SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #3,076 of 14,755

Custom made by Music Sanctuary in Singapore. Basically, it is two stock Noble cables that were taken apart and then remade to produce a 4-wire balanced cable. The right one is the stock Noble cable. Double Helix is making me a special all silver cable to my specs and looks like it'll be about a month or so before he gets all the parts and bits to then build it. (Blushing) Am kinda a very picky guy when it comes to equipment and cables.

it's sad... I'm looking who can produce such a great black colored cable - but can't find. I love DHC cables - but only white and clear... I think for ZX2 and dark K10 black would be great. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3,077 of 14,755
I didn't mean to argue I just wanted to give my two cents about how I felt in case someone was on the fence about buying it. I'm also in the "thank you Sony" camp. I do feel it's a high quality product, and I've spent way more on big rig components. That's where the value lies in this for me, it's a source, a DAC (internal only) and an amp that's well designed. If you've already got a nice pair of headphones you're set.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #3,079 of 14,755

Again, it just shows that at this level of DAP, it's more a matter of sound signature preference than quality. Very much like the headphone and iem wars.  I just wish I could audition them all, but I, once again, will have to take a leap of faith!

I would tend to disagree but it's only fair to defer those considerations to an individual and why it's best to listen for ones self. Some things are just better and I suppose I should add....for me.
wink_face.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #3,081 of 14,755
I didn't mean to argue I just wanted to give my two cents about how I felt in case someone was on the fence about buying it. I'm also in the "thank you Sony" camp. I do feel it's a high quality product, and I've spent way more on big rig components. That's where the value lies in this for me, it's a source, a DAC (internal only) and an amp that's well designed. If you've already got a nice pair of headphones you're set.

This is exactly my feeling. I now can have all my collections on my big rigs on the go with only ZX2 and high quality earsphones. I can take it anywhere and enjoy it :D. I too did spend a bit on my big rigs :)

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,082 of 14,755
I used to own the AK240 months back, and i can say for certain the AK240 has a much lower noise floor than the ZX2.
As for which DAP is better; compared to IEMs, the law of diminishing returns applies to DAPs at a much lower price range. Above that is mainly on sound signature preference.

On a side note, Dignis leather case fans can rejoice knowing the ZX2 leather case will be available some time in mid April :)

Where did you get this info about the leather case for ZX2? Do they have a website? Is this a flip style case that you can open to get access to the screen?

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #3,083 of 14,755
I decided to get a PHA 3 and just keep the A17 small screen and all. I actually rarely need a portable rig for anything but a bus commute to work so a $1200 underpowered player (albeit excellent sounding) didn't make much sense. I'll grab one used in a year and save about $300 is my guess. You lucky people get to enjoy this DAP. It is a gorgeous device and I would easily spend this on it if I could justify the expense, but I just wouldn't use it enough. Cheers.

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #3,084 of 14,755
I think you made a good decision here, I am so troubled with this one though, I would like to replace my F886, and I could buy a zx2 right now with some recently acquired funds or wait for my japan trip in august.  Damn lol.  

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #3,085 of 14,755
  I think you made a good decision here, I am so troubled with this one though, I would like to replace my F886, and I could buy a zx2 right now with some recently acquired funds or wait for my japan trip in august.  Damn lol.  

I hear prices in Japan are cheaper, so better wait til then to snag some new gear. You could save like $200 bucks.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,086 of 14,755
Does this support Balanced? In about to order a new cable for my JH Roxannes (which I HOPE will pair nicely with this) but I don't know if I should go with a standard cable or balanced (to be fair, I don't even know if balanced is a option, going to order today through toxic, but have zero ideal which cord to go for, I don't know enough yet about things like this, much to my dismay and despite my hours of research)

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #3,087 of 14,755
Does this support Balanced? In about to order a new cable for my JH Roxannes (which I HOPE will pair nicely with this) but I don't know if I should go with a standard cable or balanced (to be fair, I don't even know if balanced is a option, going to order today through toxic, but have zero ideal which cord to go for, I don't know enough yet about things like this, much to my dismay and despite my hours of research)

It doesn't support true balanced output, it does support a 3.5 TRRS jack for separate grounds though. Sony states it's a minor improvement in separation and crosstalk. I'm getting my aftermarket IEM cable re-terminated as we speak, I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get it back.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #3,088 of 14,755

If you're going just wait it out! You will likely save money as you can bring it back and hopefully not need to declare it. It is really hard to wait I know, I almost on impulse rushed and bought it last night. But for me, I don't think I would really benefit beyond admiring how gorgeous it is! I may still see about getting one this year. Good luck with your dilemma mate.

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #3,089 of 14,755

and what will happen if i connect a headphone splitter (for the sharing is caring users) into my walkman and i connect a balanced audio cable to each jack of the Y splitter?

Can't answer without a standard. An adapter cable can always be configured to play a balanced phone from a 3 pole output if you start with a 3 pole plug and the correct jacks for the phone. It just won't be balanced.

Thanks :D because i traded my iPhone/smatphone cable for a balanced audio cable so i will have two connectors for the xba-H3

Mar 16, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #3,090 of 14,755
It doesn't support true balanced output, it does support a 3.5 TRRS jack for separate grounds though. Sony states it's a minor improvement in separation and crosstalk. I'm getting my aftermarket IEM cable re-terminated as we speak, I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get it back.

Hmmm Is it a big difference between true balanced out or not? I know you haven't heard it yet, but in theory should there be much of a difference?

Also dumb question, but if I go with a balanced cable, is there anyway I can use it on things like my MacBook or iPhone anymore, is there a adapter I can put on the end of it to treat it like a normal plug, or will it be doomed to be used forever only with balanced outs?

Might just go with a standard plug, idk but I DO want to order it today so I can hopefully have with my ZX2 arrives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back