SONY NW-ZX2
Mar 13, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,866 of 14,755
So... Now we need a 200 Gb SONY MicroSD like the new Sandidk !

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,867 of 14,755
So... Now we need a 200 Gb SONY MicroSD like the new Sandidk !

Well, if such thing is possible....it will have to be NW-ZX3.....and expect it to cost around $2,400. It may improve what ZX2 is lacked off.

1/ true balanced TRRS out of 3.5mm
2/ upto 200 gb micro sd reader ?
3/ more power output ? Like 50/50 mw ....
4/ longer battery ?
5/ even more exotic materials ? Such as silver wires inside the hardware ? Pure oxygen free copper on the printed board, and so on...etc....etc....

Well...lets just dream, and I don't want this ZX3 to be out anytime soon :D

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,868 of 14,755
Honestly, I have no 24 bits Flac, however I do have 16/48 lol......I cant find anywhere with good 24 bits recording
redface.gif

Hmm..I bought all my HD tracks from Qobuz and they sound really good, if you're not already convinced about 24 bit, you can download for free some sample tracks on : http://www.2l.no/hires/

They have up to DXD 24BIT/352.8kHz on 24 bit and DSD 128 (5.6448Mbit/s)

Happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #2,869 of 14,755
Hmm..I bought all my HD tracks from Qobuz and they sound really good, if you're not already convinced about 24 bit, you can download for free some sample tracks on : http://www.2l.no/hires/

They have up to DXD 24BIT/352.8kHz on 24 bit and DSD 128 (5.6448Mbit/s)

Happy listening :)  

Thank you much :)

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,870 of 14,755
Well, if such thing is possible....it will have to be NW-ZX3.....and expect it to cost around $2,400. It may improve what ZX2 is lacked off.

1/ true balanced TRRS out of 3.5mm
2/ upto 200 gb micro sd reader ?
3/ more power output ? Like 50/50 mw ....
4/ longer battery ?
5/ even more exotic materials ? Such as silver wires inside the hardware ? Pure oxygen free copper on the printed board, and so on...etc....etc....

Well...lets just dream, and I don't want this ZX3 to be out anytime soon
biggrin.gif

1. Not a must but useful on Hi-Res

2. I barely have about 200 GB of music stocked on HDD (mix of DSD, 24bit and 16bit flacs/alacs), considering that Sony ZX Series have at least 128GB of internal memory, the additionnal 128GB on Micro SD should do the job for most users.

3. I'm still waiting for this one to come (maybe never as Sony respect the EU volume cap at 100% and applies same to other regions as well....Except for Japan where every Dap seems to be louder !!!)

4. We can't expect more than 10-12 hours on Hi-Res playback, that would make the dap bulky with a huge battery, FYI even the monster Astell & Kern AK240 offers only 5 hours on DSD playback.

5. As long as the DAC+AMP are wonderful, I can't see how exotic materials on the printed board would improve the sound quality, it will mainly depends on your iem cables and external connectors.

6. etc etc... I wish that Sony quit Android for it's flagship DAP, this OS needs too much resources to run well, therefore Android will drain the battery faster than on any proprietary OS.

The ZX3 surely won't be out so soon, the ZX2 has just been released.....Let's wait and see if future updates improve the ZX2 with some of your requests, such as support for bigger MicroSD etc.

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #2,871 of 14,755
Sony will have to be sweating blood to improve any Sound quality significantly on the Zx2 :D....probably will be possible with the use of exotic materials ....and for them to bleed like that, it will cost the consumers arms and legs to buy it lol....

I also agree with the OS...android is draining battery really quickly ... Also very annoying.

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #2,872 of 14,755
Sony will have to be sweating blood to improve any Sound quality significantly on the Zx2
biggrin.gif
....probably will be possible with the use of exotic materials ....and for them to bleed like that, it will cost the consumers arms and legs to buy it lol....

I also agree with the OS...android is draining battery really quickly ... Also very annoying.

We never know about the sound quality, technology is getting better and better over years ! The ZX3 will surely use more premium materials to improve the SQ, the retail price should be premium too
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2,873 of 14,755

Ugh, I soooo hate the double jack. Like i need yet another adapter to buy/bring with me and find even more room within my storage case all the time?!?! Probably, also, because it reminds me of those wonky jacks on older airplanes, which you never know what way to plug it in for proper right/left until there is an actual channel/audio cue within a movie or a song they're playing you know well.

Frankly the entire industry should just adapt the Sony solution so we have ONE set standard instead of two, or is it three, or four, or...? We have the super smaller one, the double jack one, the squarish one, and ???? Apologies for griping here, yet 1/8" has been a standard for forever and does fine. How about we all stay with that all you manufacturers reading this, please!

Ok, I could see needing a balanced adapter from female 1/4" to male 1/8" (and visa versa) for those with larger cabling/plugs, yet ditch all the others. What say you? (or should this gripe be a new thread?)

rolleyes.gif
...and don't forget this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/742609/sony-nw-zx2-hi-end-dap/705#post_11242435

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #2,874 of 14,755
Mar 13, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #2,875 of 14,755
Now now... 
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, I actually quite like the idea of that slightly larger plug size, provided Sony could succeed in getting it widely adopted, across the industry.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #2,877 of 14,755
Thank you for your confirmations. I thought I was hearing bias based imagination sounds :wink: but I spent 2 hours to examine the same song on both cards .....with the horrible removal of both cards back and forth....I can confirm that the cleaner and wider soundstage is very true.

Seeing how Sony Audiophile Micro SD has the same speed rated, I am very very curious about how it may change the sound ? Perhap Sandisk and other SD has different characteristics = based on their material used ? What if Sony used some exotic material for their SD as well ? :D

I'm not so sure that they can do a fundamental redesign as I doint Sony manufactured it. There are only a handful of manufacturers in the world. It probably is an OEm especially if it is made in Japan I'm guessing Toshiba

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,878 of 14,755

I just dropped off my cables for the Westone w60's to be re-terminated to TRRS. I came home and decided to dig out my old Sony XBA 4ip's for fun and noticed that they're already formatted with a TRRS plug. Ironically the volume controls don't work but the old xba's sound decent.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #2,879 of 14,755
  Now now... 
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, I actually quite like the idea of that slightly larger plug size, provided Sony could succeed in getting it widely adopted, across the industry.

It would still fit many portables but the problem would be to truly get it accepted. If it was, I would be fine with it. Strong and you would be more able to use better conducting metals vs just brass or brass with a steel pin for strength. But I think the 3.5mm TRRS does the job and takes up little room and it is inexpensive. I have some I bought for 3 dollars that are non magnetic and work great. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back