SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 16, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #3,061 of 14,755
Who here has heard/owns the Calyx M? I must admit that is a DAP I have thought about. Not as yummy looking as the Sony, and I rather doubt the UI will be as good, but I'm interested if it sounds as nice and also offers more power. Not to mention it can be used as a DAC alone so that is a plus.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #3,062 of 14,755
Gotcha, makes perfect sense. Are you using a ZX2 or another DAP? That link gave Canadian pricing, are you also in Canada or was my IP simply detected?

I'm using a ZX-1 and A10 and hopefully a ZX-2 soon. That Website is very useful for products like these and I'm in Singapore. They tend to have free shipping too and once I had even bought a $1 product with free shipping.

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #3,063 of 14,755
I'm sure it's fine as it is. The issue is that at the price they are asking for, I expect much better hardware. The way it is at the moment I would be much more willing to buy it if it were a few hundred dollars cheaper.

I suggest you design and manufacturer one with zx2 features and sq and better hardware at a few hundred dollars less.
That will show Sony!

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #3,064 of 14,755

Go to the Calyx M thread, most if not all people who have tried both prefer the M although the battery life and UI are bested easily by the ZX2

and why I said to listen before buying. It's somewhat personal but I clearly preferred the ak240 to Calyx M when I auditioned them and here we have a review that the ZX2 is preferred to the AK240. It's obviously not a linear progression or consensus but to be expected.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #3,065 of 14,755
Who here has heard/owns the Calyx M? I must admit that is a DAP I have thought about. Not as yummy looking as the Sony, and I rather doubt the UI will be as good, but I'm interested if it sounds as nice and also offers more power. Not to mention it can be used as a DAC alone so that is a plus.

I spent some time with the Calyx M at a shop here in Toronto, I liked the sound signature a lot. Very smooth, very analogue sounding, especially with DSD files. I thought the UI was decent too. The thing that turned me off of it was the battery life, 5-8 hours isn't nearly enough. The more I use the ZX2 the more I realize how amazing the battery life on this unit is. I've been leaving it playing overnight to speed up the break in and I'm always amazed at how much battery is left. I tend to use the unit in airplane mode until I actually need to use the wifi which I believe helps.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3,066 of 14,755

and why I said to listen before buying. It's somewhat personal but I clearly preferred the ak240 to Calyx M when I auditioned them and here we have a review that the ZX2 is preferred to the AK240. It's obviously not a linear progression or consensus but to be expected.

Again, it just shows that at this level of DAP, it's more a matter of sound signature preference than quality. Very much like the headphone and iem wars.  I just wish I could audition them all, but I, once again, will have to take a leap of faith!

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #3,067 of 14,755
Also in regards to pricing on this unit, Is it expensive, yes, but being in the audio game is expensive. It's an amazing piece of portable audio gear and anyone who's bought hi end speakers and amps and record players know it's still a fraction of that investment. Could things be better in terms of features/specs/screen? Probably, this is a specialized computer after all and things are always getting better, but of all the players I looked at/tried out this was the one that put sound quality first and had a more than adequate UI, and amazing battery life. The battery in my opinion is the icing on the cake, no other player comes close. In terms of getting the things that matter most right the Sony hits a home run for me. My criteria was Sound quality/UI/battery. I was sweating the purchase too but now I have absolutely no regrets.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,068 of 14,755
Anyone have any problems detecting the SD card folder in the Folders section? I can only find folders in the System storage but there is 0 in the SD card folder.
Which is weird as all my songs are listed and playable in the Artists/Albums/Genres etc. I have formatted my 128gb Sandisk to Fat32 btw as it couldn't detect in exFat mode as well.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #3,069 of 14,755
Anyone have any problems detecting the SD card folder in the Folders section? I can only find folders in the System storage but there is 0 in the SD card folder.
Which is weird as all my songs are listed and playable in the Artists/Albums/Genres etc. I have formatted my 128gb Sandisk to Fat32 btw as it couldn't detect in exFat mode as well.

Did you change the storage settings to micro sd before you plugged the unit in? I had to figure that out as well, you can only look at the internal memory or the sd card, never both at the same time.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #3,070 of 14,755
Did you change the storage settings to micro sd before you plugged the unit in? I had to figure that out as well, you can only look at the internal memory or the sd card, never both at the same time.

Ahh that explains it, thanks! Hope they fix that in the next update...

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #3,071 of 14,755
  I mean this one. i insert the picture - but it dissapeared

Custom made by Music Sanctuary in Singapore. Basically, it is two stock Noble cables that were taken apart and then remade to produce a 4-wire balanced cable. The right one is the stock Noble cable. Double Helix is making me a special all silver cable to my specs and looks like it'll be about a month or so before he gets all the parts and bits to then build it. (Blushing) Am kinda a very picky guy when it comes to equipment and cables.

Side Note: Kimber Kable is sending me a custom 100% silver cable (unbalanced) and am building a special assembly so I can hook the NW-ZX2, HA-2 or any 1/8" stereo out jack directly into the car's head unit without anything interfering. Have three different solutions for the car already, yet this one I'm building will be as pure as it can be.

the left one of course

Literally LOL'ed, thanks! Really needed a good laugh today as am busy making PSD/PNG/CGXML files for lower thirds and end credits for our AXPONA and THE Show Newport live stream. Using the NewTek Tricaster software is like going back in time to 1996 with software GUI / interface.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #3,073 of 14,755

I have the same problems... initially I thought that it cant see the card. but I see it in brouser and I see songs in general list. But I cant see the card inside folders section

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,074 of 14,755
Anybody know what the voltage output is for the WM port on the ZX2? Is it also as low as on the A series?

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,075 of 14,755
Also in regards to pricing on this unit, Is it expensive, yes, but being in the audio game is expensive. It's an amazing piece of portable audio gear and anyone who's bought hi end speakers and amps and record players know it's still a fraction of that investment. Could things be better in terms of features/specs/screen? Probably, this is a specialized computer after all and things are always getting better, but of all the players I looked at/tried out this was the one that put sound quality first and had a more than adequate UI, and amazing battery life. The battery in my opinion is the icing on the cake, no other player comes close. In terms of getting the things that matter most right the Sony hits a home run for me. My criteria was Sound quality/UI/battery. I was sweating the purchase too but now I have absolutely no regrets.

Totally agreed, but I have learned that to argue the pricing with others is futile. With my experiences on Hi-fi home stereo system. I have no regret, and I can even say that this ZX2 worth more than it cost. Thank you Sony !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back