ordered 2 DayJoy and an extra Sandisk 128gb micro sd. Crap, i've been spending quite a bit on the ZX2 to get her properly dressed...

May 1, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #4,967 of 14,773
lol I ordered 2 DayJoy and an extra Sandisk 128gb micro sd. Crap, i've been spending quite a bit on the ZX2 to get her properly dressed...

It seems to never end, now I'm considering the black dignis case, but she has to be well dressed, a lady with so much class. And at least once it's done, there's no ongoing costs.

UNLIKE the three F's, if it floats flies or fu--'s, your better of RENTING it.

May 1, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #4,968 of 14,773
It seems to never end, now I'm considering the black dignis case, but she has to be well dressed, a lady with so much class. And at least once it's done, there's no ongoing costs.

UNLIKE Like the three FFF, if it floats flies out fu--'s, your better of RENTING it.

So many good things were d´said about the ZX1, but when the Zx3 Comes, the same will happen to the ZX2, the Player will become obsolete and critizised as being not bad in the best case, some did even say that the Zx1 was not that much better than their Z3 Smartphone,that makes one think

May 1, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #4,969 of 14,773

So many good things were d´said about the ZX1, but when the Zx3 Comes, the same will happen to the ZX2, the Player will become obsolete and critizised as being not bad in the best case, some did even say that the Zx1 was not that much better than their Z3 Smartphone,that makes one think

Here's my two cents:

The proportion of people throwing away their ZX2s will be a lot smaller this time if Sony announces a ZX3, which I doubt they'll do. I don't know if you guys have more money than you can spend, but I will not splash out $1500-2000 on a DAP when I already have a high-end DAP that sucked my wallet dry only a couple of months ago. 

People still like the ZX1 and nobody (except Steven, maybe 
biggrin.gif
) writes this audio device off as mediocre. I like the ZX1 a lot, actually.

By the way, I believe that Sony will keep the ZX2 as their flagship Walkman and develop "cheaper" DAPs to replace the ZX1 or the A-series.
That is what Astell&Kern is doing at the moment. They just announced their cheapest DAP to date which will launch this month, I believe. Sony will follow suit. In the end that's the market where most potential customers are for a mainstream company such as Sony. 

May 1, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #4,970 of 14,773

I haven't given the z1 more than a 10 Min audition, so I can't really judge it, and your right when the ZX3 is released it will and should displace the zx2.
But if Sony are clever they will milk this cash cow, the audio is at a quality which will be quite difficult and costly to better, so I don't think the next model will be an noticeable audio marvel like this.
It may hold a better screen faster systems chips, and usb3. And if released to soon will have a negative impact on marketing.

May 1, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #4,971 of 14,773
If the ZX2 is successful enough then there is no question that we will see a ZX3. The ZX2 was produced because the ZX1 was successful. ZX2 was released exactly 18 months after ZX1, I would expect a similar time frame for the ZX3.

May 1, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #4,972 of 14,773
It will be very interesting to see if ZX3 will be able to audibly outdo the ZX2, or will it be purely a overdue hardware update of the peripherals like the radio and screen.
18 months is a good production run in this day and age, but I don't think I would update for that, it would have to be a ZX2 sound killer, and that I want to hear.

May 1, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #4,973 of 14,773
For me it will have to sound a lot better, and the unit design must look good, not to bothered about the OS or the CPU, it's used for music alone and not for the android feature, I have a phone for that.

May 1, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #4,975 of 14,773
Guys,

2 quick questions:
- Currently own an iBasso DX90 (very happy for the price), is the price gap with ZX2 worth it in terms of audio quality? (with Earsonics S-EM6, http://www.earsonics.com/en/audiophiles-earphones/s-em6/)
- To access my tracks I usually go Genre > Artist > Albums: is this ok on ZX2?

thanks a mil
Cheers from Paris

May 1, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #4,976 of 14,773
Hi there Dom dom in Paris,
I have owned the x5 which is said to sound similar to the dx90, (well in its class) , and I think the zx2 eats the x5 in musical complexity, there is no competition.
So for me in terms of value although it wasn't painless to pay for, for me its worth the expense, and through it's daily use of hours every day, the value should work itself out through time.

Edit: yes you can access your files like that on the zx2.

May 1, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #4,977 of 14,773
Listening to Moby Dick ledzep on zx2 and ak240 through the Layla. The ak240 sq feels pure and where as zx2 sq seems to have a veil and missing something. Maybe Layla pairing with ak240 is better.

Could be a synergy thing with the ak240 and layla, maybe you just prefer the ak240 signature, have you tried any other iem's or headphones?
And maybe the ZX2 needs more running in. Just guessing.
However, at this end of the wallet they would both want to be bloody good.

May 1, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #4,978 of 14,773
Hi there Dom dom in Paris,
I have owned the x5 which is said to sound similar to the dx90, (well in its class) , and I think the zx2 eats the x5 in musical complexity, there is no competition.
So for me in terms of value although it wasn't painless to pay for, for me its worth the expense, and through it's daily use of hours every day, the value should work itself out through time.

Edit: yes you can access your files like that on the zx2.

Damn! I was afraid someone would say that :) and the obvious extra: battery, accessing Qobuz and UI ! thanks

May 1, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #4,979 of 14,773
Could be a synergy thing with the ak240 and layla, maybe you just prefer the ak240 signature, have you tried any other iem's or headphones?
And maybe the ZX2 needs more running in. Just guessing.
However, at this end of the wallet they would both want to be bloody good.
Tried K10 with both. The highs are more shriller on zx2 than ak240. But the synergy of k10 with ak240 is not as good as Layla. The sq of ak240 with Layla is more closer to Hugo than zx2. Maybe my ears prefer more technical sound of Hugo and ak240. Btw all eq and enhancements are off on zx2 and ak240. Need more listening to compare. Ledzep tracks are 24bit pcm FYI. Will try some DSD tracks. But so far Hugo sq is the best out of the three.

May 1, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #4,980 of 14,773
Interesting findings @piksnz,
I'm kind of lucky I haven't heard Hugo yet, so I don't know what I'm missing.
I am contemplating the k10's universals maybe, next time I get the mad urge to burn more cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back